Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to buy an IS-F, but I can't really get over the looks.

Does anyone have any idea if the regular IS fenders would fit on an IS-F?

I'd love to get rid of those ugly fenders with the fake vents, replace the fake quad exhausts with IS350-like single pots and an IS rear bumper, debadge it and make it the ultimate sleeper...

·
Registered
436 Posts
The wheels would probably have to be changed, I'm sure they are offset to fit flush. I say go for it! Be the pioneer on IS-F moddin'!

Eric

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Don't forget the hood as well...not sure if anything else can fit it, but the hood is a dead giveaway. I can spot an IS-F on the streets here in LA from several hundred feet away just from the hood.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Just get a black IS-F... then you can de-badge it... put on stock tailights, etc. I think that's the closest you'll get to a sleeper. The body panels on the car have those various bulges to fit the mechanical changes that were done to the car. While they have been stylized... they are there out of necessity.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
arent the fenders wider for the wheels also?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Yup! Sorry... I thought I was including that when I said mechanical. I basically meant to include all performance enhancements.

Wider Fender = Bigger Wheels

Large Openings in the Front = Better cooling... cooling ducts for brakes... extra opening for air intake

Bulging Hood = create room for larger engine

·
Registered
506 Posts
buy one and then find someone on this forum with an IS350 in the same colour and start swapping as much stuff as you can.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup! Sorry... I thought I was including that when I said mechanical. I basically meant to include all performance enhancements.

Wider Fender = Bigger Wheels

Large Openings in the Front = Better cooling... cooling ducts for brakes... extra opening for air intake

Bulging Hood = create room for larger engine
The wheels are 19" and no wider than the IS350's. There are plenty of 350s with 19" wheels...

The hood would be the hardest one the deal with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
actually the "Fake" vents you don't like actually cool the big brakes in the front. They are functional, not a cosmetic application. Also the quad tips in the back are used for down force when the car goes over 140mph...kinda like a diffuser :) Well that's what I heard from clublexus.com :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
actually the "Fake" vents you don't like actually cool the big brakes in the front. They are functional, not a cosmetic application. Also the quad tips in the back are used for down force when the car goes over 140mph...kinda like a diffuser :) Well that's what I heard from clublexus.com :rolleyes:
You are actually dead on! There's nothing fake about the IS-F. The quad tips are actually separate from the actual muffler to reduce the coefficient of drag of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I tought, but apparently they're cosmetic only.

Now, the vents where the regular IS' fog lights are, these are functional. They feed fresh air to the brakes.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
That's what I tought, but apparently they're cosmetic only.

Now, the vents where the regular IS' fog lights are, these are functional. They feed fresh air to the brakes.
yes and no. The functionality of the fender vents are for that the hot air escape, so hot air doesnt build up in the wheel well. Circulation of cold air in and hot air out.

the is-f is near close to perfection, leave it be...
Agreed :approve: For close to 6 digit$$$$$ it should have come with a manual only option. :(

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The wheels are 19" and no wider than the IS350's. There are plenty of 350s with 19" wheels...

The hood would be the hardest one the deal with.
The IS350 wheels are 8" width front and 8.5" in the rear as the IS F is 8" front and 9" rear. But the tire size is the same as the IS350 which is a 255. I would have gone 265 or 275 for the rear from factory.

·
Registered
506 Posts
^ also the offsets are probably diferent on the IS-F.. I'm assuming that size the fenders are flared out 10mm, the offset on the wheels is probably 10mm lower.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts