Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K I've been reading the last couple of posts and why do u owner/non-owners complain about the IS's supposed lack of speed? Since when is a car that does 0-60 in the low-mid 7 sec range, 1/4 at 90 or so and has a top speed of 144 not fast? I drove a IS the other day and it drove smoothly and has a good amount of punch for almost every situation. And what r people talking about when they say the IS is marketed as something it is not?

------------------
00 SE ALTIMA W/LTHR, 5SPD
CAI INTAKE and stuff
18" GIOVANNA BARLETTA W/225/35

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
You're probably talking about those visiting trolls... They were the only ones complaining...
Eric..

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by KJ:
O.K I've been reading the last couple of posts and why do u owner/non-owners complain about the IS's supposed lack of speed? Since when is a car that does 0-60 in the low-mid 7 sec range, 1/4 at 90 or so and has a top speed of 144 not fast? I drove a IS the other day and it drove smoothly and has a good amount of punch for almost every situation. And what r people talking about when they say the IS is marketed as something it is not?

I agree 100%. By the way, how do you like your Altima? I am really impressed with what Nissan has done with that car. They look real sharp! Hope you are having fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ISFAN:
I agree 100%. By the way, how do you like your Altima? I am really impressed with what Nissan has done with that car. They look real sharp! Hope you are having fun.
ISFAN I luv my Altima, I had a 95 and loved it. The changes that they made to the 2000 made me get it. Plus for 20g's I couldn't lose.
Hopefully though by late 01, I'll buy an IS/manual if I don't get an S60 T5 or the 02 3.5 Maxima.

------------------
CAI INTAKE and stuff

·
Registered
103 Posts
Perceived speeds are all relevant. If you come from driving 8 to 9 second cars, then yes, it's fast. If you are eagerly awaiting the E46 M3 (4.8s 0-60), then it is as slow as a senior with a walker.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
If speed is your deal the why not buy a bike? Nothing can touch the right crotch rocket....chicks dig 'em too...I remember Spring Break at Palm Springs back in '90 Holy crap... sluts with G Strings were everwhere riding on the backs of those bikes...sadly I didn't have one but Agent Smith still managed to land some tang...Doug thank your girlfriend for me again.lol

IS is plenty fast for me, but I like hitting the turns the best.....smooth, quick and nimble...then again it's no VW...boo hoo.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Beleive it or not, my IS300 does shoot from 0-60mph in 7.1 seconds. I've tested it many times (with a G-Tech).
What's the big deal if some people can't get it to run that fast...what's the big deal. MB claimed their C320 will do 60 in 6.9 or something...but the recent C&D has is doing that in 7.8 seconds. I don't see people complaining about the Benz.
What matters most is how the car performs overall. Mine does quite well in every situations. Whether it's at a stop light or cruising on the highway...I usually kick ass or keep up with the competitors.
The trolls can say what they want (although I'd prefer if they went to their respective forums), but I love my IS300.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by KJ:
And what r people talking about when they say the IS is marketed as something it is not?
The trolls are talking about the 7.1 0-60 that Lexus claims vs the 7.4-7.8 times that magazines have measured.

So the trolls are jumping on that inconsistency. Like I really drive home from work thinking, "man, my car is .3 seconds slow." Give_me_a_break! Be gone, trolls!

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Had a couple of honeys from teen slut magazine asking for your number Smitty, the only prob with the vette is that you get the strippers and the peepers and the chicks with beepers.

Never get a second look on the bike, course I got my troll helmutt on, thought they dug that american trash HD anyway???!!

Did someone say the IS was fast? Has anyone pegged out their IS??? Can you get 140+ do tell.

Tempted to post pics but not for all to see, maybe I'll throw one up on a thread doomed from the start and see if you catch it in time.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
Had a couple of honeys from teen slut magazine asking for your number Smitty, the only prob with the vette is that you get the strippers and the peepers and the chicks with beepers.

Never get a second look on the bike, course I got my troll helmutt on, thought they dug that american trash HD anyway???!!

Did someone say the IS was fast? Has anyone pegged out their IS??? Can you get 140+ do tell.

Tempted to post pics but not for all to see, maybe I'll throw one up on a thread doomed from the start and see if you catch it in time.

They sound like my kind of sluts....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by droideka:
Perceived speeds are all relevant. If you come from driving 8 to 9 second cars, then yes, it's fast. If you are eagerly awaiting the E46 M3 (4.8s 0-60), then it is as slow as a senior with a walker.
Thats true but my car is modded so try mid-high 7's(if u were talking about my car in particular). But we all know the M3 is going to be the sh.. but at what cost, much more than an IS.

------------------
CAI INTAKE and stuff

·
Registered
511 Posts
The IS is "peppy", almost quick. It would be quick with a manual. Read a Road and Track review of the 1988 M3 v. 325is (same vintage). The 325is did 0-60 in 7.5 and the 1/4 in 15.1--this was ten years ago. The 325is had the same final drive as the IS. The only thing that would account for the IS300 not being much quicker is the loss of power through that dumb auto transmission.

·
Registered
86 Posts
3 a.m., my friend and I (His M3 - serveral very long car lengths ahead)were driving fast, I hit 137 before I chickened and slowed to 105... that **** gets a little freaky... but it still felt pretty well planted. Way better than my Accord V6 at 105 mph. (I know this is irresponsible and apologize to all IS owners who deam this ridiculous - no other cars in immediate area
)

[This message has been edited by Black300 (edited November 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the tech is more for comparing before/after mods than it is for an accurate number. i think you're wrong about the benz, i havent' raelly read any articles but german car manufacturers, especially benz and bmw rarely overstep their bounds in claims. theyr'e usually conservative so that their drivers can have cheaper insurance premiums. "Quick" depends on what you consider fast. the is300 is plenty fast if you're coming from a 4cyl or previous low power cars, but if you want to talk about some real speed, take a look at some of the BPU+ supras outt ehre, they hit 60 in like 3s-4s, the 1/4 in 9. that's fast, like world class fast. for me personally, anything in the 4s-5-s and low 6s is fast, but not sevens.

Originally posted by hasanazhar:
Beleive it or not, my IS300 does shoot from 0-60mph in 7.1 seconds. I've tested it many times (with a G-Tech).
What's the big deal if some people can't get it to run that fast...what's the big deal. MB claimed their C320 will do 60 in 6.9 or something...but the recent C&D has is doing that in 7.8 seconds. I don't see people complaining about the Benz.
What matters most is how the car performs overall. Mine does quite well in every situations. Whether it's at a stop light or cruising on the highway...I usually kick ass or keep up with the competitors.
The trolls can say what they want (although I'd prefer if they went to their respective forums), but I love my IS300.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Man can we get a consensus on what quick is!!! For Gawds sake can we just get along, Can't we all accept Smitty for the stank ace ho he is destined to become??

For Me personally 0-60 in under 5.5 is quick for a car and 4.5 is supercar.

Fast is 155-160 and 170 and above is supercar.

(assuming the car is stock, no blowers on the Gas VW's)

Had I bought an IS I would have been in line for the Supercharger and at 265-285hp I think you really got a car. My only bitch is that its a little slow to 60 and the supercharger would remedy that. I felt they left something on the table, and the gas mileage thing that sucks to.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It all depends on the label. Things I consider quick:

Minivan/SUV <8
Luxury <7
Sports Sedan <6.5
Sports Coupe <6
Sports Car <5

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The Audi S4 and BMW M3 (e36) are quick cars. The IS300 is at least 1-2 seconds slower to 60mph. The IS300 _looks_ like it should be quicker than a Nissan Maxima, but it isn't.

Now if we are talking top speed (fast rather than quick), then yes, the IS300 holds its own very nicely (it does do 144, but I can't tell you from experience). Many of the "competitors" (e.g. BMW) are speed limited by an ECU governor to a max of around 130Mph. I would say that most of them are this way because _they_ sell some models with tires which aren't rated for speeds above 140mph.

Anyways - I am dissapointed that the IS300 isn't closer to 6 sec 0-60, but it IS quick/fast enough for it to be able to handle most traffic/merging/passing situations without issue.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
MrClam, hasanazhar is correct about the C320. I saw that review in Car and Drive too, and was surprise by how far they were off by. I actually posted this a month or so back in an old thread, so it is really nothing new.
I guess MB knows how to play Lexus's game now. This is no longer a Lexus's thing, it is MB's as well.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
To put it in perspective, the IS300 is about the same speed as a BMW E30 M3 (early, not later one), which is thought of by many as the best sports sedan ever made. Many Americans think driving is all about 0-60 or 1/4mi times. Nothing could be further from the truth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts