Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The IS350 is a heavy lady with a curb weight of 3527 pounds. I'd like to get some more performance out of her with some creative ideas. Moreover I want to reduce my 0-60 to the mid fours. As we all know, power to weight ratios mean a lot in regards to a vehicle's performance (take the lotus elise for example).

I'd like to see if anyone can come up with some unique ways to shed some weight off of our 350s and still retain the interior features (ie I'm not removing my nav etc). Let's set a goal for 100 lbs.

I'll start. The current wheels weigh approximately 26.5 for the rear and 26 for the front. Using the F sport wheels (20.5F and 21.5R) as a swap, I can shed approximately 21 lbs from my 350 (you could go with volks for a little more to shed if you prefer). This has an added bonus of shedding unsprung weight as well, but that's a different story.

So, we've got 79 pounds left to go. Let's hear some ideas...

·
Registered
61 Posts
carbon fiber hood should reduce the weight a little.

·
Registered
212 Posts
carbon fiber hood, trunk, lighter rotors, switch out the front seats, get headers, remove the 4 speakers on the bottom of the doors, remove spare tire. that should be enough.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
eat a little less...work out. thats a cheap solution.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Use light 17" wheels. Less unsprung weight=more agility, less rotational moment=better accelleration.

Get rid of the useless rear seat.

Empty the trunk of everything including the spare.

Buy a lightweight battery.

Only fill the gas tank to 1/2 (51 lbs less than when full)

Remove the manual and all the junk from your glove box.

Keep the winshield washer bottle 1/2 empty (4 lbs less than when full)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not attempting to rip the is350 apart. let's try to keep to keep the car as stock as possible without ripping out things like seats, stereo, etc.

I'm looking for CREATIVE ways to address some weight reduction. So far, I've got a decent list of the following mods:

1. Wheels (would anyone go with 18s over 19s for additional savings?)
2. Ceramic disc rotors that replace oem (not only will this reduce weight, but will also increase stopping performance when driven harder)
3. Light weight battery (looking for something with great performance and will not die after a couple of days from sitting. a loss of at least 10 pounds is preferred)
4. considering removing the spare tire and using fix-a-flat. i've not had experience with it though. any thoughts on this???

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Carbon fiber will certainly make your wallet lighter... you'd have to replace fairly big parts of the car to get huge weight savings though and except maybe a hood it'd be custom parts

Wheels- Absolutely I'd go 18s. In fact that's what I plan to do with mine if I ever find a nice set of lightweight 5 spoke rims that look good.

Fix-a-flat will get you home, but you won't like what it does to the TPMS sensor supposedly-
Canned Fix-a-Flat and TPMS! Bad!

AAA (or Lexus roadside) will come tow you for free though if you leave the spare at home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The IS350 is a heavy lady with a curb weight of 3527 pounds. I'd like to get some more performance out of her with some creative ideas. Moreover I want to reduce my 0-60 to the mid fours. As we all know, power to weight ratios mean a lot in regards to a vehicle's performance (take the lotus elise for example).

I'd like to see if anyone can come up with some unique ways to shed some weight off of our 350s and still retain the interior features (ie I'm not removing my nav etc). Let's set a goal for 100 lbs.

I'll start. The current wheels weigh approximately 26.5 for the rear and 26 for the front. Using the F sport wheels (20.5F and 21.5R) as a swap, I can shed approximately 21 lbs from my 350 (you could go with volks for a little more to shed if you prefer). This has an added bonus of shedding unsprung weight as well, but that's a different story.

So, we've got 79 pounds left to go. Let's hear some ideas...
Since it's rotational inertia you are probably gaining a few ponies by doing that also.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
2. Ceramic disc rotors that replace oem (not only will this reduce weight, but will also increase stopping performance when driven harder)
Not sure how realistic this is from a cost standpoint. Something like a two piece rotor would be much more realistic.

3. Light weight battery (looking for something with great performance and will not die after a couple of days from sitting. a loss of at least 10 pounds is preferred)
Odyssey PC925 (or rebranded breatherin). I LOVE this battery. From my experience, the PC650 super light weight motorcycle batt is just a bit too thin on reserves. The PC925 is really the sweet spot especially considering the ISx50 has quite a few electronic doo dads.

·
Registered
166 Posts
IS-F lotta car for a lotta money

STI - I know that the car is performance oriented, however coming from a lexus to a car with a sticker of 36k that does not have any of the following felt like taking a step back for 300 ponies and AWD. STI does not have, power seats, heated/cooled seats, auto-dimming rear veiw mirror, navi/bluetooth/voice commands, front seat leg room (THATS FRONT SEAT, we know the rear is equivilent), or a sunroof. If I was coming from a Scion, STI would be awesome, unfortunately I have been pampered by my IS for too long to go back to that level of amenity.

EVO - my fat ass dont fit! Well the ass does, the duty belt does not. And given all the brake problems Mitsubishi had with the release of the previous eclipse (three recalls within 6 months, the last of those being spontaneous failure of the brake booster assembly) I really dont feel that great about putting people I like or love in one. My personal preference.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard people talking about wheels, nobody has mentioned tires. Not alot of difference between different ones but may have a 5-10 pound total depending on what width you get, summer/winter/all season compounds and tread life expectancy. May be a spot for some research.

Another spot to shed a couple of pounds would be in some of the excess sound insulation, such as the inside liner on the under side of the trunk lid, and under the hood. Remove the pretty engine bay covering panels for a couple of pounds. Aftermarket intake would remove the huge factory set up for a savings of a couple of pounds. Depending on the materials involved an aftermarket exhaust may help a bit. If you dont use the backseats, pulling the seatbelts may not be a bad idea. I wouldnt pull the seats tho, that would look tacky imho.

·
Sofa King Awesome
3,603 Posts
IS-F lotta car for a lotta money

STI - I know that the car is performance oriented, however coming from a lexus to a car with a sticker of 36k that does not have any of the following felt like taking a step back for 300 ponies and AWD. STI does not have, power seats, heated/cooled seats, auto-dimming rear veiw mirror, navi/bluetooth/voice commands, front seat leg room (THATS FRONT SEAT, we know the rear is equivilent), or a sunroof. If I was coming from a Scion, STI would be awesome, unfortunately I have been pampered by my IS for too long to go back to that level of amenity.

EVO - my fat ass dont fit! Well the ass does, the duty belt does not. And given all the brake problems Mitsubishi had with the release of the previous eclipse (three recalls within 6 months, the last of those being spontaneous failure of the brake booster assembly) I really dont feel that great about putting people I like or love in one. My personal preference.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard people talking about wheels, nobody has mentioned tires. Not alot of difference between different ones but may have a 5-10 pound total depending on what width you get, summer/winter/all season compounds and tread life expectancy. May be a spot for some research.

Another spot to shed a couple of pounds would be in some of the excess sound insulation, such as the inside liner on the under side of the trunk lid, and under the hood. Remove the pretty engine bay covering panels for a couple of pounds. Aftermarket intake would remove the huge factory set up for a savings of a couple of pounds. Depending on the materials involved an aftermarket exhaust may help a bit. If you dont use the backseats, pulling the seatbelts may not be a bad idea. I wouldnt pull the seats tho, that would look tacky imho.
Nicely stated, thats exactly how I feel regarding those cars.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts