831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
clean engine bay with water??

if no, what do u guys do to clean it?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
compressor and air, then a damp cloth, no shine materials as they just become a glue for dirt.

David

·
Registered
608 Posts
man..... just hit it with a garden hose. it aint gonna do anything to it but clean off any loose dirty and leaves. i do it all the time when i change the oil. it does not have a distributor and the coil packs will work fine when wet. just dont hit the air filter if u have an open filter setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
phamous101 said:
man..... just hit it with a garden hose. it aint gonna do anything to it but clean off any loose dirty and leaves. i do it all the time when i change the oil. it does have a distributor and the coil packs will work fine when wet.
While generally water won't do too much harm to an engine in small amounts, it is a good idea to shield the alternator and ignition components with aluminum foil before spraying down the engine. I use Simple Green on a cold motor (or a quality aerosol engine degreaser in extremes on a warm powerplant) and let it soak for a minute before rinsing.

As far as detailing I wash the painted areas and engine cover by hand using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash detergent and dry with an old towel. Waxing these areas twice a year doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I haven't gotten to washing my engine yet besides wiping it down but I will this Spring. Check out my engine bay on my website for my Accord. Not high quality pics but u have some idea. People never believed that engine had 140k miles on it. I only washed it twice a year.

·
Registered
643 Posts
a theory. go and wash it with water then wait for awhile. finish with wd-40 to get rid of the water.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
IT is perfectly safe ...... the dealership cleans ur engine bay with a medium powerd hose to clean ur engine bay when u take ur car in for service

i actually watched them do my 1000 mile service and thats wat they did to all there cars :chill:

·
Registered
31 Posts
lexRacer said:
IT is perfectly safe ...... the dealership cleans ur engine bay with a medium powerd hose to clean ur engine bay when u take ur car in for service
This is only partially true, dealerships and many professionals use a 3-step system to clean/detail the engine bay. First the engine is sprayed with engine degreaser followed by a pressure washing (which dispenses only a small amount of water compared to the garden hose), finally the engine is finished with steam cleaning which loosens up any residual chemical/dirt which ultimately evaporates.

Water won't damage belts but will cause belt dressing to be less effective which can cause squeaking. Age and weather extremes are more damaging to the rubber under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.