Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone has any information about this, i would like to know it. i will wait to buy this car until it comes in stick from the factory, instead of paying someone to put a 6 speed in it. tia

[This message has been edited by IS300GTE (edited November 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My educated guess is that a 5-speed (yes FIVE, _not_ SIX) will be available by August, 2001...

Some people claim that it will arrive in a couple of months, but I tend to believe it won't arrive until the 2002 model year.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i guess that is better than nothing. thank you for your reply. hopefully it will arrive sometime in the next months, but you are probably right, it will be delayed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It would be stupid for Lexus to release the mtx version unannounced this late in the model year. They would piss off a lot of IS300 owners who had to "settle" for the atx. The release video said that the atx version will be out "in about a year". That was in June.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I doubt we will get a 6 speed. Mostly because Lexus already said 5 speed is on the way. Plus the 6 speed found in Supras are too heavy and will affect the balance of the car. The 6 speed found in the Altezza can't handle the torque of the Inline 6 (I am guessing it can if it's stock, but knowing ppl will mod it, Lexus don't want to risk of a screwed up transmission recall or problems). If you want to know more about the 6 speed in the Altezza, I believe it's made by Aisin. It's also used in the Special Edition Miats 6 speed.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
My educated guess is that a 5-speed (yes FIVE, _not_ SIX) will be available by August, 2001...

Some people claim that it will arrive in a couple of months, but I tend to believe it won't arrive until the 2002 model year.
I would guess that because you guys have the same engine as the NA (non turbo) Supra, which had a 5 speed. Makes sense for them to just drop that thing in.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
How come a 6-speed will fit in my Tiny TT....?? So I'm sure it would be possible to fit a 6-speed in an IS300 but they would make it a 5 speed because the A4 and 330 are only available with 5-speeds..
Eric...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
How come a 6-speed will fit in my Tiny TT....?? So I'm sure it would be possible to fit a 6-speed in an IS300 but they would make it a 5 speed because the A4 and 330 are only available with 5-speeds..
Eric...
Everything is possible, the question is: is it necessary? And for a company, is it financially beneficial?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I dont think they would put the 4cyl Altezza 6 speed in this car. That tranny was designed to fit a 4 banger and wont stand up to the torque of the IS300. I really doubt they would put the 6 speed Supra tranny in the IS300 either..its clunky as hell, very loud and it annoys people when shifting gears. FYI this tranny is made by Getrag,a Germany company, its also found in some BMWs and Porsches...strong as hell but doesnt fit the criteria of a Lexus. Certainly seems like a 5 speed would be better off. But then again this isnt a ordinary Lexus, they want it to compete with BMWs and Audis in performance..a 6 speed just sounds more appealing. Also found out that they offer a 6 speed for the N/A Supras in Japan, it has a higher final drive ratio then the Turbo..not sure if its a Getrag. Maybe they will think about putting that one in there.

------------------
KP
94 6 speed
BPU

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"How come a 6-speed will fit in my Tiny TT....?? So I'm sure it would be possible to
fit a 6-speed in an IS300 but they would make it a 5 speed because the A4 and
330 are only available with 5-speeds..
Eric..."

TINY TT???? if you are refering to a supra mk4, there is nothing really tiny about that car. actually, the IS is lighter, the turbo mk4 weighs 3445 without targa and 3505 with targa. the IS is 3270 with an auto trans.
wheel base on the supra is 100.4" and the IS is 105.1".
overall length for the supra is 177.8" and the IS is 176.6".
width on the supra is 71.3" and on the IS is 67.7"
overall height on the supra is 50.2" and on the IS is 54.9".
so, the IS is actually smaller and lighter in every category but height, when compared to a mk4 supra, based on manufacturers data on both cars from toyota.
i think it would fit, but the U.S. will probably get screwed and only get a 5 speed if anything, even though in europe you can get the 2jzge mated to the 6 speed trans in the IS300 i have been told.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Yes, it's true that the European IS's get 6-speeds...only because they have the 2.0L I6 engine.

As for a 6-speed manual for IS300's...I think it would be unnecessary given the characteristics of a torquey 3.0L engine. Thus a 5 speed is, in the very least, adequate for most people.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
"How come a 6-speed will fit in my Tiny TT....?? So I'm sure it would be possible to
fit a 6-speed in an IS300 but they would make it a 5 speed because the A4 and
330 are only available with 5-speeds..
Eric..."

TINY TT???? if you are refering to a supra mk4, there is nothing really tiny about that car. actually, the IS is lighter, the turbo mk4 weighs 3445 without targa and 3505 with targa. the IS is 3270 with an auto trans.
wheel base on the supra is 100.4" and the IS is 105.1".
overall length for the supra is 177.8" and the IS is 176.6".
width on the supra is 71.3" and on the IS is 67.7"
overall height on the supra is 50.2" and on the IS is 54.9".
so, the IS is actually smaller and lighter in every category but height, when compared to a mk4 supra, based on manufacturers data on both cars from toyota.
i think it would fit, but the U.S. will probably get screwed and only get a 5 speed if anything, even though in europe you can get the 2jzge mated to the 6 speed trans in the IS300 i have been told.

I think he's talking about an Audi TT.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh, oops.
hey TEG, do you go by the nic "TEGFREAK" also?

[From TEG: Nope - never did - where did you see that alias being used??? ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I won't be surprise if they come out with a manual in a few months mainly because I saw it this pass weekend already. I am sure that will be the 5-speed going into the IS300, and if that is the case then that mean the transmission can held at least 265hp (that's what the pace car claim to have).
Anyway, hopefully Lexus will have a good manual out and shut those magazine editors mouth about IS300 not being able to perform as well as the 330i stick.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you in the US? did that pace car have the 2jzge in it? where was this at, location wise? tia

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
And all those other nay-sayers (who shall remain unidentified) too...

Originally posted by Daniel:
Anyway, hopefully Lexus will have a good manual out and shut those magazine editors mouth about IS300 not being able to perform as well as the 330i stick.
I wonder why those editors don't test the automatic versions alongside the manual versions.

Hey IS300GTE, check this old thread: http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum1/HTML/003113.html

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes I am in the U.S., the car was at california speedway, and the engine is the 2jz-ge with a supercharger (I assume it to be the TRD one, but it may not be after thinking about it).
Those editors do not use the auto with the Bimmers because they can stay more bias with them. Have you read the recent magazine on the SUV in I think Motortrend or Car and Driver? They are so biased to the X5 it is not even funny. By looking at the interior of the RX, X5, and MDX pictures, how can you give X5 the best interior? (I personally think the MDX's interior is the best of the three, and I think most people will agree) I think I am just going to stop reading these magazines now.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JW , thanks for the link, it is much appreciated, the pics were cool also. daniel must be using a sony to take those pictures, huh daniel?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
15 Participants
JW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing