Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i got bored and i was looking under the hood of my car and i just wanted to see how to turn off the DRLs and if i could take out the grill just to see what it looks like with out it. Obviously i have nothing better to do. Then I looked at the engine cover(the black piece of plastic w/ the L logo on it) and saw the four nuts, (its actually two nut and two bolts that hold it in. Well, i figured out that all the nuts are 10mm so i started to take them out. I took of the engine cover and under it is just all silver metal and on it there is an emblem that says something like ECTi. I was wondering if it would be bad for the paint on my hood if i were to drive with the engine cover off?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by LexDymndz:
I was wondering if it would be bad for the paint on my hood if i were to drive with the engine cover off?
I doubt that it will have any harmful effects on your paint or hood, if you are going to take off your engine cover I would suggest asking your dealer about it.

[This message has been edited by JoeD (edited October 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
LexDymndz said:
Yesterday i got bored and i was looking under the hood of my car and i just wanted to see how to turn off the DRLs and if i could take out the grill just to see what it looks like with out it. Obviously i have nothing better to do. Then I looked at the engine cover(the black piece of plastic w/ the L logo on it) and saw the four nuts, (its actually two nut and two bolts that hold it in. Well, i figured out that all the nuts are 10mm so i started to take them out. I took of the engine cover and under it is just all silver metal and on it there is an emblem that says something like ECTi. I was wondering if it would be bad for the paint on my hood if i were to drive with the engine cover off?
I took mine off and had no problems

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Thats cool. I heard that if you did the same thing 2 years ago the car might blow up. Pretty sure the fixed the problem since then, so you should be cool.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
for the less-bright among us, the post ^^above^^ was what we call "sarcasm". :lol:

·
Registered
501 Posts
LexDymndz,

all it will do is make your engine more dirty, I took mines off for about a month, and since I in an area where there is a lot of dirt flying around, well, let me just tell ya, I take a lot longer cleaning my engine bay.

And the Lexus mechanic's told me there is no harm in not having it there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts