Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased the GROM iPod adapter and it works well. But now I need a way to mount my iPhone.

Requirements:
1. Must look clean
2. Must be easy to remove iPhone
3. Must keep iPhone secure (no flying iPhones)

I came up with a couple solutions:

1. Painted my iPhone dock black (Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint - Gloss Black)
2. Business Card Holder with foam weather stripping tape and 3M double sided tape

Where to mount:

1. In the "cubby hole" beneath the TRAC OFF button
2. In JDM Dash Tray

So, all in all I have tried both options in both positions. Nothing was taped down because I haven't made my mind up as to what I am going to use and where.

Any input and advise will be appreciated.

And last but not least, the pics:

iPhone Dock in the JDM Dash Tray:

iPhone Dock in the "cubby hole":

Business Card Holder in JDM Dash Tray:

Business Card Holder in "cubby hole":

(side note, with iPhone dock, I can not watch videos correctly)

·
Registered
601 Posts
are you looking for functuality or...

i mean, why are u mounting it?
so u can see the video?
see if someone calls/txt?
do u have one of those AWESOME homemade gps's with it?

little more details ;-)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you looking for functuality or...

i mean, why are u mounting it?
so u can see the video?
see if someone calls/txt?
do u have one of those AWESOME homemade gps's with it?

little more details ;-)
i want to mount it so that i can use it: watch videos (when parked), play music and see who is calling.

and i dont want a mount that sticks out too much. putting it in the JDM dash tray would be ideal, because i could close it up when im done. but the lid would flop around when driving.

no gps.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Bro, the last option looks best.

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you are going to use it to watch videos...it only seems practical to put it in the dash tray...business card style...IMO

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
no he is using the grom, and like all of us, needs a way to mount the iphone or pod somewhere.

D

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Well if you want to watch videos, the last one is really the only way. However, instead I would recommend doing something else. Take the ash tray and line it with felt or something (I've seen it done before). I'm pretty sure the iphone will fit in there. Then somehow make the dock fit under there. I forgot what thread it was, but somebody did it for an ipod and it looked good.

and are you using invisibleshield on that? i can the protector on the front. i just put on a Bodyguardz shield myself =) good stuff

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if you want to watch videos, the last one is really the only way. However, instead I would recommend doing something else. Take the ash tray and line it with felt or something (I've seen it done before). I'm pretty sure the iphone will fit in there. Then somehow make the dock fit under there. I forgot what thread it was, but somebody did it for an ipod and it looked good.

and are you using invisibleshield on that? i can the protector on the front. i just put on a Bodyguardz shield myself =) good stuff
i was thinking about replacing the ashtray, but my only problem with that is, i dont want a hole when i take the iphone out. i looked into that and will revisit it. i was going to cut into the plastic part attached to the shifter bezel (ash reay removed) and stick the dock in that so all that would stick out was the metal part. will snap some pics of what it would look like.

yeah i am using the invisible sheild. its ok. but i figure its good enough for now. i figure im going to be replacing it soon (on iPhone number 3) but no problems with this one, so far *knock on wood*

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks cleaner horizontally under the Trac Off button but functionality is better in the tray IMO. I am thinking of getting the GROM as well for my iphone but do you get that annoying speaker feedback when a text or call is coming in? Or when the phone downloads an email? Currently mine is just hooked up to an FM modulator and the feedback is terrible.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks cleaner horizontally under the Trac Off button but functionality is better in the tray IMO. I am thinking of getting the GROM as well for my iphone but do you get that annoying speaker feedback when a text or call is coming in? Or when the phone downloads an email? Currently mine is just hooked up to an FM modulator and the feedback is terrible.
nope no GSM interference. works like a charm and as mentioned, it fades the volume so you can hear the car/ text/ message come in.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was messing around with the dock today after work and...
it does not work with the GROM adapter. there is no audio and i have a feeling it is because the iphone dock as a 3.5mm line out jack.

so, scratch the iphone dock as a mount.

business card holder for the win.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i was messing around with the dock today after work and...
it does not work with the GROM adapter. there is no audio and i have a feeling it is because the iphone dock as a 3.5mm line out jack.

so, scratch the iphone dock as a mount.

business card holder for the win.
Really?

All the adapters, work..

A message should appear saying that it does not work but then when you go to the ipod itself, It should transmit.

strange

1 - 20 of 34 Posts