Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some Irotors about a week ago(300 miles) and I get some steering wheel shake when I brake under at certain speeds and pedal pressures, is it possible they shipped me warped rotors? What else might cause the steering wheel wobble?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Did you put new pads on?

I just put my rotors on w/ the used pads..I haven't had any problems...one little brake squeak, but I"m sur thats cuz I havfe $20 pads.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah new pads and rotors

mattssi said:
Did you put new pads on?

I just put my rotors on w/ the used pads..I haven't had any problems...one little brake squeak, but I"m sur thats cuz I havfe $20 pads.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
what is that?

All I had was 4 rotors in raggedy ass boxes... no instructions. just rotors.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed I had no instructions, I did some gradual stops from 30,40,50,60 before I pressed the brakes hard but that is it.

mattssi said:
what is that?

All I had was 4 rotors in raggedy ass boxes... no instructions. just rotors.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i thought you shouldn't put new pads and rotors at the same time?

i thought the break in procedure also required you to brake heavily...?

sentinel...what pads did you get?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from irotor.com and I used axxiss pads. I never broke in my other rotors.

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are cross drilled and slotted. no hard breaking for 200 miles? what nonsense is that ? If some one cuts me off on mile 100 I have to hit them or ruin the brakes? :lol:

joetx said:
for 200 miles...you're not supposed to break hard...you'll get more life and better quality if you had the cross drilled and powerslotted ones...although, you'll pay and arm and a leg for em...or you get try these next time...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33564&item=2451672049

well...thats strange that the shaking should happen...afterall...they are brand new...hmmm...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sentinel said:
They are cross drilled and slotted. no hard breaking for 200 miles? what nonsense is that ? If some one cuts me off on mile 100 I have to hit them or ruin the brakes? :lol:

joetx said:
for 200 miles...you're not supposed to break hard...you'll get more life and better quality if you had the cross drilled and powerslotted ones...although, you'll pay and arm and a leg for em...or you get try these next time...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33564&item=2451672049

well...thats strange that the shaking should happen...afterall...they are brand new...hmmm...

He meant avoid hard braking if possible, unless its an emergency and you really have to come to a sudden stop.

I'd say give it another 100-150 miles for the pads and rotor seat properly. If the problem persist then it's possible that the rotors are warped. There factors that may contribute to warping such as improper seating/bedding/break-in procedure, hard braking when the rotor was still new or it may have been warped already when shipped to you.

It is important to follow proper bedding/brak-in procedure to prolong the rotor life and make it resistant to thermal stress.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ya...avoid it...

if the brakes dont seat right...yes...you can have problems...

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe there not these are not the first brakes ive installed, Ill check the seating but they look fine.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
So, its ok to blow up a shuttle since it is rocket science?

And....just because you put rotors on doesn't mean break-in instructions autmatically get formed before your eyes.

AND, I didn't know you could use 12mm screws to pop the rotors off. I had to do that on all of mine.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
I put those on as well Sentinel. I put the Green pads on and those rotors. I remember going on to their site or someone elses for break in instructions.

After about 1k - 2kmiles I had a shake and took them in to get turned. It lasted really well and I didn't have any shake for quite some time including several autocrosses. Just recently they started a little in the front right rotor. Nothing major but just a little. I'm going to take them in and get turned again and throw some new pads on this time as well.

I'd either return them or "turn" them. probably turn them though.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is very disappoint my first set of cross drilled / slotted with 20k and a track day with nothing. I didnt know you could get them turned Ill check that. Might be cheaper to return them and/or buy another set.

How do u know which is warped?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
Sentinel said:
That is very disappoint my first set of cross drilled / slotted with 20k and a track day with nothing. I didnt know you could get them turned Ill check that. Might be cheaper to return them and/or buy another set.

How do u know which is warped?
yep you can turn them. check w/ the shop first so they know how to do it. They have to take there time and just do a small amount each turn. Otherwise it will grab one of the slots and gouge it.

on mine I could just feel that the front right was pulsing a little. Generally you can feel it. If it's both fronts then turn them both. It's cheap to turn them. I think it cost me 30-40 for both fronts or somehting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.