Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I spoke to the dealer, she just kept talking about "package this, package that" and how you can only get certain options with certain packages (i.e. heated seats with Leather/Ecsaine).. she even told me that I couldn't get the moon roof without the $1705 package.. so my question is, has anyone ever tried ordering an IS ? I don't mind waiting if I can get what I want.. which right now, is:

Ecsaine only
LSD
Moonroof

My friend just got an A4 and they pretty much let him pick what he wanted.. although it'd take 4 months to get a ordered car..

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Isn't it interesting how mrclam always manages to relate BMW in some way to just about any non-BMW thread?

Not a flame, just an observation...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh-Dawg
What's up man? From my dealer, I hear that LSD is not made on these cars anymore. I tried to order one with LSD, but the dealer told me that ISs aren't equipped with them anymore, and it would take months to find one that would have them from other dealers, so I said forget it. Besides, I saved a hell of a lot with the deal I got on my car, so I was happy both ways. As for the packages you want, you certainly may order the car of your choice. As a matter of fact, go to Lexus.com and locate a dealer near you. Then when you get to the site, create a model of the IS300 to your choice (All the options are listed according to your choice and preference) and the price will come up and it will be sent to your nearest dealer. The dealer will contact you within 24 hours on your order and will tell you what he can do about the choices you selected on the model of the IS300. At least that's how I ordered my car, and I got it in 2 weeks. Hope everything goes well, and keep me posted.

Kenneth

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
str8upchillboi,

I did as you suggested.. but check this out.. I entered my zip, 92782 and here's what I chose:

Spectra Blue Mica
Black interior

The ONLY option it gave me was the Leather/Ecsaine with moonroof package (no LSD, no heated seats, no wood whatever). I tried to choose the luxury package with the LSD and it said it was not available with the color combo I wanted. But I could've swore it was available like a week ago when I was playing with it..

Anyways, so I tried again with a different area code.. 12980 or something.. and it gave me three different package options, all available with the color combo.. one which did offer the LSD, all of which had the Leather.. but regardless of area code, even though it says the cloth is standard, it wont let you 'deselect' a package..

I can't say anything about Lexus not wanting to deal with the demand n' all, but not offering the customer what they want isn't a good start with the whole Customer Satisfaction thing..

About the LSD thing your dealer told you.. both the dealers I spoke to mentioned it as being available.. it sounds to me like Lexus just wants to push what they think you need based on where you live..

[This message has been edited by oh-dawg (edited August 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Simple Lad,

Cool.. I guess I'll go try it at a dealer tomorrow.. I'll post my results.. 3-4 months will give me time to strip down my Civic (and save some money)..

[This message has been edited by oh-dawg (edited August 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Here is the deal -

Most of the IS300s that Lexus sends to the USA are "standard package builds" which include common options mixes that a dealer committee in your region requested of the factory.

There is some concensus that the western region (which includes California) has misjudged their target customer by only ordering cars with LSD option on cars with the full luxury treatment (Ivory leather + wood trim + heated seats + moonroof...). Also, the western region has not (so far) been getting standard build cars with graphite wheels. I think their biggest goof was to not order any LS+LD cars.

So, you say - just special order, right? Well the western region is also very hesitant to do any Lexus special orders. Most dealers will tell you that they cannot or will not place a special order, rather they can "preference" one of the standard build cars that is the closest match to what you want. With 3 basic standard build package coming to the western region right now alot of customers are forced to compromise on their options choices.

If you were buying in a different region then things might be "rosier" for you:
1> They might have different standard build cars that better suit your desire for specific options mixes.
2> They might make it easier for you to place a special order.

If you do find a dealer that can place your special order (and the factory agrees to make a car as you specify), then it will take approx 3-4 months from the time of the order until the car arrives, AND the dealer may require a substantial deposit.

As far as the LSD option goes, the EPA has told Lexus that only 33% of the IS300s brought into the USA can have the LSD option. This may be related to fuel mileage or emissions concerns, but I don't really know the actual reason. It may be that Lexus has sold more than 33% LSD cars at first, so they could have to stop installing LSDs for some period of time to keep within the required ratio. I don't think the LSD option is "gone for good", rather there may be batches of cars that are missing the option to satisy the EPA.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that informative reply, Teg.. well.. I stopped by Longo Lexus this afternoon and the salesman basically said the same thing.. although they had a few on the lot.. maybe thats why.. I turned down a test drive though.. I don't think I could sleep at night until I got one had I driven it..

·
Registered
202 Posts
WHere'd did you hear about EPA involvement with LSD? That's the biggest crock of doodoo I have ever heard.

Originally posted by TEG:
Here is the deal -
As far as the LSD option goes, the EPA has told Lexus that only 33% of the IS300s brought into the USA can have the LSD option. This may be related to fuel mileage or emissions concerns, but I don't really know the actual reason. It may be that Lexus has sold more than 33% LSD cars at first, so they could have to stop installing LSDs for some period of time to keep within the required ratio. I don't think the LSD option is "gone for good", rather there may be batches of cars that are missing the option to satisy the EPA.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>>> WHere'd did you hear about EPA involvement with LSD? That's the biggest crock of doodoo I have ever heard.

It was confirmed by multiple sources.

The first I heard was in a posting from a Lexus dealer:

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 18:39:38 -0400

Only 33% of US production wil have a Limited Slip
Differential due to EPA restrictions.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
And then a posting from a TRD employee:

"Yes, the Limited Slip Diff will be EPA limted to 33%
of production. It will have the same gear ratio as
the non-limited slip."

-------------

And then a confirmation from a Lexus factory rep:

A bit of clarification. LD is a 33% guided option. That means only 33% of the
cars can have the equipment due to EPA restrictions. The Western Area includes
dealers in Oregon, Washington, Colorado and other Northwest states. Those
states are serviced out of the Portland port. Due to climatic conditions in
those states it is necessary in build 100% of the cars going up there with LD.
That accounts for about 16% of the entire Western Area build. That leaves 14%
or so to be built for the dealers serviced out of the Long Beach port (LA, San
Fran, southwest).

(so people in places like Seattle get more LSD equipped [%] cars than we do here in California...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts