Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to change out my stock computer when I go over 400 HP?
If so how much do they cost? What website is a good place to search for them?

Also what is a good turbo for 400+ HP????

Yea, I am building a monster, might as well right?!?!?!?!? :cool:

· Banned
10,733 Posts
i wouldnt consider 400WHP a monster. but anyways, from your post, you have a lot to learn my friend.

i suggest reading over every thread in go faster for starters. then ask questions.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
you can keep your stock computer but you do need to add a flux capacitor

· Registered
171 Posts
hhahhahah im gonna be pushing a little over 500 and still dont consider it being a monster lol mikefate's car on the other hand, now thats a monster. Dude save yourself the trouble, sell your car, buy mikefates and call it a day. You will be pleased with this route haha

· Registered
1,732 Posts
i wouldnt consider 400WHP a monster. but anyways, from your post, you have a lot to learn my friend.

i suggest reading over every thread in go faster for starters. then ask questions.
couldnt have said it better mike. he has lots and lots to read. i would say give him a good month then he will have an idea where to start. lol. btw. good luck on the sale bro. sorry to see it go, whats next???

Reactions: mikefate

· Registered
1,230 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
figured I would get replies like that, maybe monster was not appropriate, no one can just answer a question on here can they? go read this go do that, or mine is better than yours, and so on, I don't have a shit load of money to dump in a car, just wanting some simple help so I do not screw anything up or get ripped off is all, I dont know why I bother asking anything on here...

· Premium Member
21,109 Posts
figured I don't have a shit load of money to dump in a car.
dont take this as being an ass reply because its not, but if you dont have a lot of money to dump in a car then you DO NOT need to boost an IS. you are looking at $10,000+ to boost these cars to those numbers and to do it reliably.

· Premium Member
23,159 Posts
If you have the supposed "shitload" Drop your car off at SRT or PFS and swipe your credit card for $16,000. Then you dont have to worry about it. They'll make it daily driver reliable for you. Which is something you need if you have to ask such a question. I'm sorry I dont want to sound rude but people who really ar capable of building and maintaining a boosted IS would have done all the reading and searching they could before asking any questons. Along the way with that reading one would have found out about the ignitions shortcomings, then that people piggyback the GReddy EMU at lower levels, then piggyback something like a haltech fx10 or AEM EMS and even higher they toss the factory ECU all together...Just saying.

· Banned
10,733 Posts
Do I have to change out my stock computer when I go over 400 HP?
If so how much do they cost? What website is a good place to search for them?

Also what is a good turbo for 400+ HP????

Yea, I am building a monster, might as well right?!?!?!?!? :cool:
you will need to use a piggy back or a full EMS system. id suggest a full standalone system such as the haltech.

id say you will spend about $800-$1500 depending if you wire it or buy a harness, etc.

call a few tuners like SRT, PFS for starters. they can get you an EMS and probably a prewired harness with base maps.

try looking into a gt35r turbo. probably best bang for your buck around 400WHP.

there. there are a few answers. now start reading. people only jumped on you becuase people always come on and ask the same old shit every day without doing any research first. all your questions could have been answered with a simple search and about an hour of reading and absorbing.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tom & Mike, the car was turboed when I bought it, no internal work done though, it is at a shop now disassembled, I asked them what needs to be done to break 500 HP and they said:
Your next limiting factor is your factory ecu. If you want big power then you need to get rid of it and get an aem ems. Your stock computer is good for about 400 hp to the ground. It will start giving problems at 300 and become a pain at 350 and unmanageable at 400. The next step is the aem ems which is $2500 with parts and installation.

Sweet car by the way Mike

· Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Wow aren't you guys a lot of help... you should be good till 600 on a piggy back, but are going to run into problems every where else...
600hp on a piggy back? Lately some people on this site seem to be hitting the crack pipe a bit too much.

· Premium Member
12,222 Posts
Wow aren't you guys a lot of help... you should be good till 600 on a piggy back, but are going to run into problems every where else...
Answers like yours are exactly why we tell people to read.

· Registered
5,780 Posts
If you're on a budget and aren't planning to hit big numbers (< 400 rwhp) a piggyback can be used. Some people have made over 400 rwhp on a piggyback but the key thing with it is working with the stock ECU, monitoring the fuel trims, and retard timing. The aggressive stock timing is the culprit that's going to bite you in the @$$. You will have the stock knock retard system but it's not 100% fool proof. In the end you won't be running a timing map that's optimal for your setup.

Personally, I would just ante up and get a full standalone. Have a properly tuned timing and fuel map. Have all the fuel compensation maps in place to make the car's drivability as smooth as possible. The GT35R is a good turbo, fast spooling and is capable of 500+ rwhp but it comes at a price ~$1200. If you don't mind something that is about 300-500 RPM slowler in spooling a T61 isn't a bad choice. It's about $800 and is capable of flowing 500+ rwhp as well. That extra $400 could be used in a proper engine management system.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.