Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted before, in August I will be purchasing a new vehicle. Obviously the is 300, is at the top of my list however i really do like the grand cherokee limiteds also. I like the fact of having plenty of cargo room with some good pickup. For all you car buffs out there, do you know when the new body style will be out for those, since they changed it a couple of years ago. Also, for any of you that have had that car can you give me some feedback on it. PLEASE DO NOT RIP ME A NEW ONE FOR POSTING THIS BECAUSE I KNOW MANY OF YOU DO NOT LIKE AMERICAN CARS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,635 Posts
seriously dude, go with the lex. I know i'm biased b/c I own one, but the Jeep is built like a tin can w/ wheels slapped on the side. It's a real POS and don't know one person who owned it that was really happy with it. It's a mystery to me why it sells so well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
I dont want to be an a$$ so I will try to say this politely - "How can you compare the two?" Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not trying to compare the two at all. I just wanted a little feedback from previous owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
couldn't have said it any better....do you want a decent car, or something less than decent with all kinds of problems, including major transmission problems.

Originally posted by gabe:
I dont want to be an a$$ so I will try to say this politely - "How can you compare the two?" Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Definitely two different animals. As an owner of a lifted and modded '94 Jeep GC and a new owner of an IS300 you can't compare the two.

If you wanna compare the Jeep to other SUV's it's one of the best out of the box off-roading SUV's out there with litterally thousands of aftermarket parts for the engine, body, suspension and exhaust.

Jeeps definitely aren't the most maintenance free SUV's out there but its a trade off, if you want something that you only need slight modifications to make it a very trail ready SUV Jeep is the one. If you're never gonna go take it on anything more than gravel roads then any of the imports will be do better when it comes to reliability.

Check out wwww.jeepsunlimited.com , they have an excellent and very active forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Ever thought of a wagon if you need cargo room. There will be an IS wagon. or there is always the BMW 325iT. Both will handle much better than a jeep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
well as a jeep owner (and buying an IS300) this week) I have to say it just comes down to what you like and what you wanna do. I had fun with my jeep and won many shows with it but not really into that kinda thing anymore so its up for sale now. Grand cherokees are nice vechicles. Mine is being featured over @ minitrux.com and is up for auction on ebay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Originally posted by GCM:
Definitely two different animals. As an owner of a lifted and modded '94 Jeep GC and a new owner of an IS300 you can't compare the two.

If you wanna compare the Jeep to other SUV's it's one of the best out of the box off-roading SUV's out there with litterally thousands of aftermarket parts for the engine, body, suspension and exhaust.

Jeeps definitely aren't the most maintenance free SUV's out there but its a trade off, if you want something that you only need slight modifications to make it a very trail ready SUV Jeep is the one. If you're never gonna go take it on anything more than gravel roads then any of the imports will be do better when it comes to reliability.

Check out wwww.jeepsunlimited.com , they have an excellent and very active forum.
wtf you talking about? Jeep are the pice of $hit comparing to X5 ,ML ore RX300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
The Jeep takes them all when it comes to offroad and trail capability. Thats what I meant when I said they're the best out of the box when it comes to that.

A Jeep GC with a 4" lift 32" tires and locked axles can take the Rubicon. Something you can't do with the street SUV's that you mentioned.

Maybe we're comparing oranges to apples?

Are you just talking about taking an SUV and slamming it on 20's and dropping it for a cool looking and fast grocery getter?

Originally posted by glex:
wtf you talking about? Jeep are the pice of $hit comparing to X5 ,ML ore RX300
null
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Check out Edmunds.com. Go to Town Hall forums, and find Grand Cherokee under SUV's (I think). The recent models seem to have a disproportional amount of problems compared to those in the past. I think the residual values have dropped significantly also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
yea i was talkig about grocery getter cuz if i pay around $40k for SUV i expect have a quality car ,it dosent metter if you want to LIFT the car are DROP it on 20" last thing you want to do is spending your time at the dealer claming you warranty ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I think in general domestic SUV's still have a long way to go when it comes to QC and reliability issues compared to the import SUV's.

I don't think Jeeps are no worse than Explorers or Blazers when it comes to reliability.

If your really interested in the Jeep check the forum at jeepsunlimited.com the forum there is VERY active and helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Originally posted by GCM:
I think in general domestic SUV's still have a long way to go when it comes to QC and reliability issues compared to the import SUV's.

I don't think Jeeps are no worse than Explorers or Blazers when it comes to reliability.

If your really interested in the Jeep check the forum at jeepsunlimited.com the forum there is VERY active and helpful.

i agree !in from domestics SUV's I whould maybe consider cherokee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Had a 99 Cherokee Laredo (an inline 6, not a V8 as in Limited). Within less than two years had constant electrical and transmission problems. All fixed under warranty, but what a pain in the as$! Bought it for $27k back towards the end of 98, traded it in for an IS two years later for the value of $15k… You do the math.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
Had a 99 Cherokee Laredo (an inline 6, not a V8 as in Limited). Within less than two years had constant electrical and transmission problems. All fixed under warranty, but what a pain in the as$! Bought it for $27k back towards the end of 98, traded it in for an IS two years later for the value of $15k… You do the math.
i bot Ford Expedition 1998 with 19k miles on it for $24k trade in 8 month latter for $17k plus i spend another 3k for upgrades...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I had a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and I must say that they are TOUGH, in terms of structure. My Father drove over a center divider of a local street at 45km/h, bang on the undercarriage so hard, you would swear you got hit by a hammer in the A$$. But after some inspection, there are virtually no structural dmg(besides come scratches and a minor bend on the underbody protection panel for transfer case). However, there are TONS of small problems after the third year of ownership. Even up 'til I traded the car in, A/C wan't fixed(went to dealer countless times just for it, still no fix).

If you really need the room, and need to tow stuffs, Jeep is for you, and it's TOUGH to beat when off-roading in luxury. Otherwise, go with IS300.

Andy Kuo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Definately the IS!!! My friend has the new jeep grand cherokee limited and he's let me drive it around the block a few times in return for letting him drive my IS. And let me tell you this, the cherokee SUX compared to the IS (no offense to any owners or appreciators of the cherokee). The IS handles a lot better and is a lot more fun to drive. But stick with whatever you like, i'm not disrespecting. That's my 2 cents.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top