Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my is300 back in March 2001, it pulled to the right. I thought that it was an alignment problem. I took it in, and Lexus couldn't fix it. They had my car for 4 days and the problem still existed. (hold on, the race does come, I am telling the pre-existing situation)

Since I never test drove the white is that I ended up getting, (due to the fact that I test drove a silver one, but decided on the white when they put both side by side) They decided to give me a brand new one as I wasn't happy at all. (I had to get pissed off a little with the general manager and service tech before they finally agreed to give me a new one).

Lexus asked me if I would like to keep the current is300 until one w/o an alignment problem would be in. Well ya!!! I asked what would be done with it as they cannot fix the problem. They said that it would be a loan car for special customers.

The next day my work had a group lunch. We were to meet a Chili's. On the way there, I pulled up to a light blue/or green Mustang (seemed to be a new car,I think it was the 4.6) He had a girlfriend in the passenger side and was going to try to show off. Since the is300 was a loan car, and I was pretty stressed out at the whole alignment situation I was ready to take out the aggression...

Tip tronics on, ect power on... Light turned green, (I don't know if I got a slight jump or what) and I dropped the hammer, hit the red line as fast as possible through each gear, and was able to keep about 3/4 of a car length ahead untill we had to stop at the next light. He nodded like, "Wow, you took me". It felt real good... the is 300 only had about 70 miles on it.

No problem with the new is300.. love it No mods yet but look to get intake/and exhaust.

vmj007
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Good for you. I'm glad to see that people on this forum can show some larger displacement engins a thing or two...

Its nice to see an is3 driver putting up a kill story or close to it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
to play devils advocate, are you sure it wasn't a poser, with a 6 cylinder and the dual exhaust that they sell to make it look like an 8 ? what year was it, the newer or older (but pretty similiar) body style ? did it have cut outs for the dual exhaust or not?

anyways, a win is a win, good job!

-gte
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
IS300GTE said:
to play devils advocate, are you sure it wasn't a poser, with a 6 cylinder and the dual exhaust that they sell to make it look like an 8 ? what year was it, the newer or older (but pretty similiar) body style ? did it have cut outs for the dual exhaust or not?

anyways, a win is a win, good job!

-gte
It HAD to be a older one... like a 96-98 GT. They only had 215HP. Their 0-60mph times and quarter mile times are very close to a IS300.

SO.... I WON'T call bs on this one... unless you say it was a 99+ GT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looked to be somewhat new. Maybe it was a 6 as one response stated, but it still felt good. I don't remember if I saw a dual exhaust, I was ahead of it by half a car length, ha ha..

vmj007
 

·
Legacy Mod
Joined
·
6,093 Posts
Actually having dealt with a few 99+ 4.6 Stangs, I have to say the first time I beat one like that I full on thought I would lose, I just wanted to see how well I did. Its weird I’ve raced 6 GT's (they where all M/T except one) and only three of them beat me. the ones that did stomped me good, the ones that didn't seemed very weak for a GT, I know they were not made up 6 cylinders because they were too fast when they came up quick then dropped off like they lost power, but they where no where near as fast as the three that beat me.

And you know it only seems to be Stangs that suck like this, you don't see Z28’s that are that weak compared to the next one. I’ve been stomped by every Z28 that has played with me except one and I’m sure it was the driver that time and possible a maintenance issue looked like probably a 93 and run down a bit...

At any rate, Stang kills don't surprise me at all anymore, I’ve seen to much variation on power strait from the factory...


Black RSX said:
IS300GTE said:
to play devils advocate, are you sure it wasn't a poser, with a 6 cylinder and the dual exhaust that they sell to make it look like an 8 ? what year was it, the newer or older (but pretty similiar) body style ? did it have cut outs for the dual exhaust or not?

anyways, a win is a win, good job!

-gte
It HAD to be a older one... like a 96-98 GT. They only had 215HP. Their 0-60mph times and quarter mile times are very close to a IS300.

SO.... I WON'T call bs on this one... unless you say it was a 99+ GT.
 

·
Legacy Mod
Joined
·
6,093 Posts
I have some pics for you to browse, check out my In-laws Celica GTS (your Arch rival), and I think everyone here will be happy to know he no longer has that rice ass black wing and went totally clean now with no wing. LOL he now get raced at every light everyone thinks he’s a GT :lol:

In-laws Celica GTS

Black RSX said:
vmj007 said:
To Black rsx,

Just checked out your pics, nice rsx.

vmj007
Thanks.... 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
CarbonIS300 said:
I have some pics for you to browse, check out my In-laws Celica GTS (your Arch rival), and I think everyone here will be happy to know he no longer has that rice ass black wing and went totally clean now with no wing. LOL he now get raced at every light everyone thinks he’s a GT .
Nice car... Not a big fan of the Celica though...

I have a bunch of "ricer" buddies... that bought them... then all of them but one then sold them a year or less later...
 

·
Legacy Mod
Joined
·
6,093 Posts
He has a new motor in his, built by the lead tech at Toyota Japan (For free), because he had his car serviced by Toyota of El Cajon and that night his motor blew, at any rate the thing is much faster then the other GTS, after he broke in the new motor he raced an S2000 both had passengers and broke the s2k off. But I know what you mean some of the newer 01 and 02 models where not fast at all, because Toyota moved the Rev limiter down to 8200 RPM and his is at like 8700 RPM.

Black RSX said:
Nice car... Not a big fan of the Celica though...

I have a bunch of "ricer" buddies... that bought them... then all of them but one then sold them a year or less later...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
I had a weak 97 GT m/t. I'm telling you that I would slightly pull on cars that I should have straight up walked. The only performance mods I had were K&N and Flowmaster 3-chambers on the stock pipes. Let's assume that the two combined gave me 5 extra HP putting the total at 220. I have a IS now rated at 215, with a intake (I'll figure lose 1 HP for the sake of discussion) and a Hiper (let's say 5 HP to lowball). So on my car now figuring 219 at the flywheel felt much faster than my last car. I know my IS could have beat my old GT without a problem, and this is in my E-Shift. I broke it in propery, and had it since it was new so I really think there are just big discrepencies in the domestic motors coming from the factory. I remember there being a big thread on LS1.com a long time ago about all the different numbers people were getting when the new motor was released. I know that some come down to driver but you never know. I guess you can see it in any car (look at Jedi's dyno sheets), but it really plays a bigger role guys who race a lot (Mustangs, LS1's, etc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
You know I was just checking out this club when I saw this post if hes saying he beat a 99+ mustang im calling bs on that one. Theres just no way its possibe unless you have some decent mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
The only way you beat him was if it was a 6 or the guy couldn't drive to save his life.
But anything can happen in the street. :D
 

·
Legacy Mod
Joined
·
6,093 Posts
You know i would think so too but where i live there is a 99+ Stang on almost every corner. and the one thing i know is there is no way in hell a 6 is going to sound as sweet as the 4.6, ive been working on cars long enough to know the diffrence. So i'm sure they where all 4.6's but like i said the ones that beat me really wailed on me the ones that didn't where much to fast to be 6 as i can walk a 6 very easily even when they have I/E/H with the mods currently on my car, the only posibility is they some how made there cars sounds just like the V8 and were Juicing as well but then i suspect i would probably lose... :-?

BluStang said:
You know I was just checking out this club when I saw this post if hes saying he beat a 99+ mustang im calling bs on that one. Theres just no way its possibe unless you have some decent mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Notice carbons sig says hes modded if your modded then you can catch a mustang or beat one depending on how its modded. But the other guy said hes stock a stock IS300 runs about 15.4 the 99+ mustang runs around 14.4 thats a full second difference even if it was a auto mustang (the auto transmision sucks on mustangs) those still do high 14's. Lets say for the sake of argument that it was pre 99 mustang those are still around .4 seconds faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
BluStang said:
Notice carbons sig says hes modded if your modded then you can catch a mustang or beat one depending on how its modded. But the other guy said hes stock a stock IS300 runs about 15.4 the 99+ mustang runs around 14.4 thats a full second difference even if it was a auto mustang (the auto transmision sucks on mustangs) those still do high 14's. Lets say for the sake of argument that it was pre 99 mustang those are still around .4 seconds faster.
Don't gimee this crap.. the 4r70w (99+ mustang auto tranny) is a VERY good tranny.. this has been argued countless times.. With minor modifications (jerry mod, torque stall converter, etc) it will be bullit proof up to around 450rwhp or more, and run pretty much consistantly faster than a manual.. and i dont know what auto GT's you are seeing run HIGH 14s.. jeez.. i know PLENTY of guys with 99+ GT's (autos) running LOW 14s, STOCK w/ an auto.. 14.0, 14.1, 14.2, etc.. other guys with minor mods to the engine/ tranny / 4.10s, whatever are running well into the mid 13s... anyways, no that we have that outta the way ;)... (if you couldnt tell i own a 2000 GT, auto)


My girlfriend drives a 2002 IS300, and i drive a 2000 Mustang GT... i drive her car regularly.. now granted my car has some mods.. i can say honestly, stock for stock.. my AUTO GT, would beat the piss out of her IS300... Don't get me wrong, i love her car, and its fun as hell to drive.. but it simply does not have anywhere NEAR the power of my GT.. lets not forget 99+ GT's BONE STOCK dyno around 275-285 RWTQ on a regular basis... whats the wheel spec for torque on the IS300s, stock?

anyways, point of my speech is that somethings up with that story.. a stock IS300, will not take a stock 99+ (96-98 is another story, they suck, haha)..

I lurk on here sometimes, and have respect for you guys, and your cars.. But lets be real, a 99+ Mustang GT is a low 14 second car (even high 13 second)... the IS300 is a low 15second or high 14second car.. those are just the facts... Even my girlfriend (who drives like a mad woman, haha) will admit that my car is MUCH faster than hers.. :lol:


Take it easy guys, see yah on the streets! :)

-Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Oh the auto is quite slow youve gotta mod it to get something out of it I drive a bullitt i know mustangs are faster then that im just lowballing and giving him the benefit of the doubt because even bad drivers could come up with those times i listed for the stang if you line up with your stock auto against a stock 5 speed you will get beat unless the other guy cant drive the auto trany on stangs is slow your proving my point by saying a modded auto trany mustang can keep up with a stock 5 speed.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
11 Participants
Dernick
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top