Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I always wanted to buy a used M3 e46, but I always got response that it is too expensive when it comes to maintainence, parts and also many problem arises from the car.

On the other hand, from Lexus, well is300 for example, I have spent even too many time here in is300.net like more than 3 hours every single day viewing all the post and I hardly heard stuff like oh, my car have this or that.

Any bmw m3 owners here that have comments on that?
How bad is the real situation is?
Thanks appreciated,

Viz

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
maintenance is heavy on the e36, only worse on the e46, especially if you have SMG. i can spend 1-2k easily on maintenance a year if not more.

·
8,107 Posts
Not really an issue til you're out of warranty, but once you are, yes they are quite high maintenance compared to Lexus or Acura. If you have a good BMW shop within an hour's drive, I think it's worth it. If you don't, or have to take it to a dealer for service, I say no way.
The E46 M3 has the additional concern of the motor blowing out of warranty. There's a rumor that BMW is changing the motor (cams, crankshaft etc) in Nov./Dec. production of this year, if that's true - I wouldn't want a 2001 or 2002 motor.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Damn that much just in mantainence :eek: . Wow, thats ridiculous. When are they definetly gonna put the new engine in there? :-?

·
8,107 Posts
Dude, please tell me you don't really have a 325i 'chip' in a 323? :roll:
BMW parts are cheap actually, you just need lots of labor to fix them all, that's the problem! =)

Heartbreaker said:
I'd rather have an M3 than an IS300. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
ckolsen said:
Dude, please tell me you don't really have a 325i 'chip' in a 323? :roll:
BMW parts are cheap actually, you just need lots of labor to fix them all, that's the problem! =)

Heartbreaker said:
I'd rather have an M3 than an IS300. :crazy:
such is always said chris, but sometimes I simply don't agree.

new tires(Kumho MX or bridgestone s03) will run you 600 every two years based upon me driving my car 7500 miles a year

new rear shock mounts = 100 bucks

new shocks = 600 bucks

new cooling system = 250(preventive maintenance)

rear trailing arm bushings = 250(they get sloppy after time)

keeping paint showroom quality = unbelievable $$$$

new plugs = 60 bucks

new tranny(second gear synchro kind of worn) = ~1000

new clutch + flywheel = 1500(RE LTW flywheel setup)

perhaps i am just hitting a very expensive point of ownership for the car, as I am starting to have a lot of things start to go bad/broken, but parts add up very quickly, and all these prices do not include labor.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Despite all the things that people say about M3 ownership, driving one is still pretty cool. Here is my friends SMG equipped drop top. I likes. :p

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My dad's E36 has had the lower ground effect kit come loose and tear off 3 times in the last 3 years. That alone has cost him about $1,000 a pop each time it's happened.

Nothing is cheap for the car and it's been pretty harsh to maintain although most critical components have held together well.

70,000 miles and still on stock pads / rotors, clutch, suspension (feels awesome still), etc...

I would still expect to spend about 15% the value of the car in maintainence over the life of ownership (depending on how long you keep it past warranty of course this could be more or less).

I would NOT buy a 2001 M3... I *might* buy a 2002 as I think the bearing problem was fixed for most of those.

Also, BMW is CONSISTENTLY the TOP in safety and there is no value you can put on that.

·
8,107 Posts
hey mrclam,
I just meant I don't think BMW parts cost any more than Acura/Lexus. Where do you buy your parts?
How many miles on the M3 now? That's pretty brutal, all that stuff that's gone wrong, though it's typical 100k mile stuff. Mine is similar, except I still have original clutch/tranny. I'm not gonna fix anything on my car unless it becomes undriveable - gonna trade it after the snow goes away probably (April).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Modless_IS_=( said:
My dad's E36 has had the lower ground effect kit come loose and tear off 3 times in the last 3 years. That alone has cost him about $1,000 a pop each time it's happened.
your pops is paying too much. who is he paying to install that shit? michael jordan?

next time it happens
www.jt-designs.com and he will worry no more

Nothing is cheap for the car and it's been pretty harsh to maintain although most critical components have held together well.
i agree
70,000 miles and still on stock pads / rotors, clutch, suspension (feels awesome still), etc...
by 40k miles the stock suspension is most definitely shot. replace it and the car will drive MUCH better. i am amazed you still have stock pads/rotors. i had to replace mine at 40k but i am a madman.

and for the guy who knows a guy with an e46 conv, those are almost as slow as the e36 m3s in comparison. tell him to get a focking coupe for heaven's sake.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
ckolsen said:
hey mrclam,
I just meant I don't think BMW parts cost any more than Acura/Lexus. Where do you buy your parts?
How many miles on the M3 now? That's pretty brutal, all that stuff that's gone wrong, though it's typical 100k mile stuff. Mine is similar, except I still have original clutch/tranny. I'm not gonna fix anything on my car unless it becomes undriveable - gonna trade it after the snow goes away probably (April).
i buy my parts from any number of places, pacific bmw, nick alexander, bimmerparts.com, ground control(future place to get suspension stuff from)

m3 has 52k miles on it. acura/lexus parts last MUCH longer than bmw parts. i don't plan on selling the car anytime soon and i am VERY METICULOUS about its maintenance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
SeattleSheila
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing