Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy an IS on next summer.

is there years where Lexus drop LSD in IS300 ???

if i'll buy a non-lsd is what should i espect to buy to upgrade to lsd ??

1. lsd...OEM or aftermarket ones ?
2. LSD axles ??
3. ...???

PS it's been a while since i've post here, hoping to not recieve a : "do a search" again :):)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

2. LSD axles ??
3. ...???

PS it's been a while since i've post here, hoping to not recieve a : "do a search" again :):)
if i remember correctly the LSD was an option during the hole production run. i forget exactly what, someone will chime in with it, but their is a tag in the drivers door that tells you if the car came factory equiped. mine did and it was one of the major reasons i decided on this one instead of a couple of others lol

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
on point

How to tell if my IS300 has LSD?
Look at the sticker on your driver door sill/jamb, look for the area that reads "A/TM"
You'll see numbers such as B02A, B02B, B02C
A=no LSD
B,C = LSD
If you are still unsure, call 1800 25 LEXUS and ask them to look up your VIN and they can tell you what options it came equipped it from the factory.

If you bought your car second hand, there is a possibility the owner of a non-LSD IS300 swapped in a factory LSD, if this is not disclosed, it makes things a bit more challenging.
Here are pics and info on how to distinguish the two by looking at the gears;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...68#post3637468

The methods of doing a burn out and checking if there are one or two tire marks / jacking up the car and spinning the wheels are somewhat debated and I am unsure if this is a valid way of determining if your car has lsd or not.

Info on how to perform a swap; Identifying An LSD Pumpkin For IS300?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
they only come in the 2001 - 2004 models. they did not come in the 2005 models.
I think you could still get them in 05 on auto's but they phased them out for the mt5's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have an 02, and according to the sticker on my door jam i have an lsd

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the clues,

but one more question.....

if the is i'll buy is not equiped with a lsd, should i look to buy a stock lsd or should i look in the aftermarket ??

is the OEM lsd good as a aftermarket one as kaaz, quaife, etc etc ??

i'll do daily driving and weekend drag stripp !! looking to get at least 450RWHP

·
Registered
411 Posts
If your looking to make 450 hp i think the LSD is the least of your worries....go take a look in the Go faster section, M/T are only good til 350rwhp, and autos you need to upgrade Valve bodies, and what not. Stock LSD is good i had one in for a while, then switched to the Supra TT LSD, and about to pull that and drop in a TRD.

·
Registered
858 Posts
hi there hey i was looking at the LSD on my car im not sure if i have it i have a 2001 IS300 and these are the numbers maybe you can tell me
A/TM: B02C / A650E

·
Registered
615 Posts
Fritoss007;

If you have a Canadian car, which you probably do, you need to call Lexus of Canada.

Lexus of Canada number is 1-800-265-3987.

...Darren

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
hi there hey i was looking at the LSD on my car im not sure if i have it i have a 2001 IS300 and these are the numbers maybe you can tell me
A/TM: B02C / A650E
look at post 4, the letter following the B02 code indicates LSD, A = no LSD, B and C indicate LSD, you have LSD.

Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also,
I don't have said door tag. I've go two tags. One for yellow one for tire pressure and related info, and another about the air bags. The owners manual doesn't speak of it either. My burn-out test on snow makes me think I have it.

·
Registered
590 Posts

2. LSD axles ??
3. ...???

The Torsen LSD was an option on all the IS300s, except the later production date '05 5-speeds.
If you buy an IS without LSD you can buy a complete limited slip diff assy (aka, carrier or pumpkin) for about $400-$600 from a salvage yard It's a moderately easy do-it-yourself install, but you could also have it installed at a reputable repair shop for $200-$300. Unless you're going to be tracking the car, the OEM, Torsen LSD is the way to go - they're very stout units and very streetable. If you buy a 5spd IS w/o LSD, you can install the LSD from an e-shift IS for more off the line acceleration due to the slightly shorter gearing. Hope you find the IS you want and hope it's a 5-speed. If you buy an automatic, you're missing out on half the fun the car has to offer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
All 02-04s didn't come with LSD. Not sure about 01s, tho.

My 03 MT has an LSD
lol. you just cancelled yourself out there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply, i've planned almost everything for my is300...i'll do the auto to manual tranny swap for sure...i mean de supra one...will not move for the 6peeds as i'm trying to keep the cost as low as i can....i'm not really rich ! My budjet is arround 25K to 28K uncluding buying the car !

not sure about the turbo kit or the aristo swap with one gt40/45 turbo yet !

i'd like to ride the car on first year with the stock GE engine, but with the swaped tranny, then i'll have one full here to rebuild the aristo engine...

i'll do all the work by myself... should not harder than getting 325rwhp out of my 3sgte engine :):)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My door jam says it has a LSD but when I spin the rear tires, they spin in opposite directions which I think indicates an open diff right? Is there another way to see if I actually have a LSD without openig the diff up?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My IS says I have a LSD but when I peel out, only one tire mark is left?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts