Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been beaten to death at different discussion boards, still I would like to ask here again if it makes sense to replace oil at 1000 miles or better wait till 5000 as dealer/manual suggests...

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
1000 mile is just a free safety check and they top off all the fluids and set personalized settings...

first oil change is at 5000 miles...and increments of 5k after as well

both services are provided complimentary by your lexus dealer

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
1000 mile is just a free safety check and they top off all the fluids and set personalized settings...

first oil change is at 5000 miles...and increments of 5k after as well

both services are provided complimentary by your lexus dealer
can i go to any dealer or do i need to go to the dealership where i bought the car from?

thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
can i go to any dealer or do i need to go to the dealership where i bought the car from?

thanks
Yes you can. Any Lexus dealer will service your car. The 1k and 5k mile complimentary services are offered directly from Lexus USA and is honored at any dealership regardless of your purchase.

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
Yes you can. Any Lexus dealer will service your car. The 1k and 5k mile complimentary services are offered directly from Lexus USA and is honored at any dealership regardless of your purchase.
thank you so much. Would you happen to have the instructions for disabling the DRL so i can give it to the dealer?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
i change my oil every 1000 miles anyway....
Not everyone can waste money in today's economy. Why would you change it so damn often, unless you are heavily modified putting down 600rwhp and up, I see no point of changing oil that often. Depending on your driving habits I guess, if you drive 10miles a week than maybe that 1000mi will take you a year or so to do, than I can see that.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Not everyone can waste money in today's economy. Why would you change it so damn often, unless you are heavily modified putting down 600rwhp and up, I see no point of changing oil that often. Depending on your driving habits I guess, if you drive 10miles a week than maybe that 1000mi will take you a year or so to do, than I can see that.
you answered your own question......

if you can afford an ISF something tells me you cna afford to change the oil at 1000 miles initially. when i first built the motor i changed the oil every 500 miles for about 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I must ask again... why change your oil so often??? You are just wasting your oil and your money.

You could change your toothbrush every day... but there's no point to that either.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
well when you build a motor with all forged internals and spend 6k on just a bottom end, you'll change your oil more often too i bet.

when you first assemble a motor nothing is seated properly. so the compression is down, you get a lot of blow by, which means your oil gets a lot of carbon in it and it reduces it's lubrication characteristics., on a new motor you need to change your oil often.

i put new oil in it, started the car, let it run for about 15 minutes, changed it, cut the filter and inspected. ran the car for another 15-20 minutes, changed the oil, cut the filter and inspected. i changed the oil 5 times before it ever had 100 miles. then at 500 miles i changed it again. and again at 1000 and 1500 etc...

it's not over kill or a waste of money, it protecting a motor, oil is the simplest thing you can do to keep a car healthy. change it often.

every time i change it i also cut the filter open and inspect it, is that overkill too?

i'd rather spend an extra $70 or so on oil than another $6k on a bottom end not to mention a year downtime to get it all machined and assembled properly.

buy in bulk, saves a lot.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
There's nothing wrong with caring about your engine... but changing it every week for example is excessive. You're not even getting any use out of the oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am coming up on first oil change as well .. Interesting one though.. couple weeks ago, parked on a slight decline. Was extremely mild slope but the low oil light flicked on. Checked the stick and it was registering just below min. Drove it to nearby station and went to check it again and it was back up to mid between low and high.

Dealer called it in and there is no known issue but they have asked me to come in in a couple of weeks cause head office wants to monior it. So sounds like the level sensor might be a little sensitive so don't freek out immediately if you get the light on.

edit: and i agree with the above. 1000 miles is a bit excessive and i have driven everything from isf's to fully stroked and bored 454 big blocks at stupid compression levels. If your getting contamination or carbon in the oil below 5000 miles or viscosity breakdown then you have bigger issues then an oil change fettish. Doing something more often then needed isn't nessesarily better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
oil change every 1000 miles make no sense for the average car owner. follow manufacturer's recommendation and change every 5000. in my 24 years of car ownership and changing oil every 5-7k miles, i have yet to encounter a single engine problem due to oil or filter problem. my 13 year-old acura TL has over 130K and never has oil changed more often than every 5000 miles still can achieve 0-60 in < 8 seconds. not fast, but not much slower than 13 years ago either.

consumer report did a study 10 years ago on New York taxicabs comparing oil change at 3000 mile interval vs 5000 mile interval. at end of 50,000 miles, all engines were taken apart and analyzed. there was absolutely no difference between the two groups. oil and engine technologies have progressed tremendously over the past decades. changing oil every 3000 miles is still promoted only by oil changer franchise to make a profit.

don't waste your money and resource. just because you can afford to throw money away, doesn't mean you should do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ROFLMAO. So i'm assuming you have another car you drive or is your IS a garage queen like mine?

you answered your own question......

if you can afford an ISF something tells me you cna afford to change the oil at 1000 miles initially. when i first built the motor i changed the oil every 500 miles for about 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
oil change every 1000 miles make no sense for the average car owner. follow manufacturer's recommendation and change every 5000. in my 24 years of car ownership and changing oil every 5-7k miles, i have yet to encounter a single engine problem due to oil or filter problem. my 13 year-old acura TL has over 130K and never has oil changed more often than every 5000 miles still can achieve 0-60 in < 8 seconds. not fast, but not much slower than 13 years ago either.

consumer report did a study 10 years ago on New York taxicabs comparing oil change at 3000 mile interval vs 5000 mile interval. at end of 50,000 miles, all engines were taken apart and analyzed. there was absolutely no difference between the two groups. oil and engine technologies have progressed tremendously over the past decades. changing oil every 3000 miles is still promoted only by oil changer franchise to make a profit.

don't waste your money and resource. just because you can afford to throw money away, doesn't mean you should do it.
Wonder if this all means BMW and Porsche have it right, first oil change around 10k in BMW and Porsche, not for a year!?

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Here's my take: Once the engine is broken in do oil changes as often/ far apart as you like. But if it was me I'd do one at 1000 miles because of that fact alone - you just broke it in, get all of the impurities (if any, better safe than sorry) out of there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts