Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 is with only 80k miles, was wondering about the handling potential of this ride?
Any of you guys have an awesome suspension setup that you wouldn't mind sharing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stick suspension is solid, just doesn't handle good enough. Want to do some road course racing with the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quick question, have you done any track driving in this car or others? If not, then the general advice before modifying a car is to make sure the car is in good working order (no oil leaks, good brake lines, won't break) and then change the brake fluid, make sure you have good brake pads and go drive. As a novice you will not push the car hard enough to require massive modifications.

As for your original question, of course it can be modified to hold 1G on the skid pad, put 225 Hoosier R7's on your car and it will do that stock :)

Kidding aside, follow the advice above if you are a novice. If not then the suspension rabbit hole is as deep as you want to go. I currently have Fortune Auto 500's with 14k front and 12k rear springs. Feels great on the street and is adequate for the track. I'd want stiffer springs if this was a track only car. Other people have had good success with BC racing and KW V3's. If you have the money to burn then purchase the entire Fig's catalog and the car will handle great :)

Here is what I would recommend even if you are new and just want to spend money
1. Get good tires first (RS4's, RE71r, A052, etc)
2. Get a good alignment, max camber (can postpone this after other items since every change will require realignment)
3. Get good coilovers and do a corner balance

That will give you a good baseline to continue to develop. As you gain experience you will learn what you want to do to the car and what to modify.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the good advice! My last car was a '17 Mustang GT (performance package) with a Paxton supercharger. Pulled 1.18 G's in that car with stock suspension. Sold my mustang to buy some property and I have always wanted an is300, so I bought one. Would love to get our to handle over 1G on a budget for sure. Will start with good tires and some coilovers and go from there?

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts