Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to a light and this guy was reving his engine so I fell victim to tempation. I wasnt in to the race much considering I just got a 200 ticket from a "steak" trooper. To make a long story short the sunbitch pulled on me
?? I dont know much about this car but I did see he had an exhaust. It's a four cylinder right??
After all I didnt even floor it becuse I was so sure I would win.... ooops guess not I had the AC on, trac on, and the etc power off. Due to my nonchalance I was handed my tail on a platinum platter with an apple stuffed inside. So any info is much appreciated. Cheers!

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Just about everything on the road is faster than the IS300. Sorry to hear that you lost, but I guess you should get used to it. I will not even attempt to run anyone any more as all it means is Lexus disappointment. Other cars maybe faster, but the are not near as smooth. Smooth over everything = Lexus!!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just about everything???... That sucks I hope they make some faster ones in the future
I am trading mine in for near future models that get released hopefully they will have a tad bit more HP 215 I have realized is not enough for my taste. 250+ is nice. However I do agree the car handles superb and looks sexy as all hell I wish the road was curvy I would have loved to see how that car handled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
tha Prelude would definitely beat u quarter mile, but it would have been much closer if you had actually raced him!
Take tha AC and trac OFF, floor it, get an exhaust and intake/ecu and id assume u guyz would be neck and neck. Or just take advantage of your I6 cylinder and lead em to tha freeway
or just get a manual and shut everybodyz down...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
OK, as for a v-tech prelude, I cant say much because i sincerely dont own one, but a close friend does. He has a a 99 vtech which I have raced a couple times before. Both our cars are stock engines, considering aftermarket exhausts, but I think the prelude might be a tad faster than my IS. I have raced him from a stop light and both cars accelerate pretty quickly, from 0-40 the prelude pulls away. in 3rd gear the is catches a little. By the time you hit 85 or 90 the prelude is about half a car lenght ahead. But this maybe because im no Mario Andretti, or the fact that my is has 19" wheels with my girl in the passenger seat. My girl is small and all, but the 110 lbs kills.. HAHAHA... Hope that helps bro....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get for yourself a Turbo Kit than you should be fine.
I'm still waiting to see what other vendors out there (TRD, Area51, SRT, PowerHouse, and more.....) have to offer to IS300 owner as far as the Turbo and Supercharge kit go !!!!.
In the mean time ---> I play smart on the street, be cool (I know its hard to do, but you have to know that STOCK IS300 isn't that fast).

·
Registered
41 Posts
you may not beat a prelude on the street but im pretty sure you can own em on the freeway(with no traffic of course)

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, one thing for sure is that a stock auto is300 can outrun a stock auto prelude. but stock manual base & type-sh preludes can outrun an stock auto is easily. i think the 0-60 time for auto prelude is around early 8 sec to late 7 sec n' for manual & sh is about 6 sec, so yeah, no competiton there.. our car actually have an advantage over prelude because our peak torque comes earlier than prelude, 3800rpm vs. 5000~6000rpm i think, i'm not sure 'bout the rpm that vtec kicks in, but we get a good 1/2 sec advantage there..

·
11,061 Posts
I don't know anything about racing (
I did kill a stupid broad in a Mustang GT...but don't tell anyone) but I would look on a Prelude with a VTEC suspicously. You never know what's been done to it...and it IS a lighter vehicle and if there's a manual tranny and someone who knows how to drive it...

·
Registered
34 Posts
The type SH Prelude is in no way faster than a stock Prelude (manual). It has an identical engine. Both have only 200 hp and it comes late. VTEC kicks in at 5500 or 6000 rpm. The only difference between the SH and non-SH is that the SH has something called ATTS. This stands for active torque transfer system. Pretty much acts like an LSD except it weighs a ton. This is why the SH is slower...it weighs more. The worst part is that the ATTS does not kick in unless you are taking a corner at >65 mph. Most people that have an SH never use the ATTS.

Now if this guy has an exhaust there is a pretty good chance he has more...probably an intake, maybe a VTEC controler. Maybe cams...the list can grow.

Hope that helped everyone learn about the prelude!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just like to make 2 quick points:

1) there is no "H" after "VTEC"!!! It's an acronym, it's not short for V-Technology.

2) not flooring your car when you race? A Corolla would rip you a new "rear exit hole" if you only raced him with partial throttle (or any other car). That's not a race... a race is when things/people are going at it with a Maximum. Shoot, I'd beat a Modena if the driver was racing me at 1/4 throttle.

Dan

·
Registered
226 Posts
The SH isn't slower than the base only because of the weight... the ATTS = parasitic driveline loss.

Originally posted by P-Bear:
The type SH Prelude is in no way faster than a stock Prelude (manual). It has an identical engine. Both have only 200 hp and it comes late. VTEC kicks in at 5500 or 6000 rpm. The only difference between the SH and non-SH is that the SH has something called ATTS. This stands for active torque transfer system. Pretty much acts like an LSD except it weighs a ton. This is why the SH is slower...it weighs more. The worst part is that the ATTS does not kick in unless you are taking a corner at >65 mph. Most people that have an SH never use the ATTS.

Now if this guy has an exhaust there is a pretty good chance he has more...probably an intake, maybe a VTEC controler. Maybe cams...the list can grow.

Hope that helped everyone learn about the prelude!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I've raced three 5th gen preludes, all of them type-sh's, I've won two out three races, the one I didn't win was a friend of my cousin's. He beat me off the line and the guy had exhaust, intake, new hot cams and some other goodies and pulled me pretty good, the other two I raced when I was getting on the freeway, I smoked them both, not by very much, but I was pulling away pretty well using e-shift.

Remember, with A/C on, that pulls about 10hp from the engine, plus your girl at 110lb. will remove about 11hp, (roughly every extra 100lbs = a loss of 10hp).

This puts you at a 21hp disadvantage from how you would normally run, even though you are heavier, you have much more torque to get the extra weight moving so it should be somewhat close.

If you didn't have the extra weight, A/C off, PWR mode ON, you would run with him, if not pull on him.

P-Bear is absolutely correct about the 'Ludes and their ATTS, most don't really use it, just adds weight.

lisnup65's also correct that the IS is slow compared to a lot of cars out there, BUT much faster than the average car. Who here bought the IS for absolute speed? Not many I know of, but it is a great platform to build on since it handles and looks so damn good. Much potential! Am I right?

·
Registered
551 Posts
2001 Honda Prelude 5 speed -7.2 seconds sportshift 7.8 seconds, sportshift 0-100 20.2 seconds as tested by Car and Driver. How do you come up with 6 seconds??
well, one thing for sure is that a stock auto is300 can outrun a stock auto prelude. but stock manual base & type-sh preludes can outrun an stock auto is easily. i think the 0-60 time for auto prelude is around early 8 sec to late 7 sec n' for manual & sh is about 6 sec, so yeah, no competiton there.. our car actually have an advantage over prelude because our peak torque comes earlier than prelude, 3800rpm vs. 5000~6000rpm i think, i'm not sure 'bout the rpm that vtec kicks in, but we get a good 1/2 sec advantage there..
[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: lexluger ]

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: lexluger ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just sold my 98 Prelude w/Sportshift. And let me tell you something. If this guy pulled on you off the line, then it had to be a stick with mods. My Prelude had an HKS Intake and AEM Power Pullies with all sorts of little engine mods and I would get blown off the line by Mini-Vans. But, I have to disagree with some of you that an IS would beat a Lude on the Freeway. I cant speak for all prelude's but as far mine, it was a FREEWAY FLYER! But there's one reason I got rid of my Lude. That car along with every other Japanese compact will always be considered a Kids car and very Ricey. Especially after that Fast and Furious came out, No matter how good yours looks. I was sick of all the racing and reving at stop lights and basically outgrew the scene. When your 16-18 and doing that stuff it's cool. But at 21 and up, it's flat out embarressing. I don't know about the rest of you, but I didnt shell out close to 40k to rip apart my engine and redline it against 10th graders in Civics. The IS300 is a classy ride with a sporty look. But that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i haven't lost to any preludes yet... stock preludes are like racing a civic si...no prob.. ones with simple bolt ons give more of a challenge but im still quicker...

·
Registered
27 Posts
in response to lexluger
2001 Honda Prelude 5 speed -7.2 seconds sportshift 7.8 seconds, sportshift 0-100 20.2 seconds as tested by Car and Driver. How do you come up with 6 seconds??
haha, my bad, my friend's prelude runs 6.3 w/z mod & he has that taped, so that number got stuck in my head. however, i wouldn't doubt if a manual prelude pulls a 6.8~6.9 sec for 0~60. as for ur info found on car & driver, i dun buy that a bit, since all the ar reviews on the web are off by a lil bit. there are some reviews that claim is300 runs 0~60 in 7.5 sec & there are some juz quote lexus's 7.1sec, so which one r u gona believe?

as for Pearl*IS3*4me
My Prelude had an HKS Intake and AEM Power Pullies with all sorts of little engine mods and I would get blown off the line by Mini-Vans.
mini-van kicks ass

1 - 20 of 23 Posts