Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
That is really sick!
I would also like to know which security system you use.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi guys its not totally key less yet here in the uk insurance companies get funny if you dont have a steering lock ( or so im told)

I will probably be working on this over the winter months as its show season now no time to have the car in pieces lol

i intend on fitting a solenoid to control the steering lock i mean after all its a manual pin that pushes in now so why cant it be electronic...

Im using a clifford Avantguard 5.5 system so over there its a DEI unit...

The write up is coming as im not happy about posting up a half finished project if you catch me....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thought I'd throw in my two cents, I did this on my ford tempo for about 30 bucks back in the day (far shittier job, far older car, mind you not trying to brag) and though the car was old, and you could drive it, you could only go in a straight line. The wheel lock is mechanical, therefore you still actually need the key in (and in the drive position, mind you) to drive. For my Tempo, I had three switches. Two on/off and one momentary contact. One was for accessories, one for ignition on, and the momentary for the starter engage, all of which was just sitting in the steering column. When I wired both the accessory and ignition together on one switch, with or without the key, I couldn't just have it on accessory, so I changed it cuz I could lol.

I don't really trust myself to do it on this car (FUCK playing around with steering columns with airbags) but it sure is a fun little project for old cars.
-quick note, if you have a manual, you can engineer a switch to fool the NSS, but that's dangerous waters...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i intend on fitting a solenoid to control the steering lock i mean after all its a manual pin that pushes in now so why cant it be electronic...
I looked into that idea but without a certain amount of "testing" for the Transport safety board you can't put an electric solenoid on the steering lock, because if you have a power surge or loss of current your steering could lock on the highway!

So if it's not "legal" to have the solenoid setup, I figured why not go without it altogether?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I looked into that idea but without a certain amount of "testing" for the Transport safety board you can't put an electric solenoid on the steering lock, because if you have a power surge or loss of current your steering could lock on the highway!

So if it's not "legal" to have the solenoid setup, I figured why not go without it altogether?
yeah imvery against taking it out completely after all its there for a reason lol, im thinking of retrofitting the solenoid from a late spec car which has undergone thorough testing, it would be connected to the alarm so there is no way the lock can go on if there is a stall etc on the car only if the doors are locked ....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still working on this possibly the entire column may be replaced in order to go keyless just a matter of finding which one will fit straight in...

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but Rabster, the link your provided does not work anymore :/
i was real curious to see how the installation and wiring went.

Edited. I got it to work lol awesome work. Any updates since you guys left off from the thread?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts