Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own an IS 350 and since my purchase, I've seen numerous g35 and g37's out there. I keep hearing how the G35 is top ten cars of the year, and I have not heard anything about the IS350. Anybody out there to give me a comment on the big diff between the 3, and who really comes out on top in the end...

·
Registered
599 Posts
i like my lexus but since it doesn't come with manual. I'll go with the G. always liked the G look.

·
Registered
853 Posts
^ i always loved the G35 as well as the 350z sound. its like sex on wheels

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
The main reason you hear about the G35/37 so much is not because it's a better car than the IS350... it's because the G35 gives so much at such a low cost.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You should've driven the G before buying the IS. Personally, I hate the look of the G, though it does offer better value for money. Price aside, I think the IS is a much better car.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's better. Take a look at the Caddy Escalade for example... all that money and it still has plastic wood and silver plastic in the interior

·
Registered
371 Posts
I currently own a IS300. I've driven the IS350 and owned a G35 for a year, but never drove a G37. My feelings on the G35 is cheaper interior quality (seats, dash etc), cheaper paint. I still feel the G35/G37 has a bit more grunt than the IS350 and definitely more than my IS300, but my G35 was a 6 speed manual and all the IS's I've driven were auto. The IS350 and IS300 both handle better than the G35 sedan IMO, the G35 was also harsher over bumps and felt more floaty to me. The G35 is also noticably louder than the IS350 and IS300, but that may be the fact that the IS350 has better sound proofing and a quieter motor???

Overall, you are paying the extra cash for better build quality, possibly a smoother auto transmission, and definitely better resale value on the Lexus. Also, I do think the IS300 and IS350 are more reliable in the long term (a lot of the G35s need new brakes at 15K, stick transmission is notchy, random recalls) Also, have you ever had service done at Infiniti? Lexus shows much more concern for their customers. I think gas mileage is about the same for the IS300, IS350, and G35/G37 for the auto or the stick shift when compared. I don't know if the IS350 is faster than a G, I think I would put my money on a 6 speed G37 for power and value for the money if you are buying it new. I'll just wait a few years until the G37's depreciate 50% from the original price, just like the G35s have depreciated so much.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
actually i was really disappointed in the g37.. my friend was in the market for a new car.. so after looking online and seeing all the cool features of the g37.. we went to the dealership to testdrive.. the minute i got in the car.. i noticed how cheap the interior felt compared to my is350.. handling.. i would say the is350 is more responsive and you get a better feel of the road.. only plus i would give the g37 is the way the car sounded at WOT.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I test drove both a G35 sport and an IS350 before purchasing.

The 350 had a much nicer interior, better mileage, better overall quality. It'll have better resale too if that matters.

And I didn't pay much more for it either, as I got a very good deal on the car. MSRP on the two was a lot bigger difference I admit.

The G35 also had an -incredibly- twitchy throttle... which I've talked to a few G35 owners about and they say you get used to it, but it was pretty annoying in the test drive.

The G35 had a bit bigger back seat, but that, and the fact the nav option was a bit less insanely overpriced AND offered realtime traffic, were pretty much the only things it had over the IS350.

The G37 is pretty, but it's not really any faster... they managed to add another 24 hp to it, but it's also heavier than the IS350 and actually makes -less- torque... and loses one of the only G advantages, the larger rear seat, while retaining all the drawbacks (lower reliability, lower residual value, lower interior quality, etc).

The G isn't a bad car by any definition at all, but comparing the G35 to the IS350 it wasn't really that hard a decision for me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
For the last two months I have had a 2008 Maxima SE with CVT transmission as a rental while in Chicago for training every couple weeks. I find the CVT transmission is extremely smooth compared to the automatic G35s I have driven. I don't know if you can really compare the two being one is FWD and one is RWD but damn, the Maxima is quite the car for what it is. Its very quick with the CVT and I can't feel it shift at all. I also think the Maxima is a bit faster than my IS300, I was very suprised. Dare I say I like the Maxima auto/cvt more than my old G35? I was rolling at 25 mpg and gunned the gas pedal and I kid you not, the car spun the tires with the traction control off! And 25 mpg in the city of Chicago in February is another eye opener. My IS300 doesn't get that unless I am driving mostly highway. I just have to avoid potholes at all cost with the 18 inch wheels that come stock on the Maxima.

Still, sure beats a Chevy Impala as a rental. LOL.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm very happy with my G37. Very quick and responsive and the exhaust note is just amazing. I personally love the new G's interior (a vast improvement over the G35) though it isn't quite as luxurious as the IS. For me it came down to price and availability of a 6MT......

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
For the last two months I have had a 2008 Maxima SE with CVT transmission as a rental while in Chicago for training every couple weeks. I find the CVT transmission is extremely smooth compared to the automatic G35s I have driven. I don't know if you can really compare the two being one is FWD and one is RWD but damn, the Maxima is quite the car for what it is. Its very quick with the CVT and I can't feel it shift at all. I also think the Maxima is a bit faster than my IS300, I was very suprised. Dare I say I like the Maxima auto/cvt more than my old G35? I was rolling at 25 mpg and gunned the gas pedal and I kid you not, the car spun the tires with the traction control off! And 25 mpg in the city of Chicago in February is another eye opener. My IS300 doesn't get that unless I am driving mostly highway. I just have to avoid potholes at all cost with the 18 inch wheels that come stock on the Maxima.

Still, sure beats a Chevy Impala as a rental. LOL.
I also had a Nissan Maxima rental car. I really like the power it had... but I'm surprised you say you like it more than the G35. The Maxima is nowhere near as nimble as the G35 due to its size. It also torque steers violently. The turning radius is also horrendous. There were some times in parking lots where I'd have to try three times to get into a parking spot. These are the same spots I'd just zip into at full speed in the IS300... and probably would be the same way with the G35.

But I know what you were talking about in regards to burn outs. Maxima's can do burnouts EASILY! :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts