Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some people telling me no? Many have no clue. Almost every gas station that I go to has it, I just drive away and look for a BP, which seems to be the last station not to have it.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Yes it is safe. Ethanol is a standard fuel additive in small quantities. Standard pump gas can have up to 15% ethanol in it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you could use e85 and what the specs of the car would be.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you could use e85 and what the specs of the car would be.
It really wouldn't change much since the car is tuned for regular gasoline. To take advantage of the higher octane of ethanol, you need to use either a higher compression ratio or more timing. Since the stock ECU works by detecting knock and retarding timing, as long as you have good gas in it and its not knocking it isn't going to make any changes to make more power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought it was tuned for premium gas, not regular gas?
It really wouldn't change much since the car is tuned for regular gasoline. To take advantage of the higher octane of ethanol, you need to use either a higher compression ratio or more timing. Since the stock ECU works by detecting knock and retarding timing, as long as you have good gas in it and its not knocking it isn't going to make any changes to make more power.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I meant standard unleaded, any grade.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Do you guys have ethanol in your premium fuel? We only have it in 87 and 89 octane.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
As long as you are using a 91+ Octane (Premium - unleaded) you will be fine..

I wouldn't put anything higher than 93 octane.

Joe Z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts