Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The northeast was just pummeled with three back to back snow storms this past week and a half and was the first time I got to try out the IS250 AWD (2007 model) in snow. So I just wanted to compare my results with other owners of IS (any model is fine from any year).

Overall with my vehicle, I haven't had any problems getting stuck. Even when I intentionally dropped in the car into several inches of snow, it drove right back out. Through turns, the traction control goes off quite a bit (usually just flashing without the beeping) and goes through without a problem. I've test the car out with and without traction control and with and without the snow ECT button. The best configuration I found was to have both of these functions set to OFF. I personally found when any sort of sliding or oversteer occurs, the traction control corrects it, only to put you in understeer in mid-corners. As for snow ECT, it didn't do anything but slow your throttle response down. I guess this is only useful in EXTREME snow conditions. I then took it into large parking lots to test it further and I found through bends, even with heavy sliding, slight counter-steering would bring it back straight, feeling very composed. If anything, I found the brakes to be lacking the snow. The ABS tends to be too sensitive for my tastes. I had it go off in snowy roads non-stop unless I pressed the brakes VERY slowly. Compared to many other cars I've driven, this car's highly recommended in the snow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my 300 is rear wheel and it was horrible thursday and even friday after it stopped I got stuck on this tiny hill which some guys had to push me to get me unstuck...yesterday was easy because there was no accum. Glad you had a decent ride with the recent weather though

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
my 300 is rear wheel and it was horrible thursday and even friday after it stopped I got stuck on this tiny hill which some guys had to push me to get me unstuck...yesterday was easy because there was no accum. Glad you had a decent ride with the recent weather though
That's because you're not on snow tires. Look into Blizzaks, I had no problem plowing thorough 8 inches of snow.

http://my.is/forums/f110/massholes-ready-winter-347952/

·
Registered
3 Posts
The northeast was just pummeled with three back to back snow storms this past week and a half and was the first time I got to try out the IS250 AWD (2007 model) in snow. So I just wanted to compare my results with other owners of IS (any model is fine from any year).

Overall with my vehicle, I haven't had any problems getting stuck. Even when I intentionally dropped in the car into several inches of snow, it drove right back out. Through turns, the traction control goes off quite a bit (usually just flashing without the beeping) and goes through without a problem. I've test the car out with and without traction control and with and without the snow ECT button. The best configuration I found was to have both of these functions set to OFF. I personally found when any sort of sliding or oversteer occurs, the traction control corrects it, only to put you in understeer in mid-corners. As for snow ECT, it didn't do anything but slow your throttle response down. I guess this is only useful in EXTREME snow conditions. I then took it into large parking lots to test it further and I found through bends, even with heavy sliding, slight counter-steering would bring it back straight, feeling very composed. If anything, I found the brakes to be lacking the snow. The ABS tends to be too sensitive for my tastes. I had it go off in snowy roads non-stop unless I pressed the brakes VERY slowly. Compared to many other cars I've driven, this car's highly recommended in the snow.

What kind of tires?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yeah, even with decent all season tires, my IS300 is one of the worst cars I've ever owned in the snow. It's tail-slide happy and just can't seem to find its footing. Fortunately I'm moving away to warmer climates so I don't have to waste money on a dedicated set of snow tires. I guess I've been spoiled since I've owned several AWD / 4WD vehicles in the past. I can't speak for the IS250 AWD obviously, but I can say that the IS300 is not confidence inspiring in poor weather conditions.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Yeah, even with decent all season tires, my IS300 is one of the worst cars I've ever owned in the snow. It's tail-slide happy and just can't seem to find its footing. Fortunately I'm moving away to warmer climates so I don't have to waste money on a dedicated set of snow tires. I guess I've been spoiled since I've owned several AWD / 4WD vehicles in the past. I can't speak for the IS250 AWD obviously, but I can say that the IS300 is not confidence inspiring in poor weather conditions.
How can you guys complain about the IS300 not being good in the snow when you aren't driving them with appropriate tires?

In my past years of driving this vehicle... I've only had trouble with the car once. That was this past weekend when we got dumped on with 10 inches of snow. When the snow just fell and it was very loosely packed... I had difficulty moving well. But even at that depth... once the snow firmed up a bit... I was able to drive properly.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
kuugi... the snow button isn't really an active controlling device like TRAC or VSC. What snow does is limit the amount of throttle you can apply at once to prevent you from spinning the wheels too easily. I used it recently when it was really slippery outside. Instead of being overly careful with the throttle... I left it in snow mode and the computers made sure I couldn't apply large spikes of torque. That really helped when pulling away from traffic lights.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How can you guys complain about the IS300 not being good in the snow when you aren't driving them with appropriate tires?

In my past years of driving this vehicle... I've only had trouble with the car once. That was this past weekend when we got dumped on with 10 inches of snow. When the snow just fell and it was very loosely packed... I had difficulty moving well. But even at that depth... once the snow firmed up a bit... I was able to drive properly.
Yes, with a good set of snow tires, the IS300 is a ton of fun in the snow.. With the stock summer tires, it's dangerous.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I just blame the driver.

Snow is a non-issue for me, whats the problem? Get snow tires and you're laughing, if you're driving on summer tires or even all-seasons, and complain, you are an idiot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's because you're not on snow tires. Look into Blizzaks, I had no problem plowing thorough 8 inches of snow.
Blizzaks are great in the snow, but are a little too sloppy - even for snow tires - in the dry... especially on the IS. For a little more dry weather competency, check out the Dunlop WinterSport 3D.
They don't have quite the bite of the Blizzaks (I had the MZ-01 for 3 seasons), but they haven't let me down yet. Plus, they are much more fun (and stable) in the dry/wet.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm running on stock all-seasons. I believe they're the Dunlop SP 5000's if I'm not mistaken.
Get a set of Dunlop M3 high performance winter tires, my son uses those on his All Trac and he had bliz before,...no complaints.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i couldnt get away with summer tires, so i changed it into dunlop sport 3d which was a huge difference!!! in the snow, the traction increased by 6 times. this was tested in a magazine.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Blizzaks are great in the snow, but are a little too sloppy - even for snow tires - in the dry... especially on the IS. For a little more dry weather competency, check out the Dunlop WinterSport 3D.
They don't have quite the bite of the Blizzaks (I had the MZ-01 for 3 seasons), but they haven't let me down yet. Plus, they are much more fun (and stable) in the dry/wet.

You know what you should try?... over inflate the tires. My Nokians are soft as well... but I bumped up the air pressure in them by a few psi and it made a world of difference in terms of dry weather handling.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had my is for the last four northeast winters including this one and I drive between nyc and metheun ma twice a month and my daily commute is between nyc and ct, snow has never been an issue

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
I'm running Michelin X-Ice tires on my IS for the winter, excellent snow grip in terms of braking, steering and just plain driving.....obviously the RWD makes the car kinda fail when accelerating from a stop in the snow but its otherwise great! I fly past the SUVs flying past every one haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts