Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it? and have anyone had any kind of trouble with the e-shift tranny?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Auto tranny seem to be built stronger than the manual.

E-shift feature is worthless only if you pretend it's a manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,321 Posts
if you want a manual, get a manual. eshift works as well as you'd expect it to....i just leave it in '5' all the time and occasionally downshift on the freeway.

if you're trying to do a redlight race with the eshift.....good luck lol it's frustrating as hell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was trying to red line. also it wont f up my tranny if i downshift like 5th gear 5000rpm to 4th rite. just need to know if downshift is ok to do. dont want a f up tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
van48 said:
yeah i was trying to red line. also it wont f up my tranny if i downshift like 5th gear 5000rpm to 4th rite. just need to know if downshift is ok to do. dont want a f up tranny.
The e-shift was designed to be pretty idiot proof. It won't let you down shift via buttons if you're rpm's are too high. You can however tach out and the rev lmiter kicks in, no big thing. And yes the auto tranny is built a little stronger than the manual tranny. I know of no problems with the auto tranny. The only problems that ever arose had to do with the ecu and not the tranny.

I've grown to like the e-shift, its kinda like the lazy man's stick shift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,816 Posts
SDAztecIS300 said:
van48 said:
yeah i was trying to red line. also it wont f up my tranny if i downshift like 5th gear 5000rpm to 4th rite. just need to know if downshift is ok to do. dont want a f up tranny.
The e-shift was designed to be pretty idiot proof. It won't let you down shift via buttons if you're rpm's are too high. You can however tach out and the rev lmiter kicks in, no big thing. And yes the auto tranny is built a little stronger than the manual tranny. I know of no problems with the auto tranny. The only problems that ever arose had to do with the ecu and not the tranny.

I've grown to like the e-shift, its kinda like the lazy man's stick shift.
I like that term "lazy man's stick shift" :lol: If you want quicker shifts with the e-shift, I recommend getting a TeCK Grounding Kit and also a TBKO ESK as well, they will cut your shift time in half instead of 1.5 seconds per shift, goes to 0.5 seconds.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
van48 said:
yeah i was trying to red line. also it wont f up my tranny if i downshift like 5th gear 5000rpm to 4th rite. just need to know if downshift is ok to do. dont want a f up tranny.
E-Shift will not downshift for you (luckily) in this scenario. If your car is @5000 RPM in 5th gear, you are moving at the speed of approx 130MPH. 4th gear will top out at 114 MPH.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52,610 Posts
I like e-shift for keeping the car in whatever gear I need for a given situation, but I never use it for "stoplight takeoffs". It's nice for engine braking or having power on tap for coming out of curves and on hills. I like that better than trying to use the console shifter for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
bartkat said:
I like e-shift for keeping the car in whatever gear I need for a given situation, but I never use it for "stoplight takeoffs". It's nice for engine braking or having power on tap for coming out of curves and on hills. I like that better than trying to use the console shifter for that.
^^^
agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
vlad_a said:
van48 said:
yeah i was trying to red line. also it wont f up my tranny if i downshift like 5th gear 5000rpm to 4th rite. just need to know if downshift is ok to do. dont want a f up tranny.
E-Shift will not downshift for you (luckily) in this scenario. If your car is @5000 RPM in 5th gear, you are moving at the speed of approx 130MPH. 4th gear will top out at 114 MPH.
new definition of engine braking :shame:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
jolt at low speeds.

I have an '01 and I've probably used the e-shift all of 7 times. The only time I use it is in stop and go traffic just to keep the car from shifting up and down gears as traffic speeds up and slows down. My only problem with the e-shift version is the bit of a jolt when accelerating from a rolling stop. It just seems hard to get a smooth transition from first to second. I've had the ECU reprogrammed but it still does this.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
goldark said:
vlad_a said:
van48 said:
yeah i was trying to red line. also it wont f up my tranny if i downshift like 5th gear 5000rpm to 4th rite. just need to know if downshift is ok to do. dont want a f up tranny.
E-Shift will not downshift for you (luckily) in this scenario. If your car is @5000 RPM in 5th gear, you are moving at the speed of approx 130MPH. 4th gear will top out at 114 MPH.
new definition of engine braking :shame:
Some engine braking. :crazy:

Just for fun, I calculated the results for this case:
5,000 RPM in 5th Gear=125.15 MPH
125.15 MPH in 4th Gear=6,666 RPM.

Redline=6,400 RPM. :bitching:

The good thing E-shift ECU can calculate it too. It will produce a double beeping sound indicating it not liking the downshifting idea and will refuse the action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damm eshift is that smart huh. the lazy man stick lol. thanx for all the info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
van48 said:
damm eshift is that smart huh. the lazy man stick lol. thanx for all the info
You people must not have any good twisty canyon roads where you live. :roll: I use my E-shift all the time and don't have to wear out my knee and clutch when I'm sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :bitching: :bitching:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52,610 Posts
Vman said:
van48 said:
damm eshift is that smart huh. the lazy man stick lol. thanx for all the info
You people must not have any good twisty canyon roads where you live. :roll: I use my E-shift all the time and don't have to wear out my knee and clutch when I'm sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :bitching: :bitching:
If you have eshift, you don't have a clutch. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,439 Posts
The only thing that sucks bout the e-shift is that you can't downshift to 1!!! :pissed: good thing i got the 5sp manual :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Mr.Is300 said:
The only thing that sucks bout the e-shift is that you can't downshift to 1!!! :pissed: good thing i got the 5sp manual :crazy:

You can't downshift to one in a manuel and iif u did its a major NO NO :shame:

It wont let u in ANY manuel its some mecanism.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
RdRoket said:
Mr.Is300 said:
The only thing that sucks bout the e-shift is that you can't downshift to 1!!! :pissed: good thing i got the 5sp manual :crazy:

You can't downshift to one in a manuel and iif u did its a major NO NO :shame:

It wont let u in ANY manuel its some mecanism.
Sure you can. If you actually know how to operate it properly. Major "NO NO?" I disagree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
vlad_a said:
RdRoket said:
Mr.Is300 said:
The only thing that sucks bout the e-shift is that you can't downshift to 1!!! :pissed: good thing i got the 5sp manual :crazy:

You can't downshift to one in a manuel and iif u did its a major NO NO :shame:

It wont let u in ANY manuel its some mecanism.
Sure you can. If you actually know how to operate it properly. Major "NO NO?" I disagree.
I can shift into first no problem given that my speed is low enough. If you're below ~20mph (i think) it will let you shift into first. Just make sure your revs are high. Occasionaly I do this when I'm going through the EZpass toll lane and want to have some fun ;) You just cant be a dumbass about it and try to put it in first when you're going 40 (which the tranny locks you out of anyway)
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top