Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

New to the forums here everyone! I've recently picked up my new IS 250 AWD, and I was wondering how I set the center circle to change colours at a certain RPM or speed while driving. I've seen it in some youtube videos, where the middle of the circle will change to an orange colour.

Also, I'm not quite sure what HID bulbs I would need to acquire that would work well with my ride. I've seen someone on the forums offering HIDS from 6k to 8k on the forums for 120 or so? How do I know which ones will work on my car..?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
the red light is a shift light. you dont set it unless your ride is heavily modded (engine wise). since you got an AWD, im assuming its an automatic and you dont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the red light is a shift light. you dont set it unless your ride is heavily modded (engine wise). since you got an AWD, im assuming its an automatic and you dont have to worry about it.
I feel stupider having read this:suspiciou

Original Fake; Read your owners manual, you can adjust when the indicator lights come on for both speed and RPM- doesn't matter it you have an auto or manual shift.

As for the lights, read your owners manual to find out what the bulb type is, do you have factory hids? the higher the candle power determines the color output, generally the 6k to 8k range have the best light output. HIDDepot has a good chart that shows the bulbs needed for the IS and the light output for different hid bulbs

·
Registered
703 Posts
I feel stupider having read this:suspiciou

Original Fake; Read your owners manual, you can adjust when the indicator lights come on for both speed and RPM- doesn't matter it you have an auto or manual shift.

As for the lights, read your owners manual to find out what the bulb type is, do you have factory hids? the higher the candle power determines the color output, generally the 6k to 8k range have the best light output. HIDDepot has a good chart that shows the bulbs needed for the IS and the light output for different hid bulbs
not sure how detailed the owners manual is going to get w/ the bulb size in something like the dash

May have to just pull and do it yourself trial and error type deal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually gone through the manual briefly and wasn't able to find information about the gauge colour changing.

I did not get any package for my IS 250 AWD, thus I have the factory base ugly looking yellow bulbs. That's why I wanted to find out some facts about replacing the bulbs with after market HIDs on the forums.

Can anyone tell me the page which talks about the indicator in the manual? Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, jumped in the car quickly and figured out the gauge colour changing. I read in the manual that if you set the maximum speed, the gauge will only turn red? Will it turn to yellow and orange before what I set my maximum to? Maximum speed should be what I placed the needle at when I set the indicator right? If anyone could clear this up for me that'd be awesome, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
The K number is the color temperature, stock is 4300k, the higher the color temperature (6000k, 8000k or even higher, these are those blue aftermarket ones you see) the less usable light output.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The K number is the color temperature, stock is 4300k, the higher the color temperature (6000k, 8000k or even higher, these are those blue aftermarket ones you see) the less usable light output.
That's nice and simple for me to understand. Well I guess I'm running the stock 4300k's at the moment. If I were to purchase any of the ones mentioned above (6000k, or 8000k) would they be the right fit into my current socket? Would the electrical flow to the bulb be the right amount of volts.

Also, where could I find these HID bulbs locally in Vancouver by any chance.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
That's nice and simple for me to understand. Well I guess I'm running the stock 4300k's at the moment. If I were to purchase any of the ones mentioned above (6000k, or 8000k) would they be the right fit into my current socket? Would the electrical flow to the bulb be the right amount of volts.

Also, where could I find these HID bulbs locally in Vancouver by any chance.

Thanks for your help guys.
Sounds like you don't have HID stock headlights. If that's true then you'll need a H11HID kit and install it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I have the stock 4300k bulbs, which are the unattractive yellow colour. So to clear things up, I wouldn't be able to just buy 6000k or 8000k bulbs, place them in my current setup and get it to work properly.

I would need a kit to convert my setup to run HID bulbs, correct? How much do these kits run for, and could I be able to do this at home, or how much would it cost if I were to take it to the shop and let them do it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Yep, I have the stock 4300k bulbs, which are the unattractive yellow colour. So to clear things up, I wouldn't be able to just buy 6000k or 8000k bulbs, place them in my current setup and get it to work properly.

I would need a kit to convert my setup to run HID bulbs, correct? How much do these kits run for, and could I be able to do this at home, or how much would it cost if I were to take it to the shop and let them do it.

Thanks.
Lots of people here changed over to HID with kits. It's pretty easy. Read up in the IS350 threads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I ask how much these kits usually run for? Is it better to just put 6000k, with the lower heat it produces, or go with the 8000k for the more blueish colour.

Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
ok.. to make things real simple.. 1st question... your gauge only changes 1 of 2 colors... orange and red... theres no yellow, no green or purple or any other color. the car is preset to turn red when you hit 100 mph. anything before that you can set. the controls are over by your trunk and gas cap release... theres a circle button in the middle and 2 buttons on each side of it.. same applys for the tachmeter also.
2nd question... if you have factory HID... just buy d4s replacement bulbs to whichever kelvin you prefer... factory is around 4300k... if you want nice whitish blue.. go 6000k... if you want more of a bluish look.. go 8000k.. if you want a bluish purple look.. go 10,000k. just a word of advice... the higher you go the less visibility you have... especially when its raining.

MTEC HIDs are nice and good quality... but installation is a bit harder.. they need a power source and ground line... some of the newer HID kits are just PnP. very simple. make sure you mount the ballast securely.. dont put it in a place where itll rattle around (shortens the life span of the ballast).

hope this helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
MTEC's have the plug and play wiring option.
really? didnt know that.. the last set of MTECs i saw needed power source and ground wire.. maybe they upgraded it.. cool. thanks for the new info.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The true Japanese ones from Mtecpower plug right in. Of course you have to cut holes in the headlight rear covers to get at the plugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts