Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 2007 is350.. and was sooooooo happy with it..s ince it had everything in it.. white exterior.. black interior.. luxury package.. navigation.. and was just playing around with it.. and found out it DIDNT play dvds.. making me realize i DIDNT get the mark levinson package with the navigation like i thought i did..

so i am just curious.. is the mark levinson really worth it? is it that better than the regular audio? i mean obviously it'll sound a lot better when comparing the 2.. but is it worth the money for the sound?

i guess i just gotta deal with not playing any dvds or music videos in the car.. unless there is a cheaper way like hooking up an xbox with the lexus? ive heard something about it.. if somebody knows let me know..

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
There are some aftermarket solutions for getting video onto your nav screen, they all require extra hardware mounted someplace and for you to do some wiring behind the dash/console/etc.

Personally having ML in my car (without Nav BTW) and having driven a loaner with the stock stereo, it's a drastic difference in sound quality.

If you're not big into audio, and the stock system sounds fine to you, then groovy... but to me it was -well- worth the $940 to add the ML system to my car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
from what my sales guy told me, and good close personal friend, the ML sound system is only for trained ears. hardly noticable by most. and with all the other sound variants: road noise, car noise, bad music source: cd/radio, etc, it would hardly be worth while doing it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The ML system in my 350 sounds so much cleaner than any other sound system my friends have. Sure it might not hit as hard as a 15 inch subwoofer, but it is 7.1 dolby surround and you can hear all channels so clearly. It might not be worth it for some, but damn, i already paid over $40k for a brand new car so i got it fully loaded.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Well, as I said earlier, if you're talking -just- the stereo, it's only $940, and it'll sound a lot better than anything $940 will get you in the aftermarket as far as upgrading the system yourself.

I definitely don't have professionally trained ears BTW and the difference between the stock system and the ML system was pretty obvious to me after I'd heard both.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally like to listen to DVDs while driving and I think you can tell the difference because of the surround sound but if you don't listen to dvds then its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I listened to both systems prior to buying my IS 35--with the M.L. system. You dont need a trained ear to hear the difference,its like fire and ice. Now on the otherhand if you are deaf or dumb save the money and get a toyota factory radio in your luxury lexus. Thats kinda like shopping for a Rolex but buying a Rolax watch from some old lady in chinatown !!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mark Levinson stereo definitely has a different sound. The difference between the stock pioneer audio system and the Mark Levinson is almost night and day. Yes the facory system sounds nice and is much better than most factory systems out their. The Mark Levinson option takes it further. Music is much more detailed and has better depth. Not to mention imaging is very good also. I believe you will be happy with your stock stereo. But if you just don't really want to upgrade and want a factory installed stereo that sounds great then the Mark Levison is your best bet.

I've had many different systems in all of my previous vehicles from MB Quart, JL Audio, Focal, and Rainbow. The Mark Levinson in my car sounds very good and am pleased with it. I would love to install a really nice Focal setup but do not see the point anymore in spending many thousands to improve the sound when the my stock Mark Levinson sounds very good as is. I will however need to improve slightly on the lower end. I have noticed that the lower octave response from about 40hz and down is not what I would like for it to be.

·
Registered
730 Posts
from what my sales guy told me, and good close personal friend, the ML sound system is only for trained ears. hardly noticable by most. and with all the other sound variants: road noise, car noise, bad music source: cd/radio, etc, it would hardly be worth while doing it.
I'm happy with my ML package.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I don't care how much it is... even if the Levinson system is $2000 (it's probably twice that...) it's a ripoff.

Set me a budget and I'll show you what can be done... it'll sound better than anything that comes from the factory.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The ML sysytem is $940.

Please show me an aftermarket system that sounds better. Don't forget labor, wiring, etc.

Be sure to buy from authorized dealers or you don't get the warranty (which an ML system would have of course).

Good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
The ML sysytem is $940.

Please show me an aftermarket system that sounds better. Don't forget labor, wiring, etc.

Be sure to buy from authorized dealers or you don't get the warranty (which an ML system would have of course).

Good luck with that.

The only way I can find to obtain the ML system in an IS is to get the $3925 "Navigation System w/Premium Audio Package". Where you got your $940 figure I'd LOVE to see.

For $940... I could install a system myself that would blow that ML crap away (the mark levison system has nothing to do with mark levinson technology BTW... it's a bunch of japanese paper cones with his name written on them). Basically, I go the DIY route and use Dayton RS speakers and subwoofers (they cost about $35 a driver at partsexpress.com).

But for $3925.... holy shit. The stereo that is in my car now, Dynaudio front stage, DD subwoofer, DD amps, Pioneer Premier P9 combo headunit/processor... it all ran about $2400, and i paid about $2000 for install, and this is a COMPETITION system way beyond what any normal person would need.

For an IS, I've talked to Bing, the owner of Simplicity In Sound and he has informed me that he could install a system consisting of a DLS UR6 front stage, eD ov2 subwoofers (two 10s), eD amplifiers, and just about any headunit you could want (including video), and still keep the tab (with install) below $4000.

No factory system will ever sound as good as a properly worked out aftermarket system. I've heard the $7700 B&O system in new Audis, the Bose "studio on wheels" in new Infinitis... they all suck.

Now... if you show me where the ML system is listed for $940, I'll stand partially corrected, but I really don't think you can do that.

EDIT: the ML system is NOT $940. No way, no how. Even the $5000+ luxury package options don't include the ML system. The packages that do are $8000+ option packages.... HAHAHA!!! That system is a JOKE. If you buy it... you are a RETARD.

EDIT2: just called a Lexus dealer to confirm. The Levinson audio system cannot be installed without the navigation system (apparently it's DSP brain is built in to the navigation unit).... so it cannot be had for "just $940". It's $3900 plus labor.

Hey Knightwhateverthefuck.... stop blowing smoke up people's asses.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mark Levinson stereo definitely has a different sound. The difference between the stock pioneer audio system and the Mark Levinson is almost night and day. Yes the facory system sounds nice and is much better than most factory systems out their. The Mark Levinson option takes it further. Music is much more detailed and has better depth. Not to mention imaging is very good also. I believe you will be happy with your stock stereo. But if you just don't really want to upgrade and want a factory installed stereo that sounds great then the Mark Levison is your best bet.

I've had many different systems in all of my previous vehicles from MB Quart, JL Audio, Focal, and Rainbow. The Mark Levinson in my car sounds very good and am pleased with it. I would love to install a really nice Focal setup but do not see the point anymore in spending many thousands to improve the sound when the my stock Mark Levinson sounds very good as is. I will however need to improve slightly on the lower end. I have noticed that the lower octave response from about 40hz and down is not what I would like for it to be.
Better then I could have put it. +rep

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The only way I can find to obtain the ML system in an IS is to get the $3925 "Navigation System w/Premium Audio Package". Where you got your $940 figure I'd LOVE to see.

For $940... I could install a system myself that would blow that ML crap away (the mark levison system has nothing to do with mark levinson technology BTW... it's a bunch of japanese paper cones with his name written on them). Basically, I go the DIY route and use Dayton RS speakers and subwoofers (they cost about $35 a driver at partsexpress.com).

But for $3925.... holy shit. The stereo that is in my car now, Dynaudio front stage, DD subwoofer, DD amps, Pioneer Premier P9 combo headunit/processor... it all ran about $2400, and i paid about $2000 for install, and this is a COMPETITION system way beyond what any normal person would need.

For an IS, I've talked to Bing, the owner of Simplicity In Sound and he has informed me that he could install a system consisting of a DLS UR6 front stage, eD ov2 subwoofers (two 10s), eD amplifiers, and just about any headunit you could want (including video), and still keep the tab (with install) below $4000.

No factory system will ever sound as good as a properly worked out aftermarket system. I've heard the $7700 B&O system in new Audis, the Bose "studio on wheels" in new Infinitis... they all suck.

Now... if you show me where the ML system is listed for $940, I'll stand partially corrected, but I really don't think you can do that.

EDIT: the ML system is NOT $940. No way, no how. Even the $5000+ luxury package options don't include the ML system. The packages that do are $8000+ option packages.... HAHAHA!!! That system is a JOKE. If you buy it... you are a RETARD.

EDIT2: just called a Lexus dealer to confirm. The Levinson audio system cannot be installed without the navigation system (apparently it's DSP brain is built in to the navigation unit).... so it cannot be had for "just $940". It's $3900 plus labor.

Hey Knightwhateverthefuck.... stop blowing smoke up people's asses.

What a shock- your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

There's at least two people -on this very board- that have ML without Nav.

I'm one of em.

It was a $940 option when I ordered my car that way.

Oh, and ML and Nav have nothing to do with the other packages on the car... Lux, Sports, Premium, etc are all option packages involving other things (seats, suspension, etc). ML is a standalone option for $940. Nav is a standalone option for about $2200 (invoice) and ML plus Nav is a standalone combined option for about $3700 (invoice). I'm also unclear why in the world you think there's be "labor" charges on factory options.

You can sound less like an idiot anytime now.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Oh, and not to point out even more of your massive ignorance, but the ML system includes -metal- cone midrange and tweets.

Seriously, it'd help if you had the slightest idea what you're discussing.

Have fun with your $35 speakers though I suppose.

And just to avoid some more incorrect ranting from you about how you can't get ML without nav- here's a link to a picture of it in my IS350-

http://users.deltacomm.com/kurtz/IMG_4405.jpg

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Who said anything about the cone material?? I certainly didn't. Watch out who you say these things to, you just might be talking to somebody who does know what they're talking about.

I said that if you could show where Lexus has the ML system listed as a $940 stand alone option, I'd stand corrected. You haven't done so.

And your precious Levinson speakers??? They're probably no more than about $10.00 a driver to tell the truth. I'd be willing to bet they're box standard models from the likes of Vifa or Peerless (which is all the same company anyway). That's what most "premium" audio systems are nowadays.

And, to point out YOUR massive ignorance. The Levinson system consists of metal DOME tweeters and midranges. Do some searches around the ICIX forums and you'll see pictures of it de-constructed.

And BTW, I've now talked to Lexus, the Levinson system is NOT available without Navigation. At least not the full blown Levinson system. The $940 option that you paid for upgrades a few drivers here and there, does nothing about proper amplification, and doesn't give you the DSP brain that comes with the real Levinson system.

So basically, you pay $940 for about $300 worth of drivers and a sticker... tops. Oh yeah, and some crappy little OEM amplifiers that don't even conform to proper CEA testing procedures.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Holy crap you're stupid.

And BTW, I've now talked to Lexus, the Levinson system is NOT available without Navigation
Now you're telling me what I have in my own car.

Here ya go-

http://users.deltacomm.com/kurtz/lexml1.jpg

$940 for the full ML system. Just as it is in my car.

Lexus has changed their web page since then, because they want to encourage folks to buy the more expensive nav bundle. Same as they won't show certain packages in certain zipcodes on their website because they want you buying what the local places get in stock. They want to discourage making you aware of what you can get with a special order but Lexus notoriously hates special orders.

I'd show you a copy of my window sticker if I had one of those handy too.

Oh, and here's ML themselves telling you you're an idiot-

Lexus IS Audio System

"metal cone"

not dome. Cone.

Who said anything about the cone material?? I certainly didn't.
Who said anything about the cone? You. lemme jog your horrible memory-

it's a bunch of japanese paper cones with his name written on them
So you managed to be wrong -twice- about the same thing. Impressive.

Watch out who you say these things to, you just might be talking to somebody who does know what they're talking about.
I might be, but I'm clearly not in this case.

Seriously, try posting about something you aren't -totally- wrong about, please.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Ok fine... cheap Japanese metal cones (which is even worse because cheap metal cones are ringy, bright, and generally shitty... hey... just like the ML systems I've heard).

This all does nothing for your argument anyway... the bottom line is, you paid almost a grand for a bunch of crap and a sticker. And it hilarious to me. And the fact that Lexus has you fooled in to thinking that you got something more than just a pile of shitty speakers for your money is even more hilarious to me.

And I'm the stupid one. :lol: :lol:

The the cone/dome argument is stupid... the tweeters are dome tweeters, you can see that clearly just by looking at them... the midranges are domers too, the midbasses and the subwoofer are cones. Just look at you own speakers genius.

And another point here, as somebody that regularly records and mixes the music you're listening to... I can tell you it's not designed for that simulated surround sound BS. Music is not meant to be played in surround... so you're paying extra to cheat yourself there too. And since you can't play movies in your car, it's even more pointless.

Don't argue with sound engineers about sound.

I love when people are made to realize that they got ripped off and get all defensive. I think this guy has called me about six names so far... :lol: :lol:

Keep going... I love watching you try....

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
So after I posted evidence that every single "fact" in your posts was wrong your response is...

Um, well, I'm a sound engineer! I must be right even if you've proven me totally ignorant in everything I've said!

Must be a pretty crappy one if you're wrong about everything at work like you have been in this thread.

You're wrong about the price, the availablity, the materials, what you get in the package, the fact the amps and speakers are different from standard, how the entire car is optioned...

You were even wrong about your OWN post content that I had to point out to you.

Lemme know next time you want to discuss in depth a system you know nothing about, I'm always up for a good laugh :)

I'd point you to a couple of threads over at club lexus where -real- sound engineers evaluate the ML system in the IS, reaching pretty much the exact opposite opinion as you in every regard... but it's pretty clear facts and truth are very confusing to you, and you're plenty confused already.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Try, try, try... but Lexus raped you. And I guess you like it.

You have a improperly built system with horrible speaker locations that have no regard for pathlength differences or phase discrepancy, it's underpowered considering the efficiency of the drivers, and it's all part of a luxury marque dildo that costs over $40K to jam in your ass.

I could honestly do better with $400 worth of gear.

But keep patting your ML sticker on the back. I know it'll make you feel better.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts