Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys/gals get around during the winter season in your IS?

Do you buy cheap 16" and swap em?

Switch to 17" winter tires?
I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed...

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Originally posted by MattW:
How do you guys/gals get around during the winter season in your IS?

Do you buy cheap 16" and swap em?

Switch to 17" winter tires?
I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed...
Too many times to list, do a search for winter and/or tires and you'll wheel your way into more advice than you can use
It seems like most drivers swap for 16 inch rims, for me? I'd find winter rubber to go on the 17 inch rims. But until I get my '02
(someday) I don't have to worry about that.

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Michael ]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i place 5 (50 lb) sandbags into my trunk and drive very very carefully. VERRRRRY CAREFULLY! TRACTION SUCKS! side note...TRACTION SUCKS IN THE GS430 ASWELL with the 17 inch wheels so don't be overly dissapointed....all thought he 330i HAS GREAT TRACTION..i dunno maybe to better weight distribution? the 330xi is awesome aswell...drove it in Vermont, but that is cheating since it isn't rear wheel drive...but yeh go do a search! late!

·
Registered
55 Posts
An AWD Turbo IS300 would be nice in the winter. Lexus are you listening?

Habib isnt 250 lbs of sand overkill? I think about 100lbs should do the trick. Hey who cares anyways its summertime now! Woohoo!

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: SamirrWRX ]

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I bought mine stock w/ 16" with the intention of getting 17" aftermarket rims... never got around to it though. the stock rubber is *OK* and gets thru most snow, but I got stuck 2x during the New Years dump in Vermont (close to 2 feet in areas) and was wishing for snow tires. The car handled well, but drive traction was an issue in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Like I said before.. Habib just fudging up his ride
j/k I bought 17in Winter tires (Blizzaks) mounted on 17in Aftermarket Rims. No sand needed. Dont think you gonna runn ur IS in snow with 500lbs of sand in te trunk and have success.... that just gonna bea harder slide to recover from

1 - 7 of 7 Posts