Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reply to "Is the IS300 worth $30500?" Compared to the BMW 330i it sure does!

BMW has just released information for the 330i, for comparison I've put together information below for anyone who's interested:

BMW 330i Base: $33,990
Lexus IS300 Base: $33595-34035 (At first average IS300's will be just about fully loaded from TEGS info) This base price estimate includes Power/Leather seats, homelink, moonroof, Limited Slip Differential /and Heated Seats.

Standard features on both cars are different but close to the same, although most would prefer what the IS300 has standard.

BMW: VSC,Heated windsheild washer jets, 1 touch auto window down feature on all windows (IS just drivers window), manual available, .1 faster 0-60, extra 10hp (-4 torque), possibly better gas milage

IS300: 6 Disk in-dash CD-Changer & good sounding system, HID's, Automatic Transmission with e-shift, longer warranty, more reliable car, lighter car 3270 vs 3373, 144mph top-speed vs 128mph (330i)

View BMW's Ordering Guide

Destination Charge 570.00
Automatic Transmission 1,275.00
Metallic Paint 475.00
Single CD-Player (replaces cassette) 200.00
Harmon Kardon Sound system 675.00
Xenon headlamps (HID's) 500.00
Leather Seats 1,450.00
Power Seats 945
Heated Seats 500
Memory Seating 350
Moonroof 1,050
Wood Trim 500.00
Fold Down Rear Seats 475
Rear Air-Bags 385.00
Navigation 1,800.00
All-Wheel-Drive $1,750.00

Sports Package 1,200.00
-Double Spoke wheels 17x7.5 front,17x8.5 rear
-Performance Tires
-Sport Suspension
-3 spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel
-10-way manual adjustable front seats
-M aerodynamic package
Premium Package 3,850.00
-Leather
-Power front Seats
-4 way power lumbar support
-moonroof
-wood
-Auto-dimming inside rear-view mirror
-Rain-sensing windshield wipers
Cold Weather Package 1,000.00
-Retractable headlight washers
-Heated front seats
-fold-down rear seats
-ski bag

The average IS300 costs about 33645 with Leather/Power seats,moonroof, heated seats. With these options the 330i would cost about $37845. Add a automatic transmission to that and you get $39120.

Its also possible that BMW may have softened the ride a bit so the car will appeal to more people (I think they did this to the 328i?), so you'll probably want to add the sport package to that list if you want the famous BMW ride, this adds up to over $40,000.

The 330i is about/over 45,000 fully loaded.

Looks like this car is for those who must have a manual transmission and don't mind a base model, or those who want all the features and have loads of $$$$$ to pay for it...

When Lexus releases the IS300 with a Manual Transmission (brings weight down, improves performance, better weight dist., hopefully lower price under 30K) it will blow away the 330i when it comes to what you get for your money.

[ TEG fixed your URL link ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
But alot of people wish that the IS300 had these options (330i has them):

1> NAV system
2> Fold down rear seat
3> Rear seat air bags???

Hmm... All wheel drive for $1750...
Thats not too bad. I wish the IS300
had that option too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the test drive will be the ultimate factor, facts and figures are okay but I have to like the feel of the car. Handling etc. Also, Edmunds.com updated some of the IS300 info today.
I like the option interior trunk lid release handle helps prevent entrapment in the trunk.

[This message has been edited by AlexS (edited May 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for fixing that link for me TEG!

Yeah, those options are very cool...
The one thing I really like about BMW is that you can customize your car to your liking. Too bad I don't have the cash for that

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
To TEG and ALL
I was wondering.... (Since you appreciate the ALL WHEEL DRIVE) ..What would you rather have... An Audi S4 or an even more expensive (depending on how it's optioned) and slower BMW 330Xi?
Eric......

·
Registered
59 Posts
And here is the trivia question of the day!

What makes the emergency release handle, inside the trunk of the IS300, unique??.....

You may all know this, but humour me.

Please post correct answers ...first five (5)correct answers, based on time that the answers were posted , recieve a Lexus promotional item. Good luck!!

(we will e-mail to arrange to send the item.)

Answer and listing of winners to be announced on 5-27-2000

Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by ISBlain (edited May 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Um, it acts as a kill switch too? Like if you were stuck in a trunk, you know, kidnapped or something, wouldn't you want the car to stop moving if you were going to escape?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, I found the specs on the 325i's engine over at bimmer.org, they seem pretty sure that these are the official specs.
http://pkx.todiefor.com/cars/bmw/e46faq/m54engine.html (330i specs are lower for NA)

325i:
192 HP (22 increase)
180 Torque (-1 decrease)

From the look of things 0-60 performance should be very much the same, since their is no Torque increase. Do you guys think the 325i will recieve a weight increase like the 330i did? That may actually slow things down...

The website says the engine objectives are:
-Lower emissions (ULEV)
-Maintain Fuel Economy
-Maintain Power and Performance levels
I guess BMW didn't want to improve performance much... I think their trying to have a good all around engine to share throughout their model line up so they can cut down costs and also they want ULEV compliancy.

Production for the 2.5L engine starts until 9/00.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its illuminated with a new polymer substance that allows visual eye contact to intiate the opening process, by reading the retna in the eye with a special bio-enhanced micro computer thats in the handle its self. So you are identefied in a split second the trunk pops open and your home free to drive away in your car again..!!!

well at least it would be cool if it was true!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its illuminated with a new polymer substance that allows visual eye contact to intiate the opening process, by reading the retna in the eye with a special bio-enhanced micro computer thats in the handle its self. So you are identefied in a split second the trunk pops open and your home free to drive away in your car again..!!!

well at least it would be cool if it was true!!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The S4 is very tempting because it is higher performance. Even though I tend to dislike turbos, I think I would pick the S4 over the 330ix to get the better performance. If I lived at a high altitutde I would be buying an S4 (or upcoming Subaru WRX) because all-wheel-drive is the best for snowy weather, and turbochargers help with power more at higher altitudes. I wonder how the S4 actually does in the snow with the stock tires (which seem to be "summer performance tires"). It would probably be great with winter tires.

Since I live in the flatlands and don't get to snowcountry very often, I have decided that the benefits (better traction & roadholding) of AWD aren't worth the downsides (more cost, more weight, reduced fuel mileage) to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great news! We have one winner!

The release handle in the trunk glows in the dark.

JW is the winner. ( I'll give it to you)

Now I need to know where to send the IS300
poster!

Please let me know if you want it.

ISblain

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Sweet! Sure, I want it.

Here's my email: [email protected]. We can work out the details.

Originally posted by ISBlain:
Great news! We have one winner!

The release handle in the trunk glows in the dark.

JW is the winner. ( I'll give it to you)

Now I need to know where to send the IS300
poster!

Please let me know if you want it.

ISblain

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
ISBlain, I knew that. Like he said Ford already has that too. Lexus has already had the emergency trunk release, but only in the higher-priced models. Can I have a poster too? You said the first five people. My e-mail address is the following: [email protected]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Though there may not be much movement from the sticker price in the beginning my vote is that the IS is worth the price. It seems to stack up against the A4, 3 and C quite nicely. Sure they all differ in strengths when considering performance, luxury and value, but there all competing for our dollar pretty evenly. I think the IS is the best value.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by jim23:
ISBlain, I knew that. Like he said Ford already has that too. Lexus has already had the emergency trunk release, but only in the higher-priced models. Can I have a poster too? You said the first five people. My e-mail address is the following: [email protected]
Since I didn't have five responses before I posted the answer, I only gave away one. I will arrange to package sometging up for you though...Watch your e-mail.. ISblain

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I think you're typing the letter "O" instead of a zero. Everything after 'jw' is a number; so the 3rd character is a zero, not the letter 'O'. Hope that helps.

Or try sending an email to my alternate email: [email protected].

Originally posted by ISBlain:
Tried to e-mail you, JW... not ablre to get through to [email protected]. Let me know if I am making an error!!
ISBlain

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 31, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
JW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing