Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have kind of a random question, hopefully someone can shed some light.

Obviously there is a dealer invoice price that is relative to the base MSRP price for any random vehicle. I would assume that as a customer adds various options to the vehicle, the dealer invoice goes up....the question I have is, how much does the dealer invoice increase? For example, say someone adds a $1,000 option to a vehicle, I'm guessing the dealer doesn't pay that full $1k....so what percent of that do they pay? Sorry if this is a dumbass question. Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
There is no real hard and fast answer here. It really depends on the option.

If you really want to know for a specific set of cars use edmunds.com, they give an idea of what invoice is vs msrp including the various options.

As an example, take an 07 CTS, the 17" Wheel Sport package has an msrp of 1940 in the US, the invoice is 1610. So the dealer makes a whopping 330 on that one.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I'd bet they make more than you think.

A car dealer typically makes most of its money in the service and parts department.

The real issue is that when you start adding accessories, options, and packages, it gives you less bargaining room because the car you want is very narrow and specific. A dealer really wants to move its inventory, but doesn't particularly enjoy ordering very customized cars for customers. So the consequence is that stock inventory gets bargaining room, while custom orders don't get that room to the same degree.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'd bet they make more than you think.

A car dealer typically makes most of its money in the service and parts department.

The real issue is that when you start adding accessories, options, and packages, it gives you less bargaining room because the car you want is very narrow and specific. A dealer really wants to move its inventory, but doesn't particularly enjoy ordering very customized cars for customers. So the consequence is that stock inventory gets bargaining room, while custom orders don't get that room to the same degree.
i agree with your first statement. the dealerships make more on optional parts and i think the "invoice" price is still far from what they pay for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts