Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deposit down on a IS now but Im am serioulsy thinking about getting it back. At 34K I'm starting to belive that I'm paying to much for what I'm getting. My delima is to go with the S4 or the IS. For a few thousand more I could get a more refined interior, four doors, equal warranty with maintenance included (01 models only), and a six speed twin turbo that blows the doors of most anything on the road today. I'm confused

·
Registered
94 Posts
S4 will cost you at least 10K+ more with the same type of options. Reliability will probably be another issue.

sklim1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it WORTH it- you betcha.

Do you want more?

You seem to. You beautifully illustrated the difference between the IS and the others, and it seems as if what the S4 has, you want-

So stop asking and choose!!

You won't be unhappy either way- though, when I pull up next to you at a light- what car are folks gonna be looking at?

The IS, cause you'll blow me off the line. But see, I don't care, cause I'll be stylin' as I pass the cop giving you a ticket

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get the S4 then if you don't mind paying for it. The S4 looks to be pretty kickass.

If I were you I'd go for the IS and invest the difference in price but hey, that's me.

BTW, the IS rocks. It is worth the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been playing the "for a few grand more" deal for a while now. I was looking at the BMW 330 and said for a "few" grand more (i.e. 5-10K) I could get it. Of course if I'm looking at the 330 - for a few grand more why not just get a 540? Bottom line is the IS seems like the biggest bang for the buck in this class.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by spud_kat:
I've been playing the "for a few grand more" deal for a while now. I was looking at the BMW 330 and said for a "few" grand more (i.e. 5-10K) I could get it. Of course if I'm looking at the 330 - for a few grand more why not just get a 540? Bottom line is the IS seems like the biggest bang for the buck in this class.
Just to add to above comments, you can get a pretty big headache because once you get to the 50K range, there's a new class of comparsions.

Once you get over that 0-60 thing, you are going to wish your Beamer look as good as the IS. hehe

sklim1

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Absolutely!!! Hands down the Lexus IS300 is the best car for the money. For a comparably equipped Bimmer or A4, you'd pay at least $42K. I've had my IS for almost 2 weeks now, and the more I drive it the more I love it.
It's a wonderful car...definitely more reliable than an Audi and as good, if not better, than a 330i. My dad owns a GS400, and I know first hand that Lexus makes some of the best cars in the world - not to mention the exceptional service.
I considered the A4, 330i, and the C320, and went for the IS300. It's simply the best choice.
You won't regret it!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
spud_kat,
the 540 is no where near the price of the 330i. I know the 330i is a rip off, but it is not quite that ridiculous yet. My friend just pick up his 540i fully loaded 1 month ago, and guess how much he paid for? ~$65,000 out the door, and that is with $250 off the MSRP + free CD-changer + some free interior and exterior care kit + some more stuff. For that money, I'll get a new LS430 or a Porsche Carrera 2.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The IS300 is definately worth it and the build quality is exceptional. The Lexus customer service makes me feel I will always own a Lexus. The car is great. You also dodge the luxury tax.
Chris

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I kind of think the S4 is a better deal at around $40k than an IS at $34.5. I haven't driven an S4, but the A4 is not as communicative in steering feel, clutch and brakes as a BMW or IS300 (minus the clutch) or even my Integra. However, if you can live with the steering and brake feel, the S4 is the obvious choice. It's very reliable (A4 is anyway, look at Consumer Reports), extremely fast, safe, beautiful interior/exterior etc. I just can't live with the relatively numb steering, touchy brake feel and the understeering AWD handling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts