Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Im new in this forum.

Have read some topics also here what is related with my questions a bit.

Have been driving with 3 lexus is250 before and not having any big issues and now I bought Lexus GS250 2012 with 198 000 km driven.
Engine should be the same as Is250.

So First
  • After a while of driven with car started to hear that rattle noise when starting a car. It happen rarely with overnight parked car and more when i have driven and car is parked like an hour or so. Services has been done only at Lexus dealership and engine oil has used mainly 0w20 Mobil 1 (sometimes in beginning it was used 5w30). Engine chain haven´t been changed and dealeship told that at the moment it is not needed to replace.
  • Dealeship also told that rattle is "normal" and shouldn´t worry about that...but cmon driving a lexus and if you start a car it makes pretty annoying sound...
  • Second thing is that oil consumption, driving mainly in city and distances are not that long. In car manual book ja reat that it is normal still when it takes 1L to 1000km. - According to that - between the oil changes what i have done in every10 000km im have to add in total during that time 10l of oil and i think that should be normal. I have not checked that so deeply but have added 2L at least in 10k km so far. indicator has come up that low engine oil.

Should i worry about situation?? Diagnostic don´t show any fault codes and dont have lights shining on dashboard
Should i make engine chain and vvti gear replacement? In local Lexus dealership it is around 3500 - 4000 euros.

Have a nice day/evening.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
2L of oil in 10k km is nothing to worry about in my opinion. Begin being concerned when consumption is greater than 1L per 2500 km. Even when consumption gets worse than that, it's hardly anything to worry about so long as it runs well.

Can't help with the rattle you hear, but cam chains are intended to last forever. I doubt the chain is an issue though sometimes the cam chain tensioners can be problematic...but I say that generically; not specifically about any Lexus models. If the Lexus dealer is saying the cam chain arrangement is normal - I wouldn't worry about it.

· Registered
258 Posts
Cam gear, oil drains down to sump and causes the noise/contact on cold starts. Lexus L-SB-0157-08. Very common. Replaced more than a few sets under TSB, I think we only had like 2 gears that separated and blew up. I’d keep an eye on it.
5W-20/30 oil may help. Oil consumption is kinda tricky. The general problem is the oil rings on that engine and GDI. The fact that you’re getting the low oil light is not a good sign, that will also compound the cam gear issue.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then its sounds like i have to take it to dealership and let them look and change it, i would like change my car and cant sell it that way…

whats the cost for that in usa?
If i looked one lexus parts site i got on my calculation aprox 2000 dollars on parts (includin all cam gears and chains and tensioners)

· Registered
258 Posts
You can definitely sell the car like that if you’re upfront to the buyer… Like the dealer told you, that noise is common on a lot of engines not just the GS one. They rarely evolve into a big problem from my personal experience. Considering that TSB paid like 5 hours to only change the gears, no chains or tensioners, that be somewhere around $1500-2000 in just labor at dealerships close to me. Add parts cost plus extra labor needed for a full chain replacement it’s gonna be $$$$. Add the oil consumption problems which you haven’t traced, it’s not worth the money to fix a noise issue at this point. Save your money, adjust your oil options and oil change interval while verifying no external oil leaks and drive on or sell as is. Putting money into these repairs to sell the car is not worth it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about doing engine cleaning inside , using oil additive and doing oil change again.?

Today i did a service in dealership. No leaks on engine and no other comments from dealership for anything unusual.
I reset the trip gage to look what is actual km driven when it tells me to add oil. Mayby im just too much overthinking and being concerned about oil consumtion..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts