Price - MB win
Engine - MB supercharged engine is responsive
Lexus is quieter
Assesory Features - MB

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think the 320 is a fine vehicle, and wouldn't mind having one for some of my longer travels.

How do you give price to the MB though?

·
11,061 Posts
Depends how long you want to keep it. For the long haul...my money's on the Lex. Seen the cost of long term maintenance on those MBs? OUCH.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by SilverLex:
I think the 320 is a fine vehicle, and wouldn't mind having one for some of my longer travels.

How do you give price to the MB though?
Because he said the 230, not the 320.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I thought all scheduled maintenance on new MBs was free for the car's warranty period. Wouldn't that tip the "maintenance" to Mercedes? By the way, look for Lexus to offer this in the not-too-distant future; they'll have to.
A point - when buying the smallest engine available (the 230), remember resale will be reduced. Most people will opt for the 320. The C-Class is a nice lookin' car, though. I like how Mercedes is unifying the design of their cars across all model lines.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Leader:
By the way, look for Lexus to offer this in the not-too-distant future; they'll have to.
That's my one biggest gripe with Lexus at this point. That and it's a losing point in the BMW vs. Lexus conversations my brother and I have.

Hell, I'd settle for a pre-paid maintenance option like I got on our Land Rover. $400 paid for all scheduled maintenance for the first three years.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
That's my one biggest gripe with Lexus at this point...
Hell, I'd settle for a pre-paid maintenance option like I got on our Land Rover. $400 paid for all scheduled maintenance for the first three years.
One-by-one, the "luxury" manufacturers have included free scheduled maintenance in the prices of their new cars. Lexus is getting to be the lone "holdout." I think for the usual Lexus-buying demographic (not necessarily the younger IS buyers) free scheduled maintenance is a major plus. I predict Lexus will get in the game starting with the 2003 lineup. If they wait much longer, I'd be surprised and disappointed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't think the c-coupe is that ugly...
My only gripe about it is the weight. I think it's a little too heavy for a coupe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
For the C-coupe, the 230 (kompressor) is the only engine available.

the 2.6l from the C240 and 3.2l from the C320 is not available in the coupe.

In this class of car, I think I'd rather get the RSX Type S... that's just me though.

Originally posted by Leader:
I thought all scheduled maintenance on new MBs was free for the car's warranty period. Wouldn't that tip the "maintenance" to Mercedes? By the way, look for Lexus to offer this in the not-too-distant future; they'll have to.
A point - when buying the smallest engine available (the 230), remember resale will be reduced. Most people will opt for the 320. The C-Class is a nice lookin' car, though. I like how Mercedes is unifying the design of their cars across all model lines.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In no way, cause I didn't say the RSX-s was better. I said I would buy it over the C. No car is "better"... people should just buy the one they like.

Originally posted by jandu:
In what way is the RSX S better, other than 0-60 and $$$. Can you be a bit more specific.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I test drove the C230, really nice ride, much more luxury then the IS3. But as far as performance goes, I thought the C230 was WAY solwer then the IS300, and it handled well but no where near the level of the IS3 or the 3 series Bimmer. I have to admit the MB is a sweet luxury car and I think it is def. the most prestigious one in its class but when you add in all the options that you get standard on the IS3, the MB performance does not live up to its price. IMO

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
About the issue of "free" maintenance...

Remember, you have to read the fine print. It's free scheduled maintenance, and it's only good for a certain time period-- something like the length of the warranty period. Dealers make most of their money in the service department (we all know that), so notice there are all these little limitations for the "free" maintenance.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree with JW. If you will look at the maintenance log of your IS300 (or probably for any late model cars) the maintenance only involves changing the oil, and some other fluids (ie. transmission, brake, etc.) but I may be wrong. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that these are minor things that some of us if not most can do by ourselves. After the warranty period, that's where you have to decide which car will require more maintenance and replacement parts.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
Remember, you have to read the fine print. It's free scheduled maintenance, and it's only good for a certain time period-- something like the length of the warranty period...
I wasn't referring to anything other than scheduled maintenance... But while we're on the subject, what about BMW's new included maintenance where all you pay for during warranty is tires?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts