Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you feel is better and why?

I am interested in the IS250 because of the AWD, But the 350 seems to have alot more HP, So im trying to decide what i want to get, I currently have an 02 IS300. I love my grade but i think i am going to upgrade come summer time. any input would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a 250 awd because I live in area with winter climate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
depends on your climate. I live in central KY and we rarely have winter weather...so i got my wife the 250 RWD. It great on gas and a beautiful ride. The fit, finish and quality are impeccable. But we also have an awd/4wd 06 Grand Cherokee for the wintery weather.(if there ever is any)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I live in Ontario Canada, and I own an IS350. Use the proper tires for the conditions you encounter, that's why there are winter tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didnt have any choice as there are only 250 in Australia. That said i would not have spent anymore money than what i have, cos anymore you would have to consider BMW/Mercs.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The IS350 is MUCH faster. I'm shocked at the difference every time I get a loaner 250 from the dealership.

If you really need AWD, consider an Audi. If you really want an IS, get a 350 and a set of winter tires.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The IS350 is MUCH faster. I'm shocked at the difference every time I get a loaner 250 from the dealership.

If you really need AWD, consider an Audi. If you really want an IS, get a 350 and a set of winter tires.
Ditto. A decent set of winter wheels & tires (with TPMS sensors) can be had for around $1500. If you consider that your summer tires will last longer with only 8 months of use, it's not too bad. Also, it could mean the difference between staying on the road or ending up in the ditch.

-Mike

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Ditto. A decent set of winter wheels & tires (with TPMS sensors) can be had for around $1500. If you consider that your summer tires will last longer with only 8 months of use, it's not too bad. Also, it could mean the difference between staying on the road or ending up in the ditch.

-Mike

Exactly. Or you can do like me and go the cheap way: just get the tires for around $800 and use the same wheel year round.

I have Blizzark LM25 on stock 18" wheels, they work great on that car.

Though if you have the money to spend, get a set of 17" winter wheels...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Exactly. Or you can do like me and go the cheap way: just get the tires for around $800 and use the same wheel year round.

I have Blizzark LM25 on stock 18" wheels, they work great on that car.

Though if you have the money to spend, get a set of 17" winter wheels...
Thats cool. So what do you pay for the tire swap twice a year?

-Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
I struggled with this very same question. Ended up getting the 250AWD and thought I made the wrong decision. Then an ice storm hit and I was so surprised how well the AWD did on icy roads & hills. I went places I know a 350 wouldn't have made it. So that was my reassurance I made the right move.

Sure there will always be a part of me that wished I had the power & speed of the 350, but honestly the 250 has enough acceleration for any situation really. Unless you want a pure racing machine / cop magnet, the 250 is the more versatile solution especially if you live in wet & occasional icy climate like I do.

Now if i lived in California or anywhere down south, I'd get the 350 all the way ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts