Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen the other threads about hooking up ipods to your stereo and there all using the large plug on the ipod. i have my ipod hooked up to the head phone jack and on the other end are RCA plugs. those are pluged into the audio in on the back of the cd player. the sound quality isnt the best. if i were to use the other plug on the ipod and hook up the ipod a different way would the sound quality be alot better or the same?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket HU? The factory HU doesnt have RCA inputs (unless its modded). If its aftermarket, thats going to be the best connection to use unless its damaged. If it's a modded factory HU, maybe theres a problem with the wiring.

PS...this is better suited for the Mobiletronics section. May get more info there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ive seen the other threads about hooking up ipods to your stereo and there all using the large plug on the ipod. i have my ipod hooked up to the head phone jack and on the other end are RCA plugs. those are pluged into the audio in on the back of the cd player. the sound quality isnt the best. if i were to use the other plug on the ipod and hook up the ipod a different way would the sound quality be alot better or the same?
I've always been a fan of the Line Out over the head phone jack. I've been doing it since the days of the Sony Discman. I just like the constant volume form the ipod and then only using the HU as the volume control. Sounds better too.

I've used this cable in the past but will be using the Grom interface in my IS.

SiK, Inc. :: imp

·
Registered
367 Posts
i did the aux-in mod and it sounds perfect. theoretically, that's the best way because the signal goes straight from the audio source directly to the amp without having to go through the HU which may cause little attenuation, but it's probably negligible. either way, you probably can't tell the difference. I believe it's analog either way via the rca or the ipod conector. Even if the ipod connector is digital, it will still be converted into analog through which ever interface you use.

So:
Aux-In
iPod(Analog) -> Amp(Analog) -> Speakers
Interface(If Digital)
iPod (Digital) -> Interface (Digital to Analog) -> Amp(Analog) -> Speakers
Interface(If Analog)
iPod (Analog) -> Interface (Analog) -> Amp(Analog) -> Speakers

i don't know if i'm 100% right but I'm pretty confident in my post

·
Registered
797 Posts
GROM is the way to go, after figuring out how to get it to work whenever you want it to its a great cheap solution.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yeah the Grom is the easiest route. I've heard mixed reviews on it, but its a lot cheaper than the SouundLinq SLU, which I have. The grom wasnt out when I got it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have GROM installed to work with the oem headunit, but after a couple of plays, it just stopped working and eventually broke.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i did the aux-in mod and it sounds perfect. theoretically, that's the best way because the signal goes straight from the audio source directly to the amp without having to go through the HU which may cause little attenuation, but it's probably negligible. either way, you probably can't tell the difference. I believe it's analog either way via the rca or the ipod conector. Even if the ipod connector is digital, it will still be converted into analog through which ever interface you use.

So:
Aux-In
iPod(Analog) -> Amp(Analog) -> Speakers
Interface(If Digital)
iPod (Digital) -> Interface (Digital to Analog) -> Amp(Analog) -> Speakers
Interface(If Analog)
iPod (Analog) -> Interface (Analog) -> Amp(Analog) -> Speakers

i don't know if i'm 100% right but I'm pretty confident in my post
yeah this is a great post.. i couldn't have given ya better advice myself!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to have GROM installed to work with the oem headunit, but after a couple of plays, it just stopped working and eventually broke.
Just got the GROM unit today, I hope it doesn't meet the same fate.

All the DYI threads I've found tells me to pry up the felt flap on top of the center console, but my IS has an intergrated push-button lid in my tray. And the felt piece is integrated within. Tried for like 30 mins to pry it up, no luck. Anyone know if I just have to keep trying or do 2004 models have a special trick to it?

I really want to get this thing going. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts