Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it at all possible program the stock ECU or any aftermarket ECU to prevent me from driving too fast? Something that will act as a govener on the car once it hits a certain speed?

Thanks for any help at all.

·
13,978 Posts
irv_usc said:
just curious, but why would you want to do this?
1. too many speeding tickets.
2. doesn't want his wife or kid to drive too fast.
3. he is driving daddy's car like half of the people here and is trying to race in daddy's car when he shouldn't be

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Even though I don't understand why you'd want to do it, Lexus of Greenwich offers something like this. It's basically a package that allows you to monitor everything. Speed, RPMs, location with GPS, and i'm almost positive it can control the speed limit. I know it's pricey...but it's something that'll work.

·
Registered
612 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
Even though I don't understand why you'd want to do it, Lexus of Greenwich offers something like this. It's basically a package that allows you to monitor everything. Speed, RPMs, location with GPS, and i'm almost positive it can control the speed limit. I know it's pricey...but it's something that'll work.
I don't think it CONTROLS the max speed, but rather can warn you if you exceed a set speed. In order to control the speed, it would have to get into the car's electronics and I don't think anyone has done that yet... if so, then it means that they can also eliminate or raise the factory set speed limiter... and I know NO ONE has done that yet.

If you are SURE that it can, then let me know and I'll call them to remove my speed limiter :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over the weekend I was doing 95-100 on the freeway. There was another car that was a few lanes over and trying to catch me. A cop got me and when they pulled me over they gave me the entire DUI (sobriety) tests. After 15 minutes they said they caught me doing 135, at which I told them wasn't possible. I was so I was too freaked out by the DUI thin that I didn't think of the other car that was behind me, and I didn't ask to see the radar gun. My car's radar detector never went off, so I'm not sure they even him me but rather the other guy but pulled me over my mistake. So I have to hire a lawyer to fight this... I want to see if I can get some sort of testing done to prove that my car can't go 135 mph, so I wanted to see if any of the ECU's would limit the speed of the car or at least tweak the engine management software enough to lower the top speed low enough that I can say my car is not capiable of doing 135.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
everyone in the world knows a Lexus IS300 can go 135...if your's can't...that means there's something wrong with it. what you can do is put the smallest wheel/tire combo on your car that would fit...the speedo would read slower than what u you're really going.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There are plenty of ways to prove that you could not have been going 135mph without touching the ECU. Besides, even if you can change your ECU, there are ways to datalog and prove that this change was done AFTER your speeding ticket!

But you can prove that you were not going 135mph by several ways:

For example, how long was the stretch of road when you got the ticket? You did not have enough time to accelerate to that speed and you could not have been going that fast? There are calculations that show how long your car takes to reach 135 mph and time to distance tests will show that you needed X amount of road to get to that speed, and if the road was shorter than that distance, then there is no way you could've been going that fast.

Talk to your attorney about that and he/she will be able to explain more.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the freeway was long enough. I was donig 120 then slowed down because I knew I was going way too fast. So I had time to get up to that speed. I was thinking of trying to do some sort of real world test where I put on some larger heavier rims, maybe get a VERY dirty air filter and put in regular gas to try to lower the power of my car. Other than that I was thinking of getting a DYNO for my car. Then say the max speed for the IS is 142 and that's with a stick shift which puts out (and grab a couple of dyno's from here that are high for a stick) and then back track their HP and speed to determine what my engine should max out as. Either way I'm grasping at straws.

The time and distance thing is worth a shot though, I'll have to look into where I can find those forumlas and then get something that will show how long it takes my car to get going that fast.

Oh and I know my car can go that fast, I've taken it up to that speed twice (though it she wasn't accelerating much more if at all at 135). However for proving that I wasn't going that fast I was trying to take the approach that maybe my car can't do it, it's got 50k miles heavier tires and wider than it once had, maybe bad gas (like the gas station had 87 in the 91 pump by accident), or anything else. The problem is that even though I know I wasn't going that fast I have to prove that I was and the cop just has to say "Yes he was" and he is done and the court will believe his word over mine.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is the only way to go in court... you cannot rely on the 'poor' performance of your car because that is only particular to your car and is not enough evidence to prove that there is no way for you to go that fast. Remember, the burden of proof is on you not the police... they are assumed to be right! Sucks, huh!

But you said you were going 120... how long would it have taken you to get to 135? It is not a proportional thing... it may have taken you 20 seconds to hit 120, but it may take another 15 seconds to hit 135 and in which case you would have traveled approximately another 1/2 mile just for that last 15 mph.

I'm not an expert, but I'm sure that there are several methods to prove that you could not have gone that fast. Unless, you could've gone that fast given the time and distance... in which case, good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I know I hit 120 earlier on the freeway but slowed down because I was getting close to the exit I wanted to take and I knew I was going too fast. When I went over the hill on the freeway I saw the CHP and he sat there for for 5-8 seconds before turning on his running lights and headlights to come get me. When he did that I am fairly certain that I was in the upper 90's. SO I need to come up with some way to say that a 40 mph difference isn't possible. I am pretty sure I had time to get up to that speed as it's a 4 mile straight from where I got onto the freeway to where I was going to get off.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
christobol.....Now that you've been given the ticket the only thing to do is hire the Best Lawyer possible and get this taken care of on that end......Hope all goes well........Good Luck

onyx_is said:
......if so, then it means that they can also eliminate or raise the factory set speed limiter... and I know NO ONE has done that yet.

If you are SURE that it can, then let me know and I'll call them to remove my speed limiter :)

No need to call them man...Just let Lance do it.....My car on the dno was proven to go 172 and I've had the needle to/and even a lil past the M in MPH so I know i gets up in that area......

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH Racing Enhanced.....
".....TOYOMOTO & BULLISH Racing.........When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST....."
.............Still TOYOMOTO's Top Dawg.....at least with an IS...lol

·
Registered
612 Posts
dt1313 said:
christobol.....Now that you've been given the ticket the only thing to do is hire the Best Lawyer possible and get this taken care of on that end......Hope all goes well........Good Luck

onyx_is said:
......if so, then it means that they can also eliminate or raise the factory set speed limiter... and I know NO ONE has done that yet.

No need to call them man...Just let Lance do it.....My car on the dno was proven to go 172 and I've had the needle to/and even a lil past the M in MPH so I know i gets up in that area......

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
".....TOYOMOTO & BULLISH Racing.........When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST....."

DAN...

good to hear from you! But WTF!!! Lance told me that he CAN'T remove it!!! Are you sure? Or did the guys at Bullish racing do that?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been out of the loop for awhlie but I thought the 142 was limited by the aerodynamics of the car and the power available. So I take it that isn't the case?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
christobol....The car is factory limited by the Computer to 144.....I believe it was figured out by GTE that the car could go about 155 before it ran out of gearing....

Onyx......Lance is definalty the one to remove my speed limiter.....Bullish didn't do that.....You need to call him and ask him how he did it.....I think I know how but I don't want to put mis-information out there.....

Hope that helps.....

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
You can get a Tec3 and wire it in. It has what they call a Valet mode. You can wire up a switch and set the limit as low as 1mph.
It does not however get rid of the speed limiter.

It would be a very unreasonable thing to do though, unless going FI.

just my $.02

Kane

1 - 20 of 33 Posts