Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just want to share my experience with you. The Potenza that came on some IS F will be almost impossible to get if you suffer a blow out. Don't ask me why the tire don't exist as a replacement. I have tried. USA does not have any tires for sale. It comes from Japan only with a back order of 4-6 months. That info came from the Lexus Rep. Can't confirm the fact. But I do know that since Lexus could not find me a tire (Potenza). All four tires were replaced to the Michellin PS2. Why? Because the Potenza don't exist in America. Really hard to believe, but true. I have tried every tire dealer in USA. But Lexus came through with their high customer service mission statement to provide the highest quality of customer service. The Michellin is by far the better tire of the two that came with the IS F. You can find replacement for the Michellin through Lexus only.

·
Registered
49 Posts
..and I am finding out how hard those are to find/replace. I might end up having to replace all 4. My only question is that was this overlooked when Lexus gave shoes to the ISF which can last from 5-15k miles depending on driving style? Tirerack don't have any ETA on when this will be available.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
It seems that Lexus IS F Chief Engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi and his staff demanded very specific compounds/tire composition for the IS F, and put out his requests to both Michelin and Bridgestone. Michelin responded far more quickly, since all the IS Fs at both Laguna Seca previews I attended were on Pilot Sport PS2s. In fact, I'd noticed that many of the articles on the Internet dutifully repeated what the Lexus IS F Press Information kit and Official Press Releases said: "available tires are Bridgestone Potenza and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 built to Lexus specifications for the IS F". So, at the Technical and Marketing Briefing back on 25 October 2007, I asked about this and was told that, unlike the case with the Michelins, development of an IS F-specific Bridgestone tire was still ongoing, to the point that they weren't sure whether it would be a variant of the Potenza RE050A or of the RE070.

Brand-specific versions/formulations/variants of summer performance tires are more common than I'd expected. A search for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 page on Tire Rack's website back then revealed specific Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari and Dodge Viper versions of that tire. The Lexus-specific Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s should be available by now or will be shortly, and I'd expect the IS F-specific Bridgestone Potenza RE050As to become available later this year, but, given Bridgestone's lagging behind Michelin throughout the IS F development process, I'm not at all surprised about these cases where one faulty Bridgestone is replaced by a full set of Michelins.

Reactions: JayMarino

·
Registered
49 Posts
With some luck, my dealer was able to contact another dealer over on the West and I should have it in by the middle of next week. However, I am giving the RE050 start of summer to be widely available with a turn around time of 3 days if purchased from tirerack. If the RE050 are not available I am going to swap for the P2's.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
So, you already need new tires?

Reactions: bartkat

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I prefer the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. That's what Jruhi4 and I burned consistently at Laguna Seca Raceway and the streets of Monterey & Carmel. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts