Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I do not currently own any lexus but am watching this forum for ideas.

I currently feel in love with my X's 98 GS 400, and have drooled over owning one for some time. I'm currently in a Dental Program @ my school so it would be some time yet. But I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the GS 300.

I know the Is and GS300 have the same engines. But for the price of a new IS I could get a recently newer used GS 300 with really low miles.

Input and thoughts?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
We have both cars at home, the IS300 is mine and the GS300 is my dad's. The biggest difference you will see between the two cars is the comfort level. GS300 is build so the driver can relax as much as possible, and everything is easily within reach. That is my one little complain about IS where some stereo buttons could be hard to reach if you sit a further back. That is not a problem at all in the GS. Also, the GS's seat is alot softer and you sit higher, which I don't like.
As far performance wise, GS gives you a very very smooth acceleration and shifting, something IS300 is not. IS will let you know when it is shifting and how fast you are accelerating by some subtle hints (no jerking or anything). One big performance difference is cornering. With IS you will feel very nimble and easily goes around curves and turns, but with GS, you will definitely feel the weight.
As many says, it depends on what you want. If you want a car that you can relax and cruise around, GS is the one to get. If you want a car with some characters and don't mind the stiffer ride, than the IS is the one to go for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm not sure what I'm exactly looking for yet. I do own a 90 Nissan 300zx stage 4 with more goodies then a kid on halloween! And don't get me wrong, I love the car to death!!! But I hate driving it on a daily basis. I'm looking for something to relax and drive in, something that will make me @ peace. hehe
sounds like the GS is for me

·
Registered
133 Posts
no brainer, go with the IS. The GS300, in my opinion, isn't even close to being considered an eye catcher. The GS400, yes, but not the 300. Anyway, the ride of the IS is smooth, probably not as good as the GS300, but the difference is pretty small. Read the posts and hear what people are saying about other people's reaction when they see an IS. They see a GS300 and no big deal, but they see an IS300 and it's a different story.
Plus, since the IS is lighter, it's faster, corners better, has a better sound system, etc. Need I continue?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I think you really have to test drive both cars to figure out what you want and which car can give it to you. Nothing helps you decide quite like actually feeling the differences. Good Luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the exact same debate you did before I got my car. I agree with Daniel completely. In summary IS300 is smaller and more agile. I went with the IS in the end because GS seemed a little out of my age group, I'm 22. I figured I'll just get a GS400 when I'm 30.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by GKL68:
I had the exact same debate you did before I got my car. I agree with Daniel completely. In summary IS300 is smaller and more agile. I went with the IS in the end because GS seemed a little out of my age group, I'm 22. I figured I'll just get a GS400 when I'm 30.
F-U!!!
Just kidding. I am 35 and I am not ready for the GS yet! Actually, the IS was a compromise car for me. I couldn't see getting a two seater without also getting a 2nd new car for my wife, and I am not big on debt, especially for a depreciating asset. Anyway, looking for luxury, go with the GS & keep your Z for fun. If you are looking to replace the Z, you might want to go with the IS because it is a good balance of lux and sport. Just my thoughts.
Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm currently in a Dental Program @ my school so it would be some time yet. But I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the GS 300.

I know the Is and GS300 have the same engines. But for the price of a new IS I could get a recently newer used GS 300 with really low miles.

Really ur in a Dental Program. What year r u in? I am a practicing dentist, in Calif. What made u decide to go into this career?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'll keep it short.
although few frineds tease me that i look like a highschool kid driving the IS, and they call it 'nice souped-up accord', i traded in my '99 G3 and got the IS.
the IS is definitely more sporty, but my G3 was also quite an eye-catcher with 18' rims, exhaust, limo tint, etc. etc.
if you wanna look like a guy with some dough and a phat cruizer, get the GS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mike-

i'm having the same dilemma. i'll be going to dental school next fall and can not decide on what car would suit me best.

civic sir-
where did you graduate from?

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Why would you buy a used car for $30,000? I was gonna buy a 98 GS300 then i found the IS300 in the rumor mills. I never regretted it at all. Im 6ft tall and 190lbs and I fit comfy in my IS. Everything is in perfect reach. Being picky about certain things is just being anal. The IS drives great. Im sure the GS300 is roomier and a wider stance rear seating is much better. I wouldnt buy a used car for that much $$$. Maybe you should Private Message "Ted921" He is a member here that we hang with on the East Coast and he has a phat azz GS300. He could give you a good perspective seeing that he is a tall guy and an actual owner.

Good Luck. Rich.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
DonCorleone
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing