Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just took off my exhaust pipe at home due to some damage. i just have my catback (b-pipe i think?) on my ypipe (downpipe). is it okay to drive to the exhaust shop like that? or is this reallll bad for my car? i dont care about the law so that doesnt bother me if its illegal. i just want to take it to the shop.

a leak btwn my cat back and down pipe.

my tanabe smr dented.

my tanabe muffler dented

is it okay to drive like this? just for about 30 min? (for my car's healt) it LEAKS a little at the tip of the resonator[/img]

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
wow howd you get it to dent like that big denty is your baby IS okay?? :p
and i don't think it would to drive it without exhaust..... never really tried it but its your only choice

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
it will be loud, but i think you can manage. hopefully you dont get pulled over inbetween.
tell us how much power you get top end cuz i know your gonna lose lots low end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FYI: One of the biggest misconceptions is that you need backpressure for low end torque. Not true. Search and you will see for yourself.

I would be very careful about driving without your muffler. Althrough it's hard to tell due to lack of depth, those bushings look awfully close to the exhaust exit. They'll most likely melt, along witht he underbody tar.

I'd venture to say that for short distances, and cold ambient temperatures, without too many standstills (stoplights) will be ok.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15 minuite drive okay? then? without anything that'll melt? or should i stick to the saffe side and put back my stock? i dont think that tanabe smr cat back is same size as my stock. its about .5 inch wider. man i wish i had a lift so i dont have to lie down for so long. its scary the car might crush me. i was nervous for like 30 min. loll .

·
Registered
935 Posts
Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. With the axle back part removed there is nothing at all supporting that pipe from the back end. An awful lot of strain will be placed on that flange and perhaps other spots further forward. Seems like a few minor bumps might get that thing wagging pretty badly which might do additional damage beyond what you are already dealing with. It's also not good to be driving around with the exhaust gasses being released under the car like that. Some of it could seep into the cabin and make you sick.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ONLY FOR 15 MINUITES DAMNIT! still that bad?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i'd play it safe and just put the stock exhaust back on - thus you don't risk burning anything or getting pulled over. jes my .02

-eric

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any local stock exhaust sellers? southern california

·
Registered
807 Posts
when my hiper got messed up i drove around without the muffler...but it wasent catback only axleback...as long as you secure the pipes with like that aluminum string

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
nrkht said:
If I shoot my head with a shotgun for only 15 minutes is it still that bad?

You seem reluctant in taking advice for some reason, although you are asking for it. Better play it safe than sorry. Put the exhaust back on, use steel wire to hold the exhaust up and go where you need to go. If the exhaust gets damaged, it gets damaged. You only have minor damage to the exhaust, you don't want to cause any more severe damage to the underbody of the car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crontab said:
nrkht said:
If I shoot my head with a shotgun for only 15 minutes is it still that bad?

You seem reluctant in taking advice for some reason, although you are asking for it. Better play it safe than sorry. Put the exhaust back on, use steel wire to hold the exhaust up and go where you need to go. If the exhaust gets damaged, it gets damaged. You only have minor damage to the exhaust, you don't want to cause any more severe damage to the underbody of the car.
thanks bro

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeh i put on my exhaust today . not fitting cuz pipes bent but i will take it to the shop like that. i will drive but SCRAPE LIK A MOFO~ wtb : stock exhaust

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
What the hell is the muffler going to matter besides the little back pressure and the noise reduction.

Did anyone here ever own a car that did not have the newer style stainless steel exhaust systems. Man, it used to be common place for you to lose a muffler once a year. The car would run a little bit like crap and be loud, but it survived.

I am just floored by some of the responses!!!!!!!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.