Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a used low mileage IS F.

I currently own an 03 IS300 which has been a wonderful car. Not a single problem with it since new. I had to do a rear main at 85K but other than that it has never been in the shop for anything other than sched. maint.

How are the F's doing in the reliabilty department. I keep my cars for awhile and want 100k trouble free miles. Any high mileage IS F's out there to chime in?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Is300 03 as well and still loving it, but needed more power and picked up a brand new IsF...my buddy has a IsF 2008 that has around 35k miles aready and he said he has no problems at all...just the basic maintance like brakes will kill you...so just make sure the IsF you pick up has been well maintained and doesn't need any major services.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am looking into purchasing a used low mileage IS F.

I currently own an 03 IS300 which has been a wonderful car. Not a single problem with it since new. I had to do a rear main at 85K but other than that it has never been in the shop for anything other than sched. maint.

How are the F's doing in the reliabilty department. I keep my cars for awhile and want 100k trouble free miles. Any high mileage IS F's out there to chime in?

Keep in mind this engine is based off the 4.6 from the LS460, with that in mind they de-tuned it to 416hp for 200K plus miles reliability. With that being said mine has had NO problems what so ever. These cars were made to be driven with typical Toyota reliability.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Detuned? I thought they bumped up displacement and horsepower? Doesn't it make less power in the LS?

That's said I'd you see the top gear road test it showed black smoke pouring out the exhaust pipe. Any ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Detuned? I thought they bumped up displacement and horsepower? Doesn't it make less power in the LS?

That's said I'd you see the top gear road test it showed black smoke pouring out the exhaust pipe. Any ideas?
I may be color blind but the smoke from the pipes was white, not black...lol.... Anyways that was a press car, which had the snot beat out of it and was obviously experiencing some serious problems. There is NO way they should have used a car in that type of condition for set lap times. So to answer your question that car was BROKEN! None of us have ever had our cars do anything similar, and press fleet vehicles are almost always destroyed after use for a reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.