Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the apple store today to look at the new ipod video. its awesome! the guy said it can hold 150 hrs of video. since the new IS has the ipod hookup, would it be possible to hook in the ipod video and watch videos on the screen when the car is in park, like u can watch dvds? if its possible i will get one but if it cant i will just get a nano. can anyone help me before i make my decision? thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont think so. The "iPod interface" is really just an aux audio input. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ianneub said:
I dont think so. The "iPod interface" is really just an aux audio input. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you are right. I just got back from test driving the 350. I asked him about the interfacing with the actual NAV screen. It doesn't do that. I asked him if in future models, if it did, would it just be a software update so if somebody got one now they could update it. He said probably not.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
There is no Ipod interface in the new IS - there is an aux-in jack. It is not Ipod-specific.

Marketing people use the word ipod now like Xerox - a brand name representing the entire market of a product. In this case Ipod is being used like "mp3 player"...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, ipod nano it is. a black on will look sexy in my black on black is350.... when it comes in...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
blue_sagi said:
thanks for the replies, ipod nano it is. a black on will look sexy in my black on black is350.... when it comes in...
blah to hell with the nano...get a black ipod video...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
U can hook up anything 2 the aux input as lond as u have a mini plug output on the source u hookup or a rca to miniplug.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
What I mean by the above statement is u can hook up any MP3 player, Minidisc, Walkman, PSP and others , XM or Sirius but the new IS offers I believe XM.

·
Registered
482 Posts
it is an rca input which is the way it should be. fuck the ipod...not everyone buys ipods contrary to what some people assume. There are better sounding and better functional mp3 players out there but I guess people want to be lemmings and buy what the masses buy.

The beauty about the ipod video is the assumption by most that it is the first video playing mp3 player when there have been others on the market for a while now.

I wish I had stock in apple...release an inferior mp3 player that only got where it is because of the most trivial of things- its styling...like that matters for sound reproduction. Then again, most who buy ipods prolly dont give a shit about sound quality so the perdy case design is the main thing.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Rob L said:
The beauty about the ipod video is the assumption by most that it is the first video playing mp3 player when there have been others on the market for a while now.

I wish I had stock in apple...release an inferior mp3 player that only got where it is because of the most trivial of things- its styling...like that matters for sound reproduction. Then again, most who buy ipods prolly dont give a shit about sound quality so the perdy case design is the main thing.
The iPod sells very well for 2 reasons.

A. It is really easy to use, even for somebody who can't use a remote with their TV.

B. Apple made it easy to get music into the device via iTunes.

That's it. The other companies didn't think about this when trying to sell mp3 players. Not everybody is a tech wiz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wait so if you get the NAV you can put a dvd in there and watch a movie while in park? is the dvd drive in the trunk? THanks for the help

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:
The iPod sells very well for 2 reasons.

A. It is really easy to use, even for somebody who can't use a remote with their TV.

B. Apple made it easy to get music into the device via iTunes.

That's it. The other companies didn't think about this when trying to sell mp3 players. Not everybody is a tech wiz.
Do you think that even I could hook one up and play it in my IS?

·
Registered
148 Posts
IS 250 said:
wait so if you get the NAV you can put a dvd in there and watch a movie while in park? is the dvd drive in the trunk? THanks for the help
Yes you can watch dvds if you have ML and NAV. There is a 6-disc in dash dvd changer with ML...

But do everybody a favor and seach before you speak! You'll manage a lot better on here if you try and inform yourself instead of making posts where the answers are so easy to find.

There should be an orientation for newbs....

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
If I am not mistaken, there is an interface you can purchase for the iPOD that connects to the the Nav system which allows to control the ipod via the radio controls. With this interface, you may be able to watch vids as well.

I have not seen it, a friend of mine was talking to me earlier, as he wants to pick one up for his GS430. From what he tells me, the interface costs as much as the iPOD, about 250 bucks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
jamesdean17 said:
But do everybody a favor and seach before you speak! You'll manage a lot better on here if you try and inform yourself instead of making posts where the answers are so easy to find.

There should be an orientation for newbs....
Is there a Lexus or IS specific wiki anywhere? I find that searching through forums for information sucks big time. Wiki's make it tons easier when you are looking for information.

If there isn't i'd be glad to start and host one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts