Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys please help me. I purchased IS300 today and my model does not have ipod cable. Since I recently moved to san diego I use iPhone's GPS to get around. I still have this _http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-PHV-200-BL-Mobile-Device-Holder/dp/B0014S5FVQ car mount that I used with my camry before.
So my question is, what ipod kit will be long enough to connect to iPhone when its in vent holder? Also what ipod cable kit charges iphone on a go?
Finally, sell me one!! Or send me to the right store... Btw I was in bestbuy today, they said they do installation for about 70$, wow is that normal?
I thought it is just 30 minute job, which not worth to charge like attorney :)
Thanks for help!

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I was looking for something without radio. To have better sound quality...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Look into the GROM unit that can be purchased off Ebay. It hooks up to the stock IS radio and tricks the stock radio into thinking it has a CD changer hooked up to it. A lot of people has had bad luck with it, but I'm one of the few that haven't had any issues with it. There was a flaw in the original design but they seem to be selling the remedied version of the unit which is what I have in my IS right now. Sound quality is awesome and beats those silly radio transmitters with crappy sound.

Here's one of their auctions. Lexus IS 99-08 Toyota GROM AUX adapter MP3 iPod #TOYA - eBay (item 400100417818 end time Feb-05-10 12:24:51 PST) You can either use a RCA cable or tell them you want the iPod cable. There is a drawback if you expect it to charge your iPhone which it doesn't. I have a 3G and have it hooked up when I drive. It's a good thing it doesn't charge since I don't like overcharging my phone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Look into the GROM unit that can be purchased off Ebay. It hooks up to the stock IS radio and tricks the stock radio into thinking it has a CD changer hooked up to it. A lot of people has had bad luck with it, but I'm one of the few that haven't had any issues with it. There was a flaw in the original design but they seem to be selling the remedied version of the unit which is what I have in my IS right now. Sound quality is awesome and beats those silly radio transmitters with crappy sound.

Here's one of their auctions. Lexus IS 99-08 Toyota GROM AUX adapter MP3 iPod #TOYA - eBay (item 400100417818 end time Feb-05-10 12:24:51 PST) You can either use a RCA cable or tell them you want the iPod cable. There is a drawback if you expect it to charge your iPhone which it doesn't. I have a 3G and have it hooked up when I drive. It's a good thing it doesn't charge since I don't like overcharging my phone.
hmm maybe the newer ones dont charge but mine charges and ive had it for about a year

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
i have the grom and love it. i have the version 2 that charges my iPhone 3GS

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If you get the vaistech solution, they charge 3g and 3gs. IMO I think this is the best for sound quality route other than getting a whole new headunit. The sound is SO much better.

vaistech.com

I have the Sli and its awesome. Very nice unit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can attest to the ease of the GROM adapter. Install was a breeze, it charges the iPhone/iPod and you can control through the stock headunit and still use things like GPS apps on the phone.

Unfortunately, the track read-out on the stock headunit doesn't tell you things like track or album title and you can't search your library like you might be able to with a Pioneer or Alpine unit, but for the price and ease of install, it's a really good value.

Btw I was in bestbuy today, they said they do installation for about 70$, wow is that normal?
I thought it is just 30 minute job, which not worth to charge like attorney :)
Thanks for help!
You can do the install yourself. Search the forum for the process to remove the headunit.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The first generation iPod wasn't released until 2001...the same year the IS was released. There's absolutely no way that an auto manufacturer could have prepared for iPod integration back then, and as such, there's only aftermarket solutions available.

If you're looking for something that's going to charge and control the iPod, you're going to be spending $$$ and you still need to rip out the cd player, so save your money and just replace it with an aftermarket unit.

The Grom unit is moderately priced and will provide you with an aux input (still requires you to remove the stock headunit to install), or you could also modify the stock wiring to install your own input (see http://my.is/forums/f103/aux-aux-out-sticky-220767/).

Your 3rd option is a transmitter, which is easy to install, and inexpensive. Some of them are hardwired directly into the antenna input to provide a better signal.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I can attest to the ease of the GROM adapter. Install was a breeze, it charges the iPhone/iPod and you can control through the stock headunit and still use things like GPS apps on the phone.

Unfortunately, the track read-out on the stock headunit doesn't tell you things like track or album title and you can't search your library like you might be able to with a Pioneer or Alpine unit, but for the price and ease of install, it's a really good value.
"This interface will let your MP3 player or iPod to be played through the car stereo speakers, but it will not let you to control MP3 player or iPod and it will not charge the iPod or MP3 player" :confused:

Edit: GROM v2 apparently does this http://cgi.ebay.com/GROM-iPod-V2-Ad...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885d43ea1

·
Registered
180 Posts
"This interface will let your MP3 player or iPod to be played through the car stereo speakers, but it will not let you to control MP3 player or iPod and it will not charge the iPod or MP3 player" :confused:
Where did that come from? I've been able to charge my iPhone and select tracks and playlists using the "next track" and "next disc" functions, respectively, on the stock headunit. Maybe there are limitations for the '01 headunits?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I did the Dice box, very similar to the GROMM, if you have a 2004 and above, the DICE is supposed to show text on your stock headunit as well so u can see the tracks you are selecting etc etc

The DICE controls the Ipod using stock headunit controls (volume, change tracks, change playlists/albums/artists). It also definitely charges the Ipod

·
Registered
14 Posts
the cheapest way and the only i did was buy a tape adapter, it gave me great sound from my ipod without spreading too much money. All you need to do is turn the BASS down to (-4) on your stock stereo when you're using your iphone is connected to tape adapter to get the best sound from your ipod or iphone

·
Registered
181 Posts
the cheapest way and the only i did was buy a tape adapter, it gave me great sound from my ipod without spreading too much money. All you need to do is turn the BASS down to (-4) on your stock stereo when you're using your iphone is connected to tape adapter to get the best sound from your ipod or iphone
thanks for that info i'll try the settings later, but i would have to agree tape adapter is still useful in this new generation of electronics!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the tape adapter too as I find it works better than the FM modulator but the sound quality is really still sub par compared to a true AUX in :(
I agree, I have a tape adapter right now and I find my self listening to FM radio more since the quality of that is even better than the tape adapter. I need to find a true aux-in solution like the aforementioned products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.