Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone I ran across an article by automobilemag.com and they dynod a stock IS-F at 333rwhp and 318lbs of torque. Would that be in par with the 15-20% drivetrain loss. While skimming the net is was in one of the BMW forums bimmerpost and a guy who just got the new M3 Europe has them before the USA. He dynod his stock M3 at 350whp and 259lbs of torque. due to the fact he was going to install an ecu upgrade from kelleners sport.com good for 40+ hp. The car has been out for less then a month a mods are ready. My question since the ISF is a full liter larger in displacment why would the M3 do better it makes sense the ISF would produce larger numbers. Would we able to also get ecu upgrades? Are there any other dyno numbers on the Audi or Benz? Any input guys just educating myself?

Link..

My Stock E92 M3 Dyno Test Result - BimmerPost - BMW Forums

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Hey Everyone I ran across an article by automobilemag.com and they dynod a stock IS-F at 333rwhp and 318lbs of torque. Would that be in par with the 15-20% drivetrain loss. While skimming the net is was in one of the BMW forums bimmerpost and a guy who just got the new M3 Europe has them before the USA. He dynod his stock M3 at 350whp and 259lbs of torque. due to the fact he was going to install an ecu upgrade from kelleners sport.com good for 40+ hp. The car has been out for less then a month a mods are ready. My question since the ISF is a full liter larger in displacment why would the M3 do better it makes sense the ISF would produce larger numbers. Would we able to also get ecu upgrades? Are there any other dyno numbers on the Audi or Benz? Any input guys just educating myself?

Link..

My Stock E92 M3 Dyno Test Result - BimmerPost - BMW Forums
The big difference is in the torque, 350 lbs-ft for the ISF and 295 lbs-ft for the M3. That's where the 1 liter of displacement has the advantage. Supposedly BMW is very good in terms of not losing too much drivetrain hp, usually around 10%-13%.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Automatic versus manual transmission will play a role too. Manual transmission have less drivetrain loss than automatics. That said, I would hope for better than over 20% loss in the IS-F from it's rated flywheel horsepower.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Drivetrain loss on locked up automatics is negligible. It's the auto trannies that don't lock up that have a lot of slack and cause power loss. Since the IS-F's tranny is fully locked from 2nd to 8th in manual mode, not partially or even halfway, the tranny is providing direct power to the rear wheels.

The rest of the difference in power between the 2 engines can be summed up with: 1) dyno type, 2) dyno calibration, 3) test conditions, 4) test elevation, 5) engine tuning (final or prototype/test)

We already know the IS-F is marginally faster than the M3, even with the IS-F's greater weight, due in part to its healthy amounts of torque and generous gear ratio spread.

Reactions: jruhi4

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd be skeptical of any dyno numbers on the IS-F until speed shops really get to spend some time with them. 333 rwhp does not sound like enough to get 3700 pounds through the 1/4 mile traps at 112 mph. What gear did they dyno in? Isn't 6th gear the 1:1 gear on that 8-speed tranny? Wouldn't that spin a dyno to 150 mph+ which is not something a dyno shop will let you for safety reasons - no? Also, I'm sure that the newer Lexus drivelines steal less than 15% of the power at the crank.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts