Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, new to the board and have some questions. I have a 2001 Spa yellow S2000, and I am trying to sell because I want something more comfortable, but I want to keep the "fun to drive" factor. I have looked at the BMW's but they have the crappyist leather that you can find, and they drive funny to me, I have never owned a car that wasnt made by honda, so I might be biased. What is the ride quality like? I want a smooth ride, but I want great handeling. How does the E-Shift work, is it smooth, or does it stink and is it not useful? I plan on traveling in the car, and so I would also like info on cup holders, stereo quality, and just plain how lexus is to their customers. Any info would be appricated. Thanks, John

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by js:
hey, new to the board and have some questions. I have a 2001 Spa yellow S2000, and I am trying to sell because I want something more comfortable, but I want to keep the "fun to drive" factor. I have looked at the BMW's but they have the crappyist leather that you can find, and they drive funny to me, I have never owned a car that wasnt made by honda, so I might be biased. What is the ride quality like? I want a smooth ride, but I want great handeling. How does the E-Shift work, is it smooth, or does it stink and is it not useful? I plan on traveling in the car, and so I would also like info on cup holders, stereo quality, and just plain how lexus is to their customers. Any info would be appricated. Thanks, John
Have you test driven one? That's the best way to tell. Can't really take our word for it until you've been behind the wheel. Some answer to your questions though:

I'm not sure if you'll like the leather in the IS if you hate BMW leather. Although, I'm a fan of the escaine inserts

Ride quality is great, very comfortable considering it's handling and 17" rims. After all, it's still a Lexus. Some tire noise, but that doesn't ever bother me.

I use Eshift 99% of the time I'm in the car. It's nice not to take the hands off the wheel, although when making sharp turns, it's tough to find the buttons. Overall, I think it's a very capable system.

2 cup holders in front, 2 in back

Stereo quality is top notch, one of the best stock systems I've ever heard, all 240 watts of it. Hands and feet above the S2000's that's for sure, and the IS has a clock too, something I believe the honda lacks as well.

Lexus Ranks No. 1 in J.D. Power and Associates Customer Service Study for the 10th Time in 11 Years. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.toyota.com/html/about/news/archive/press_release/product/docs/2001/20010711_lexus.jsp

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my dealer doesnt have any IS300's that I can drive, or I would have already done it. He said he could order one in, but I would have to buy it before hand. Otherwise I will have to wait about a month for some new ones to come in. I think I will have to go to another dealer about an hour and a half away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would definately drive the 1.5 hours to take the test drive now instead of waiting a month. You will probably be glad you did....once again though...we are biased because this is an IS300 board and of course we think the car is fantastic!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Driving that hour and a half will be worth it. The IS is a great car. The other night my friend and I were racing on the windy roads just outside of DC and he was amazed at how well my car handle. That is a true compliment considering my friend drives an Audi S4. He said that the IS could out handle almost any car out there, except for Porsche and cars like that. But the IS is a lot cheap then those kind of cars. So take that drive to test drive the IS and I think you will like it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay, you get this from a former S2000 owner.
(Can't be more authoritative than that
) It was a Spa Yellow 2001, mind you. Before that I owned two other Honda's, a Gen5 Prelude and a Gen2 TL. I sold the racy little S2000 for more comfort and drivability in the city and congested traffic. You had several questions, which I'll address below:

1. Ride Quality. I find it very comfortable on the highways and acceptable in pothole and washboard infected city streets. With 17" wheels, the IS' suspension is similar in feel to the S2000; however, not in terms of cornering capability. It doesn't match up in performance to my Prelude with TEIN/Koni upgrade, either. But the IS is better than the Prelude in stock form. The handling is just perfect for me.

2. E-shift. I don't like the E-shift on the IS. First, I still haven't gotten used to their positions on the steering wheel (2 mo.) I miss the Prelude's sequential very much. I think the Prelude's felt a little better than TL's. The IS has a bit too much delay in the actual shifting.

3. Cup holders. I never had the chance to use the ones in the S2000. The ones on the IS are small. They can only hold 12-oz. cans and small bottles of water without having to tilt or remove the holding rings.

4. Stereo. S2000 stereo sucks, so it should be off any comparison matrix. I think the IS stereo is awsome, on par with the Bose in the TL.

5. Customer satisfaction and service. Are you kidding me??? Lexus is the hands (all five of them) down winner. #1 on J.D. Power and Associates survey for many consecutive years. (Again for 2001) Because of the customer service alone, I will not go back to buying Honda's and Nissan's. (Well, maybe I'd buy the new Z car when it comes out in 03)

So there you are, John. Sell the S2000 and get the IS. CarMax took mine for $31,400 with 800 gentle miles about 4 months ago. I paid MSRP ($32,xxx) for the S2000 originally.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: S20002IS300 ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts