Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently picked up a used 04 Forester X as a second car.

I was really surprised to find that the hood is aluminium, all the window switches are lit, the window washer fluid sprays out in a mist all over, the engine is all aluminium.

Although this Forester is actually surprisingly good to drive and really handles well which must actually be due to the lower center of gravity of the boxer engine, the IS is still much much better and really feels like a luxury car.

But I still can't help but realize that the IS is dated/they did in fact drop the ball on actually all of the items above that would have really improved a lot of things.

·
Registered
725 Posts
"window washer fluid sprays out in a mist all over" My 2004 IS300 has this feature. I like it A LOT better than the way my 2001 IS300 did it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
My 2003 IS300 is magic and does umm magic things.......I'm crying on the inside

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
If you have a 2008, it will be outdated by August. Just the fact of technology.... makes me wanna buy a new car. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
"window washer fluid sprays out in a mist all over" My 2004 IS300 has this feature. I like it A LOT better than the way my 2001 IS300 did it.
:pissed:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You will be loving the aging IS300 when they pass the OBD 3 law in the future. Kiss modding your car goodbye.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I wish it was the XT but it is just the base X that I got...all the more reason why the aluminium hood bit is especially bothersome....also the supra engines were all aluminium so perhaps my issue is not entirely that the car is dated but that they cut corners on the 'sports' bit....just think, those weight savings would have brought our car very close to 50/50. This would have made real sense since the Altezza was designed to be close to 50/50 with the 4 cyl Beams engine....but who knows maybe they figured that the weight was good to give the car some Lexus feel...

But few cars still put a smile on my face like the IS300. It is a joy to drive and some of the flaws like the clunk of the MT give it the character that most cars lack. The Straight six is my most favourite engine for its smoothness and I really can't stand the roughness of the V6 even in the IS350 and even if it is 306 hp...I will be keeping the IS for a while but my next car will be a straight six with a TT (I read recently that the end is close even for the BMW NA SS) or a V8 which is another smooth engine.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Well I wish it was the XT but it is just the base X that I got...all the more reason why the aluminium hood bit is especially bothersome....also the supra engines were all aluminium so perhaps my issue is not entirely that the car is dated but that they cut corners on the 'sports' bit....just think, those weight savings would have brought our car very close to 50/50. This would have made real sense since the Altezza was designed to be close to 50/50 with the 4 cyl Beams engine....but who knows maybe they figured that the weight was good to give the car some Lexus feel...

But few cars still put a smile on my face like the IS300. It is a joy to drive and some of the flaws like the clunk of the MT give it the character that most cars lack. The Straight six is my most favourite engine for its smoothness and I really can't stand the roughness of the V6 even in the IS350 and even if it is 306 hp...I will be keeping the IS for a while but my next car will be a straight six with a TT (I read recently that the end is close even for the BMW NA SS) or a V8 which is another smooth engine.
Say what ? :pissed:

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
I was really surprised to find that the hood is aluminium, all the window switches are lit, the window washer fluid sprays out in a mist all over, the engine is all aluminium.
This is why I mod my car. My TRD CF hood is as good as OEM, my '04+ washer nozzles are mist type, the KP mirror tilt module works like the 2IS mirror tilt in reverse, the Toyota floor lamps mimic the 2IS floor lamps, FIGS hood props mimic 2IS props, LED license lamps + interior exterior JDM LEDs mimic new car lighting, upcoming Vaistech aux-in/iPod adapter mimics new car adapters, JDM voice nav kit mimics higher end cars... i'm not even halfway through and everything so far is OEM quality!

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is why I mod my car. My TRD CF hood is as good as OEM, my '04+ washer nozzles are mist type, the KP mirror tilt module works like the 2IS mirror tilt in reverse, the Toyota floor lamps mimic the 2IS floor lamps, FIGS hood props mimic 2IS props, LED license lamps + interior exterior JDM LEDs mimic new car lighting, upcoming Vaistech aux-in/iPod adapter mimics new car adapters, JDM voice nav kit mimics higher end cars... i'm not even halfway through and everything so far is OEM quality!
I agree with Chado, I just bought my is300 used and try to make it as luxorious as possible. I needed a static, older car (the newer ones look all the same, look at all the Lexus' and BMW's, they look quite similiar to me.) Hopefully in the later years, the is300 becomes a car to be well mentioned.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
So I recently picked up a used 04 Forester X as a second car.

Although this Forester is actually surprisingly good to drive and really handles well which must actually be due to the lower center of gravity of the boxer engine, the IS is still much much better and really feels like a luxury car.

But I still can't help but realize that the IS is dated/they did in fact drop the ball on actually all of the items above that would have really improved a lot of things.
CEB... keep in mind that the IS300/Altezza came out in 1998!!! How many other cars from the year 2000 are NOT showing their age these days??? :confused:

Reactions: CEB

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes all very good points. The modding purpose as well as the 1998.

I am actually rather proud that the car had such a long production run 1998-2005 and is still at least somewhat competitive today. I can't think of a Japanese car off hand that can claim this.

I am even prouder that so few MT IS300s with LSD and full leather are out there....I sort of estimated 5000 at most.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts

Youre on crack. The reason the inline six is so stout and indestructable is the iron block. MKIV Supras were NEVER regaurded as lightweight sports cars. Infact! Its an old moniker on the supra boards, who cares what it weighs? We have the power to push it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to chime in with the fact Subaru pulled back on giving so many of their cars the aluminum hood. Begining in '08 all the WRXs which ALWAYS had aluminum hoods now were standard with simple steel ones.
Not positive if they pulled the aluminum hoods from the forester line up or not but I suppose it doesn't matter since the next gen forester is horendous.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes all very good points. The modding purpose as well as the 1998.

I am actually rather proud that the car had such a long production run 1998-2005 and is still at least somewhat competitive today. I can't think of a Japanese car off hand that can claim this.

I am even prouder that so few MT IS300s with LSD and full leather are out there....I sort of estimated 5000 at most.
How about the toyota Cresida?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
True, the IS300 may be showing its' age but it's still a sight to behold. People are still turning their head to check out the car where ever it goes. I still get compliments for the car where ever I park. I still get people pull along side of me and giving me a thumbs up or nod their heads in approval. Time will only tell if the IS300 will a good collectors' car.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True, the IS300 may be showing its' age but it's still a sight to behold. People are still turning their head to check out the car where ever it goes. I still get compliments for the car where ever I park. I still get people pull along side of me and giving me a thumbs up or nod their heads in approval. Time will only tell if the IS300 will a good collectors' car.
Yes the staying power is impressive. Also when I drive my 10 year old design IS right after the 2003 design Forester, the IS does blow the Forry away in terms of nearly everything...

But the objective facts are still that Lexus could have a) done a little more to the IS and/or b) developed it a little further along the way.... which I am sure they didn't do because it wouldn't be cost effective.

The IS was designed to compete against the E36 but by the time it hit the US was up against the E46.

Certainly there can be no argument to the fact that if the IS put out 250hp stock, then it would have even more staying power...and I don't think that this would have been prohibitively expensive to do....but since the E36 put out 192HP Lexus thought (understandably) that 215 was fine....it was but only for the blink of an eye before many manufacturers went nuts with hp.

My fantasy was that as with the Scion, TRD would offer a bolt on supercharger for around $4K that would give a modest 50hp increase but keep all the electronics working and the car completely emissions compliant. I think many of us would have jumped on this. This alone would make the IS completely competitive even today.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Whether or not it's design elements are holding up well to age are dependent on where you live. Here in San Diego I run into a IS at least 10 times a day. I can honestly drive down my neighborhood and see 5 of them parked, not to mention all the ones I see on the road.

It's one thing to own a car with a enthusiasts following (Evo, STi, S2000) where they are limited. It's another to drive the IS which in my area is similar to seeing a Econo box civic. They aren't that special around here and after you see SO much of the car constantly it wears down it's attractiveness.

I hate when on occasion I run into 4-5 IS's in the parking lot of the Gym and ALL the drivers are Women who are oblivious to the car they own, it's just a fancy Lexus to them.

You can't say the same for Evo/STi/S2000 (<-Examples) owners who know what they are getting into before purchasing.

Just a rant.:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts