Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the amount of posts regarding getting tickets and accidents related to speed, in tandem with the ones about how the IS300 is too slow, I begin to wonder what the general consensus is amongst y'all...

Sure, sometimes I wish my IS were faster so I could blow away the riced out Integras that pull up next to me at the stoplight, or the Maximas or 350Z's, but honestly, if I wanted to do that, I very well could! The engine in the IS300 probably has the most potential for speed of any engine in any competing automobile. So, what I want to know is:

Is the stock IS too slow?

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
okwiater said:
With the amount of posts regarding getting tickets and accidents related to speed, in tandem with the ones about how the IS300 is too slow, I begin to wonder what the general consensus is amongst y'all...

Sure, sometimes I wish my IS were faster so I could blow away the riced out Integras that pull up next to me at the stoplight, or the Maximas or 350Z's, but honestly, if I wanted to do that, I very well could! The engine in the IS300 probably has the most potential for speed of any engine in any competing automobile. So, what I want to know is:

Is the stock IS too slow?
-I cannot answer this YET (since I do not have my IS yet) but I know it is not going to be as fast as my old civic... so when an import pulls up on me, I am not going to make myself look stupid and TRY to race them... Just turn up the volume and make their mirrors fall off :p

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i think car size and engine size of the is300 is perfect

ive driven v8s 4cyl 6cy

and soo far the IS satisfied me for what it has :wink:

·
11,062 Posts
Too slow for what? Drag racing? I'm not into that. What I love is the tight handling. It makes every day driving FUN.

·
Registered
84 Posts
People gotta understand and take the IS for what it is. If you complained about the car being slow after you bought it, then you should've gotten something else. The IS is a true ethusiasts car and with 1G spent on the suspension its a demon on the corners. Not to mention you can go pretty fast too with the F/I upgrades. Any car can be made to go fast with nitrous or F/I. But only a few has the complete package in terms of comfort, handling, smoothness, and luxury at a reasonable price like the IS. The G35 coupe is the only other car I see that's comparable but the interior isnt as nice and it isn't comfortable(my opinion). So if you're thinking about how fast you can get to 60 mph 70 percent of the time when you're in your IS, maybe it isn't the right car for you. :wink:

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Drag racing rice-boys isn't my forte, so it's fine for me. Of course, I wouldn't complain at all if I had a little boost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
of course its way too slow. Toyota/Lexus has been dragging their feet in the power category on all their models for the last 3-5 years. Every Toyota or Lexus model has the lowest or 2nd lowest HP and torque figures of any other vehicle in their respective class (i.e. Camry is weaker than accord, altima...IS300 is at the bottom of its class, GS300, GS430 are both well below their MB or BMW competition, corolla is behind Civic, sentra, impreza etc, etc....) the only saving grace of the IS300 is its ability to be blown with turbo kits readily available...however not many people can afford them and not many people wish to void their warranty. so all in all, its too slow. end of story. As far as handling goes, of course it shines much brighter in that category, but power is well below what it should be.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
The car is plenty fast for most people.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
The gs430 has more power then is competitor the 540.
Realistically how many camry owners care about HP?

the is300 has 215 hp 217 tq
the new a4 has what 225?
the 330 225?
and the g35s 280.

if they threw an exhaust on it for 10hp would that make you happy?

jimcls260 said:
of course its way too slow. Toyota/Lexus has been dragging their feet in the power category on all their models for the last 3-5 years. Every Toyota or Lexus model has the lowest or 2nd lowest HP and torque figures of any other vehicle in their respective class (i.e. Camry is weaker than accord, altima...IS300 is at the bottom of its class, GS300, GS430 are both well below their MB or BMW competition, corolla is behind Civic, sentra, impreza etc, etc....) the only saving grace of the IS300 is its ability to be blown with turbo kits readily available...however not many people can afford them and not many people wish to void their warranty. so all in all, its too slow. end of story. As far as handling goes, of course it shines much brighter in that category, but power is well below what it should be.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I believe GTE ran 14.9sec on 1/4 mile stock, and MotorTrend ran 0-60mph in 6.5 on a stock L-tuned IS. That's pretty good for a 215hp car, don't you think?

Take the car through corners and see if you'll still call it slow. Seriously, corner it hard (but do it safe).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know about you guys....But my IS is definately not slow!!!! Completely stock I've hit :D "140" :D numerous times.....If thats not fast enough I recommend staying away from the paraphernalia!!! :chill: :chill:

·
Registered
322 Posts
All depends on the driver. Stock IS E-shift gets to 60 mph in a tad over 7 seconds. You can cut that down to 6.5 or even a bit lower with a manual and a knowledge of how do drive stick (or a torque converter on the E-shift). Bottom line, it has great potential for bolt-ons, a bit of luxury, and handles like a dream, even stock! Not to mention, its a fu$%in HOT car! :D

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
yes, both for its class and for overall, but its not like its a secret before you purchase the car. although i would have liked it to come with the GTE engine stock, for the sake of being easy to modify, the fact that it isn't makes it a great sleeper, which i like

-gte

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
42 Participants
hellaFreez
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing