Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure it probably is, almost %100 sure. Just want to make sure.

Why im asking?

Hondas/acuras in the 80's, early 90's and mid 90's were all built and assembled %100 in Japan. Both manufacturers seem to be assembling them in the US or building the powertrain in the US now. I know there are expections like the NSX, S2000, TSX, etc. (this is just my speculation from the past hondas ive owned)

I've been browsing the Acura TL forum because ive been interested in it. The new 04' TL is assembled in Ohio, and for what i heard the engine is built here. Alot of people in the Acura forum been experiencing problems already with their car. Gear poping out of gear during driving (manual). Leather seats already cracking (not crack more like creases) after 2 weeks of ownership, check engine light comes on, vibrations at 50mph, etc, etc..

What im trying to get too. I will never buy a car that is assembled or any powertrain parts made in the US. I think this decreases the qauilty significantly.

My dad bought a brand new Accord back in '86 and that thing had 450k miles on it when we finally sold it 3 years ago. We did NOTHING to that engine. Only required mantainence. And the tranny blew once, which was expected.
I dont know if new cars these days can travel this many miles without replacing an engine.

I really want to purchase a Lexus IS on 9/04. Either a '04 or a '05 model.

Is the Lexus IS300 built and assemelbed 100 percent in Japan?

Thomas

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, they are built in Japan. That is one of the reasons why it takes so long if you special order one.

·
8,849 Posts
IS300 is made in japan.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
i think you can tell by the VIN number as well...the letters at the beginning of your VIN indicate where the car was made. my honda was HGxxxxx (HG indicating Canada). J indicating Japan, etc. My IS's VIN begins with a J... :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't make blanket statements based on one model!

The only Lexus assembled outside of Japan is the new RX330, which is made in Canada.
Final assembly for the IS is in Japan, but some suppliers may be outside the country. Remember, it's a global market, and Toyota is in the business of making money. If a part meets their criteria for performance but costs less because it's made in Taiwan, you better believe that's where they'll buy it.
But all of this crap about cars that are assembled in the US being lower quality than other countries is BS. If Honda is having problems with the new TL, then it is most likely due to design issues. They've been making Accords in OH for years now. (Just like Camrys are made in Kentucky, Tundras in Indiana, Corollas in San Francisco, etc, etc) Japanese companies don't just hand over the keys to a production plant and say "Have at it boys!". They are there every step of the way.......guiding, influencing, making sure that their company name isn't tarnished. They have a LOT at stake. Afterall, Camry and Accord are the #1 and #2 selling cars in the US. Nearly 100% of those vehicles are built within our borders.
Sure, there will always be production issues related to certain plants, companies, models, etc. But to make a blanket statement that US manufacturing plants create inferior products is ignorant, and isn't based on good critical thinking.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I bought my IS, the salesman showed me a powerpoint slideshow from when the GM of the dealership went to check out Lexus' operation in Japan. It's pretty crazy...there were swarms of little Japanese men in white lab coats pouring over every inch of the car with magnifying glasses. Before the car is shipped to the states, they are wrapped in plastic and the engine compartment and underbody are filled with some kind of foam that keeps salt out during the boatride over here. It's all removed when the cars reach Seattle.

I know, I know...you were looking for a simple yes or no.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ISinOH said:
When I bought my IS, the salesman showed me a powerpoint slideshow from when the GM of the dealership went to check out Lexus' operation in Japan. It's pretty crazy...there were swarms of little Japanese men in white lab coats pouring over every inch of the car with magnifying glasses. Before the car is shipped to the states, they are wrapped in plastic and the engine compartment and underbody are filled with some kind of foam that keeps salt out during the boatride over here. It's all removed when the cars reach Seattle.

I know, I know...you were looking for a simple yes or no.
No I'm not looking for a simple yes or no. Thats interesting. I doubt that American manufacturers will scope out every car with magnifying glasses. Thats interesting. Thanks for the post.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Don't make blanket statements based on one model!

2ManyHobbies said:
The only Lexus assembled outside of Japan is the new RX330, which is made in Canada.
Final assembly for the IS is in Japan, but some suppliers may be outside the country. Remember, it's a global market, and Toyota is in the business of making money. If a part meets their criteria for performance but costs less because it's made in Taiwan, you better believe that's where they'll buy it.
But all of this crap about cars that are assembled in the US being lower quality than other countries is BS. If Honda is having problems with the new TL, then it is most likely due to design issues. They've been making Accords in OH for years now. (Just like Camrys are made in Kentucky, Tundras in Indiana, Corollas in San Francisco, etc, etc) Japanese companies don't just hand over the keys to a production plant and say "Have at it boys!". They are there every step of the way.......guiding, influencing, making sure that their company name isn't tarnished. They have a LOT at stake. Afterall, Camry and Accord are the #1 and #2 selling cars in the US. Nearly 100% of those vehicles are built within our borders.
Sure, there will always be production issues related to certain plants, companies, models, etc. But to make a blanket statement that US manufacturing plants create inferior products is ignorant, and isn't based on good critical thinking.
I just think that when they build foreign cars here in the states the quality and reliablitiy lessons. Thats just my opinion.

My sis bought a brand new Accord in 02, After 15k miles she had problems with her tranny. The dealer told her there are experiencing lots of problems with the trannys in '02. They told her the tranny wasnt built in Japan and the ones that were in the '02 Accord models are fine.

Thomas

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, my opinion is...

IS300---->Made, Build and Assemble in Japan
Never compare Honda Accord with IS300.
Lexus has it's quality control department in order to make sure each of their cars made out right and meet satisfaction of their consumers. Even though RX330's are made in Canada or outside Japan, it's still have to reached its goal to come out from the factory/manufacture. So, it doesn't mean that cars made out of Japan aren't good. They are all depend on the company and each manufacturing department.

I personally like the car that build in Japan, don't know why and don't ask me why, because it's my preferance.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
CRB said:
I believe that the IS300 is a kit car assembled in Jalisco, Mexico...but I'm not sure. :crazy:
Entirely in the Toyota plant in Iwate, Japan. The old Lexus coupe was built there.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
CRB said:
CRB said:
I believe that the IS300 is a kit car assembled in Jalisco, Mexico...but I'm not sure. :crazy:
Entirely in the Toyota plant in Iwate, Japan. The old Lexus coupe was built there.
yup, KANTO AUTOWORKS....I remember someone used to have a link for their site...its interesting to see all the different models they make there...

·
Registered
924 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
CRB said:
CRB said:
yup, KANTO AUTOWORKS....I remember someone used to have a link for their site...its interesting to see all the different models they make there...
Here's the link: http://www.kanto-aw.co.jp/eng/index.htm

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I'm sure if cars were hand built - they'd be much better made in Japan. But modern Japanese cars are mostly built by robots these days, who tend to be the same quality wherever they are.
I work for a Japanese company, so I know that Japanese workers will stay til 2 am if they need to fine tune some process to overly ambitious specs. US workers will just say "Fuck it, it's close enough" at 5 pm and go home.
Honda quality is definitely way down, but I don't know if you can say it's due to US manufacture or other issues.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ckolsen said:
I'm sure if cars were hand built - they'd be much better made in Japan. But modern Japanese cars are mostly built by robots these days, who tend to be the same quality wherever they are.
I work for a Japanese company, so I know that Japanese workers will stay til 2 am if they need to fine tune some process to overly ambitious specs. US workers will just say "f*ck it, it's close enough" at 5 pm and go home.
Honda quality is definitely way down, but I don't know if you can say it's due to US manufacture or other issues.
I agree with you.

Thomas

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about Japanese cars made in other parts of the world. One minor criticism of Japanese managers in the international arena is that they try too hard to meet Japanese standards. So I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
everything lexus is built in japan except the US market RX330.
Let's clarify. Loaded RX 330s will continue to be built in Japan. The Canadian plant is to fulfill all those FWD orders of the RX.

They are incredible, they designed the plant to mimic the Japanese plant but to scale for Canadians, since they are larger than Japanese workers.

Made in Japan is confident assuring but it is really Toyota's management and philosophy that makes it excel. Hell if all cars in Japan were awesome, Mitsu, Nissan, Madza would all be tops in reliability. They are not, b/c they don't believe in some of the things Toyota does.

Nissan is also having a lot of problems with the new made in America Maxima. It's not the workers, it's management. The Accord/Camry/Solora/Tundra etc have been built here for years and they are some of the best cars built.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts