Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
once again... just got an IS250 2 days ago so still a newb lol....

question is... when my Iphone is plugged into the aux input.... there is a whining noise through the speakers that gets higher pitched as i accelerate. sometimes its barely noticable but most of the time you can definatly hear it. Bluetooth is also active and the phone sits in a cradle that is plugged in to the cig lighter.... any ideas on how to make this stop??

edit: only happens when listening to music in AUX MODE. when not in AUX mode i obviously don't hear it...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like your audio feed to your aux input is picking up radiated RF interference from the engine alternator. This is usually caused by a poor ground between the alternator and vehicle chassis and/or possibly by a battery that is starting to go bad. The battery capacity acts as a filter for RF noise from the alternator output. As a battery starts to lose its capacity, it filters less of the RF noise leaving more Radiated RF interference.

I've never heard of cell phones or Bluetooth picking up alternator whine, so it is probably getting induced through the power connection to your cigarette lighter. Do you still hear it if your phone is connected to the aux input without being connected to the docking station/cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue, and noticed it's definately associated with the cigarette lighter. I always leave the ipod unpluged for charging since I have no idea on how to fix it.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
That's a 3.5->3.5 plug.

If you want better sound get a DOCK to 3.5 plug so you get a line level out from the device and not an amped one.

(and let Lexus fix the whine issue free if you're still under warranty)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know which Technical Service bullitin it is so I can direct the lexus dealer to fix it and hopefully not try and screw me on it? Thanks..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Never mind..found it...

TSIB AU001-07 (2006–2008 LEXUS IS 250, IS 350, 2007-2008 ES 350, LS 460, 2008 LS 600h): NOISE FROM AUXILIARY PORT WITH EXTERNAL DEVICE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts