Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a local stereo shop and this is what they quoted me to install 1 10" sub.

1. Rockford P1000.1BD $550
2. Rockford Power Series T1 10" sub T110D4 $300
3. Custom Box $175
4. Rockford 1 farad capacitor $125
5. Install free, Mind you that all the wiring from my old subs is already run. All they have to do is plug in the new wires and mount the amps.

Total. $1150
My goal is to have a 10" sub firing through the ski pass. Like vanndamage in this thread.

http://my.is/forums/f103/fix-ugly-ski-pass-void-340115/

I think its is too much, what is everyone's opinion???
Is rockford fosgate shit fake on ebay?

·
Registered
601 Posts
um ya, u need to spend ur money elsewhere...
ALOT of people have different opinions with rockford fosgate, well, with any sub, my personal opinion is that I hate them.

for $1200 for a box, amp, and ONE 10? psh..
ebay is ebay.. if it's new in box, seals arnt broken and what not, then its fine, but if its used, its probably blown.. Id check the local flea market for stuff, or even the local car meets, both will gladly hook them up so YOU can hear it.

another thing:
I like computers, and electronics.. an amp is an amp.. a capacitor is a capacitor.. u dont "really" need name brand sh*t for those, they do their job. I personally know this one store owner at the local flea market that made a huge amount of cash because he sold these inexpensive amps, and those amps hit harder than anyone could believe... go to the car shows nowadays, and everyone has them. subs is all about what you like, what youve heard in person, AND, the MOST IMPORTANT PART
is WHO and HOW someone tuned it. That can make all the difference. even if you dont buy from the shop, spot a $20 to the audio installer and he'll have whatever u got bangin'

·
Registered
365 Posts
Umm...personally I wouldn't buy subwoofers on ebay...unless it's an online store...you can get the sub and amp on an online store for about 600-650...you can definitely find someone to build the box for cheaper...or build it yourself...and as far as a capacitor...you may not even need one...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
So I went to a local stereo shop and this is what they quoted me to install 1 10" sub.

1. Rockford P1000.1BD $550
2. Rockford Power Series T1 10" sub T110D4 $300
3. Custom Box $175
4. Rockford 1 farad capacitor $125
5. Install free, Mind you that all the wiring from my old subs is already run. All they have to do is plug in the new wires and mount the amps.

Total. $1150
My goal is to have a 10" sub firing through the ski pass. Like vanndamage in this thread.

http://my.is/forums/f103/fix-ugly-ski-pass-void-340115/

I think its is too much, what is everyone's opinion???
Is rockford fosgate shit fake on ebay?
If you are emotionally attached/in love with that equipment I know tons of places online you can get that stuff for a TON cheaper. As jumpshot said...ditch the capacitor, you don't need it. Sonicelectronix.com is a great place I've ordered a bunch of stuff from. They've never let me down and they usually have the lowest prices. If you find a lower price they have a 105% price beat policy ;)

But, I think we can get you MUCH better equipment than that stuff for cheaper. I've never heard one of those newer T1 series subs but for a 10" sub recommendation I would suggest the Sound Splinter Rl-i 10". Great sound quality and output from a small woofer. They don't take a very large enclosure either so don't worry about it taking up all your trunk space. I would run about 500RMS on that sub all day long and it would love it. :cool:

If you need a box built let me know.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Pics of the Sound Splinter sub....sexy.....and this is only the 8" version :jawDrop:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I second SonicElectronix.com I bought my JL setup from there...and saved TONS of money...there having an amazing discount sale on MA audio stuff too...and in my opinion...those are great subs...haven't had much experience with their amps, but I bet they're pretty great too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
dude... those are some good prices for the Rockford stuff...

you picked one crazy Rockford Fosgate amp and the second best subwoofer rockford makes...
I also noticed that the shop didn't charge for install... it's usually around 40 dollars for the amp kit (you are going to need 4 gauge for 1000 watts) and some shops charge around 50-100 dollars for install.

I would say the pricing is pretty good... if you dont like Rockford like I do then get a different brand.
Other amps claim 1000 watts but when Rockford claims 1000 watts... it's a guaranty 1000 watts RMS or more... other products like Power Acoustik, American Audio, Audiobahn, Soundstorm, ect... will claim 1000 watts but it's really 500 watts rms or like 300 watts rms...

I actually bought some stuff off of ebay.. It's legit. I bought a rockford amp, rockford sub, kicker CVX sub... you should try one of those CVX's, they really do haul ass (better then L5 and L7's) you can get really good prices... I would recommend a Hifonics amp and a Kicker CVX subwoofer (I am a hardcord rockford fan and I would definitely pick a CVX over a Rockford T1... but not over a Rockford T2...)

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
dude... those are some good prices for the Rockford stuff...
Those prices he was quoted are downright absurd. At SonicElectronix even if he bought the same equipment he posted he can save $250 just on the sub and amp! I didn't even look around on the net for the best deal, I just picked my favorite online store and it was cheaper.

·
Registered
432 Posts
was that with shipping, wiring, and installation?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
was that with shipping, wiring, and installation?
Actually no, by bad...Lexifer said that his wires are already run and the amp just needs to be connected so there is no wizardry involved in the installation. I checked the shipping charges and they are a whopping $40 with the sub and amp shipped together.

So I guess he will only be saving $210....yep, totally not worth his time

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks for all the input guys. Yea all my wiring is in all 4 gauge. So they don't need to use an install kit. No RCA cable, No speaker wire. Just a few screws to mount shit.

Best buy wants $599.99 for the P1000-1BD Rockford amp. haha

My girlfriend has a friend that works at Best Buy, I'm thinking about having her buy it with her employee discount. Does anyone know how the Best Buy employee discount works??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yea...they get the products at factory price and then 15% off of that...

My bro used to work at Best Buy...An $80 wiring kit was only like $4...they mark wiring up SOOOOOO much

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ask the shop how much to do install alone and see if it's worth buying the stuff online. I would trust Italyn's word.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I think the real question is...are you physically able to hook the amp up and mount it yourself? I could tell you how to connect the wires to the amp, it's very hard to screw up. If you have basic tools like a drill you could mount the amp no problem. If you order the stuff online I don't see why you would even need the shop to install anything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the real question is...are you physically able to hook the amp up and mount it yourself? I could tell you how to connect the wires to the amp, it's very hard to screw up. If you have basic tools like a drill you could mount the amp no problem. If you order the stuff online I don't see why you would even need the shop to install anything.
I second this. I've been installing systems into my friends cars for about a year now. They've probably saved at least $400 each for buying the products off ebay and having it not installed at a local shop.
They just drop by for a day, and I show them exactly how all the wiring and stuff is done. This way they get some know-how and save money.

The wiring is very simple. The hardest part is just running in through to the trunk and you've already got that covered. We could show you how to do that.

Also, I've never personally ordered from Sonicelectronix but I was reading reviews and it seems hit or miss. Meaning half the customers are completely satisfied and the other half are having nightmares with customer service.
I'd recommend WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Super Store, The largest selection at the lowest prices!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know how to hook up all the wires I just want someone to mount the sub and the amps clean. Its such a pain to find the right spot for amps in our trunk so I thought I would let them deal with it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know how to hook up all the wires I just want someone to mount the sub and the amps clean. Its such a pain to find the right spot for amps in our trunk so I thought I would let them deal with it.
Hate to say it...but the installers aren't gonna care where they mount it, it's not their car...they only care about the money they'll be sapping from you...I would recommend mounting it yourself according to your wants...not letting someone else do a job they don't care about.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I'm usually the big skeptic here when it comes to mainstream gear... but those Fosgate T1 woofers kick ass. If you have a powerful front stage that can go really low (so you don't have to feed the fosgate anything above about 60Hz...), those woofers are AMAZING in the SQ and SPL departments. Tons and tons of output, and they get lower than stink.

And the new power series amps... great. They're CEA-2006 compliant (so their ratings are honest), ultra-efficient, and they sound great. I like them better than Alpine's PDX amps.

Would I run a T1 in my car??? Hell yes... $1150 for a well done install, parts included??? Sounds good to me... I'd love to see pics of the work the shop has done though, do they have a website with a portfolio???

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm usually the big skeptic here when it comes to mainstream gear... but those Fosgate T1 woofers kick ass. If you have a powerful front stage that can go really low (so you don't have to feed the fosgate anything above about 60Hz...), those woofers are AMAZING in the SQ and SPL departments. Tons and tons of output, and they get lower than stink.

And the new power series amps... great. They're CEA-2006 compliant (so their ratings are honest), ultra-efficient, and they sound great. I like them better than Alpine's PDX amps.

Would I run a T1 in my car??? Hell yes... $1150 for a well done install, parts included??? Sounds good to me... I'd love to see pics of the work the shop has done though, do they have a website with a portfolio???
I second. :rolleyes: oh new smilies :jawDrop: EDIT: the new smilies dont work yet I guess

and it's not the easiest thing to set up an amp and speakers... different speakers need a certain amount of air in the box... not just any box will do for the best sound..

also amps have crossovers, subsonics, and other controls that can confuse some people

you can really hurt your subs if you have your subsonic too low or your low pass too high. Let a pro do it unless you plan on doing a bit of studying

1 - 20 of 33 Posts