Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
the manual is awesome man. i love shifting everytime. before it was broken in, i didnt like the mechanical stiffness of the shifter. now at 9k miles the shifter goes into gears naturally and smoothly.
I LOVE MY 5SP!!

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
I have 43K on my 02 and I still love it. I am getting the PLP Powerdyne S/C so I hope the 5spd can hold the 305HP I am going to have.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I am happy with mine, will be happier after the Vortech goes on. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love my 5sp. I have loaned out my IS 300 to my Parents for a littley while and have been driving a VW and I have to say. I miss my 5sp. It shifts smooth. Does not have a rubery feal, since the linkage does not have to go to the front of the car like a FWD car. I would not trade it for a Auto IS300 ever. I dont know how more people don't buy it. I drive every day to work i put 28k on it in 1 year. I know thats not that much but I can't belive people complain about having to shift in trafic. i do it every day threw rush hour.. I gues its all about choices.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Love Mines. 29,xxx and going strong. No more autos for me. :wink: Peace.

·
Registered
973 Posts
not , i was pushing stock and mines blew

on my second one now . i saw other members who are on their 3rd tran

on stock is..

The manual tranny has factory defects with 4th gear syncro.
mostly on 08/2001 productions

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love mine. No complaints except I think that my throwout bearing is starting to make noise at 15,000 miles. May have to take her in to the dealer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
jdm_altezza02 said:
how can you tell if the tranny is going out???
with the syncro problem, the gear will pop out by itseld and make a grinding sound..

like when u throw the car in 4th , boom that shit will pop out

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
No 4th-gear problem here, but I did have it replaced under warranty at 35k miles for other grinding noises.

It's mostly boost that kills them, but many people with stock still have issues. It was a defect in some trannies on '02 models. If you have an '03, you won't have issues.

·
Registered
511 Posts
mokujin101 said:
jdm_altezza02 said:
how can you tell if the tranny is going out???
with the syncro problem, the gear will pop out by itseld and make a grinding sound..

like when u throw the car in 4th , boom that sh*t will pop out
Yup it's freaky as hell because it doesn't "pop" into neutral. Just some in-between in gear and neutral state. It's pretty subtle at first. The first coupla times it happened to me I though I just didn't push it into gear hard enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kcatz said:
Is there anyone driving stick who is actually happy with their car?

Its a POS, they still can't fix it correctly, the clutch still doesn't pop back out, I press it in and down shift and the pedal sticks to the ground for like 30 seconds some times before popping back out. I always liked Lexus and Toyota but now I think I’ll have better luck with a FORD. I can't believe how brain washed the other people on this board are, I guess if my mommy bought me the car or posted on here complaining about how much of a stud I am now that I own a Lexus but can't afford the insurance then I wouldn't complain much about the POS either.

BTW, you can spot my Lexus by the big white letters on the rear window, “I OWN A LEMON”...

The lemon is for sale if anyone wants it, it’s got low miles since it’s a piece of crap?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
okwiater said:
No 4th-gear problem here, but I did have it replaced under warranty at 35k miles for other grinding noises.

It's mostly boost that kills them, but many people with stock still have issues. It was a defect in some trannies on '02 models. If you have an '03, you won't have issues.
Mine would grind too, every time I put it into fourth. It never popped out of gear like the other members of this board so thank god for that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts