Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the lexus an interference motor. For example, if the timing belt slips does the valves hit the pistons?

Katie

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Katie

i would suggest posting this in the go fast area for a FAST REPLY.

PS 05 is having a new body style and motor, you might want to see what it looks like before you get an 04.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is300soon said:
Katie

i would suggest posting this in the go fast area for a FAST REPLY.

PS 05 is having a new body style and motor, you might want to see what it looks like before you get an 04.
I'll check it out thanks.

I think I figured it out after roaming the search for awhile. I got that the motor is not an interference motor-good. I just came from the dsm side (I owned a galant vr4) and have had experience with a tensioner failing.

Katie

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
yes the 2jzge engine in the IS300 is a valvebender... :cry:

fourdoor said:
in the lexus an interference motor. For example, if the timing belt slips does the valves hit the pistons?

Katie

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Welcome Katie,

trust me! it's an intereference motor! long, expensive story.....haha

Kane

·
Registered
935 Posts
IS_Dude said:

fourdoor said:

Katie
According to the Gates belts website it is NOT and interfence motor. No Lexus motors are apparently.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=981&location_id=540

Click on the link for the "timing belt replacement guide PDF" near the bottom of the page.

From what I can tell, no Toyota car engines have an interference design. Some of the trucks, i.e. Diesels and the 4.7L V8 in the Tundra do though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
is300sam2002 said:
If you don't believe it, remove cam belt, crank engine, find out.
Try it yourself and report back :lol:

Any motor, interference or not can bend a valve if over-reved. Also, shaving the head, or fitting non-stock pistons can turn a non-interference design into one that now will have intereference.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I didn't say to over rev it. This has all ben gone over before. The Gates thing is a mistake. Ask the guy that tried it while installing his cam gear.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
believe what you want. It is interference. Like someone said, remove the timing belt and have fun. Kanine knows better than anyone.

wjbertrand said:
IS_Dude said:

fourdoor said:

Katie
According to the Gates belts website it is NOT and interfence motor. No Lexus motors are apparently.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=981&location_id=540

Click on the link for the "timing belt replacement guide PDF" near the bottom of the page.

From what I can tell, no Toyota car engines have an interference design. Some of the trucks, i.e. Diesels and the 4.7L V8 in the Tundra do though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay thanks guys-the search provided false information. Thanks for the welcomes although I have been on this site since 2001 but forgot my password. I want to purchase an is300 and turbo it-eventually...

Katie

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
yes, it is interferance. toyota engines with VVT-i are all valve benders. The old 4.0 v-8's (befor 98 when vvti was introduced) were non-interferance. I wouldnt trust your "gate's belts" website for anything. check the factory serv. manual. it also states interferance engine!

·
Registered
247 Posts
For references sake, the 2JZGTE (Supra, Soarer, Aristo) is NOT an interference engine. They switched over to VVT on the 98 GTE's and I'm almost positive that is not an interference engine either.

Ryan <--- New guy from the Supra community

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ryan23 said:
For references sake, the 2JZGTE (Supra, Soarer, Aristo) is NOT an interference engine. They switched over to VVT on the 98 GTE's and I'm almost positive that is not an interference engine either.

Anyone ask Lexus/Toyota directly?? Got a copy of the service manual that states this is an interference motor? Not looking to prove anything, I just want to know for sure one way or the other.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
wjbertrand said:
Ryan23 said:

Anyone ask Lexus/Toyota directly?? Got a copy of the service manual that states this is an interference motor? Not looking to prove anything, I just want to know for sure one way or the other.
it's interference. damn......

Ryan is saying the GTE's weren't. that's because they have a different head, piston, and a thicker gasket.

The only real question in my mind is, "Is the stock GE motor in the IS a valve bender after adding a headgasket spacer like what comes w/ all the turbo kits?"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts