Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife says I'm crazy, but now that my IS has about 2400 miles on it, the darn thing "feels" faster to me. It may be a combination of break in and me just being more familiar with the car (like squeezing instead of punching the gas pedal).

No matter what, I'm still enjoying the car and wish I had more time to keep the darn thing clean!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think you're dreaming. On our Jeep, after about 4000 miles it just started to come alive. Before that it felt strong but not particularly powerful. Now it feels like the V8 it is (a V8 which matches the 0-60 time of the IS300, by the way)!

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey what is the normal break in period? I saw it in the manual but different people say different things. I have 750 miles on mine and I am just dying to open it up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, I feel my IS faster and smoother as well after the break-in period. According to the Lexus IS manual, the break-in period is 1000 miles or 1600 Km but I guess it also depends on the mix of traffic you have. For myself, I did go to highway for a few times which I couldn't avoid and so I don't think my car actually passes the break-in period though there is already 1900Km on it.

I am getting to like the ECT button.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think your crazy at all. I've got roughly 2700 miles on my IS and I would have to say it feels quicker than when I first got it. It to me feels much smoother through the power band and seems to run even smoother than when it was new.

It took some getting used to being behind the wheel of an automatic. I've always driven a stick. I love the flexibility of the eshift, and once you learn the shift points of the automatic you can really drive this car with power, without stomping on it and forcing it to downshift.

Enough rambling already, CiscoGuy, your wife is going to think we are all crazy!

Side note Spectra Blue. I drove a V8 Cherokee for the weekend a while back, the think is definitely a little rocket when you need it, but I swear you see the gas gauge drop when you really get on it.

[This message has been edited by toofaust (edited August 29, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
got mine July 1st now it just passed the 3333 mark a few days ago...love turning the ect button on and the trac off and launching off a straight line...tires squealing a little too much even with trac on and ect off...this thing definately drives way better now that it has learned my driving habits.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by DonCorleone:
got mine July 1st now it just passed the 3333 mark a few days ago...love turning the ect button on and the trac off and launching off a straight line...tires squealing a little too much even with trac on and ect off...this thing definately drives way better now that it has learned my driving habits.
i don't think the car learned your driving habits as much as you learned how to drive the car... =P

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
no power braking or anything like that, just a little too aggressive i guess, i was in a toyota 4runner beofre and u gotta be careful since they can tip easy...but in the IS u can drive a little on the aggressive side...maybe my tires are worn out or i need to rotate my tires but i can get her to squeal quite easily...
BTW i got the bridgestone potenzas
and yeah...i think i learned to drive this car the way it was meant to be driven...oh yeah i did some drifting today and a couple of semi donuts...errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!

·
Registered
626 Posts
My IS has a little over 500 miles. Although the majority of the time I have kept it under 80 and 4k rpm, I have had a little fun with it.

I was told by the dealer to drive the car the way I intend to drive and not baby it during the first 1k. I guess I am doing a little of both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hard to resist not flooring it...the only time I was able to do it was on the test drive...I pity who bought the demo. Thanks for all your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts