Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day when I started up my car for a friend, he noticed that I keep my lights on ON so that you can see the HID/Fog combo during the day. He said to never do that. Supposedly the HID Ballasts draw a ton of electricity from the battery and it drains it, he said to turn them off, and turn em back on when the engine is on, but not to let them start as I turn on the ignition.

Is there any truth to this myth? Or should I tell my buddy to stick to his 300zx forums....

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
the ballasts do require a little more power to fire up, but they actually used less power than halogen bulbs. you can leave them on as long as you are starting the car and not just turning the key to the ACC position, even then it will take a lot to kill the battery...your friend sounds stupid

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
What he said^. The option is there for a reason, the only thing it would affect is the life of the bulb, but then again if I want my engine to last forever should I not drive the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i usually leave my headlight switch setting on auto, maybe you should too...
if you keep your headlights to auto, then at night when you turn the car on, your HIDs will still turn on before hte car is started....

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
you bought the car. use it!! what if you crashed tomorrow?

let everything age appropriately, and replace as needed with new technology as it becomes available.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
i keep my fogs on at all time sense i have the "stand alone fog mod"... and guess what happened to me last week... a bulb blew out after 3 years of owning the car ;) just keep showing off your lights during the day if thats what you like but as stated above the life span will get effected

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
What he said^. The option is there for a reason, the only thing it would affect is the life of the bulb, but then again if I want my engine to last forever should I not drive the car?
u made a good point there.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
i totally agree with you on that one. The car isn't going to last forever man...enjoy it! I alway have Auto on but that's me. I just did the fog mod though and drove to work this morning with just the fogs and parking lights on. lmao! I probably won't do that all the time but it was cool being able to mess with it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts